Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028790 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2535 on: January 16, 2015, 04:21:50 pm »
Re the Portuguese Cafe.

Had a look this afternoon and not the least bit impressed.  The place looked shabby with absolutely no atmosphere, very dark inside and nothing to encourage one to enter.  The "menu" on a piece of A4 tucked inside an excercise book plastic folder did little to inspire me or the Mrs.  Whilst the menu was in Portuguese we did not notice any "typical" Portuguese offerings.  One staple dish of Portugal, Frango Piri-piri, was conspicuous by its absence, (thats Chicken with Piri-piri).  We also regarded the prices as being on the high side for the dishes on offer.  As much as we like Portuguese food there will need to be major changes before we go over the threshold! 
 ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #2536 on: January 16, 2015, 04:54:04 pm »
I also meant to say that the Prohibition bar is owned by the people who run Characters tea room in Llandudno.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2537 on: January 16, 2015, 09:59:34 pm »
As this new place is Portuguese, I will mosey along and give it the once over.  Surprised that it is, or looks, dirty as the Portuguese are very clean people.  The dirty ones one actually sees in Portugal are generally run by ex-pats from the UK who think we all want a "greasy spoon" cafe when we are on holiday.
 ZXZ

I think you will find that there are NO Portuguese people involved in this venture............  an Eastern European chap that I know is involved, plus his girlfriend has been seen within.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2538 on: January 16, 2015, 10:21:57 pm »
I saw it this afternoon, looked like Stevie Wonder had painted it, as for the windows.... About as inviting as an abotoir!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2539 on: January 17, 2015, 04:48:25 pm »
Our neighbour recommended a cafe that we didn't even know existed in Llandudno and on Thursday my wife and a friend paid a visit to the Rabbit Hole in Trinity Square and they really enjoyed the meal there.  She liked everything about the place and today insisted on taking me there.
The place is a delight to visit, it is very tastefully themed and spotless inside.   I enjoyed a delicious Tuna melt pasta while my wife had a spicy bean casserole which she also thoroughly enjoyed.
It's well worth a visit and we'll be back there soon and I've seen something on the menu that I'll have next time,       $good$

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #2540 on: January 17, 2015, 05:16:11 pm »
I've walked past a few times of a lunchtime and must say it looks lovely there, I shall have to try it out soon.
The Imperial Hotel serve a nice lunch , especially if you manage to get a window table, I took the family there over the Christmas break.
We are on the whole quite lucky to have so many choices in the area I feel.

Anybody been to the Queen's Head lately?
I'm told it has been for sale for a while now, the owners have done a grand job over the years.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2541 on: January 17, 2015, 06:06:27 pm »
Queen's Head?
Fester...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2542 on: January 17, 2015, 06:33:02 pm »
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2543 on: January 17, 2015, 07:26:37 pm »

The Imperial Hotel serve a nice lunch , especially if you manage to get a window table, ...............

Last time I went it tasted a bit woody, but at least the four of us did get a leg each!    _))*
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2544 on: January 22, 2015, 11:41:54 pm »
Yorkie texted me today, and reminded me about Burn's Night, and asked if I had got some Haggis in.
I hadn't, although I do like that lovely, spicy, meaty treat!

So tonight, Mrs F and I were down in town wondering where to go for a meal, and for some strange reason we found ourselves in Wetherspoon's having a quick drink while we decided.   
Looking around, we saw posters for Burn's Night food, and looking at the plates being delivered, it looked delicious.

To cut a long story short, I ordered the Highland Chicken Burger, (it was a choice between Beef and Chicken), and when it arrived it was a full Chicken breast, topped with salad, a pile of Haggis, Onion Rings, etc... and accompanied by Whiskey Sauce and a portion of Chips.   To go with it, I had an Isle of Jura single malt..... the whole lot £7.09.
An absolute bargain.   There were many other varieties of food , whiskey's etc involved in the Scottish offer.

Mrs F had Haggis, Neeps and Tatties..... and that was priced at £2.49     

This offer ends on Sunday night, (Burn's Night), but I will be going again before it's gone.... it really was excellent.

Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2545 on: January 23, 2015, 08:29:09 am »
Didn't make too deep a hole in your Sporran then?    _))*
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2546 on: January 23, 2015, 08:51:39 am »
This offer ends on Sunday night, (Burn's Night), but I will be going again before it's gone.... it really was excellent.
Perhaps they have had the microwave serviced?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2547 on: January 23, 2015, 11:56:47 am »
Don't knock it til you've tried it..... and I'm trying it again..... tonight!  ZXZ $dins$ $dins$
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2548 on: January 23, 2015, 12:24:16 pm »
Sold your soul to that thing in your profile picture!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Tips
« Reply #2549 on: January 23, 2015, 12:45:05 pm »
There isn't a personal service as such in a supermarket though, even less with self service check outs.

I was in Home Bargains in Colwyn Bay yesterday and the cashier was having a very loud chat with the other cashier two tills away!
she scanned my items broke from her convo  to say "£6.80" and that was it! went back to conversing with the other 'employee' Didn't say another word, no please, thank you, nothing.