Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028860 times)

craigollerton

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2280 on: August 03, 2014, 08:30:23 pm »
Salmonella is a good way to loose weight !

_))*

craigollerton

« Reply #2281 on: August 03, 2014, 08:32:05 pm »
Craig, have you not seen the awful Tripadvisor reviews for Harvey's?

No I haven't, I haven't been there either though I had intended to. Hickory's it is then  $good$. I'm expecting big things with this Hickory's, everyone is raving on about it.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2282 on: August 03, 2014, 08:32:25 pm »
Why do members think no local entrepaners have invested in a trendy bar for town.

There are much better ways of investing for better returns without any of the hassle.  :)

I would go for it if I was younger - good luck to you - go for it

Already have!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2283 on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:35 pm »
Craig, have you not seen the awful Tripadvisor reviews for Harvey's?

No I haven't, I haven't been there either though I had intended to. Hickory's it is then  $good$. I'm expecting big things with this Hickory's, everyone is raving on about it.

I've only heard good things about Hickory's but unfortunately as we are veggies there is little on the menu that appeals to us.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline systema

« Reply #2284 on: August 03, 2014, 08:42:13 pm »
We are oldies so have a bus pass which also allows us to go on the train to our favourite veggie resaurant ever.
The Alpine Coffee Shop and Gallery is one of North Wales' most popular Cafes. Situated on Betws-y-Coed railway station at the heart of the Snowdonia National Park it is busy throughout the year.  Love the Alpine - got to be our favourite ever.
http://www.alpinecoffeeshop.net/

Offline systema

« Reply #2285 on: August 03, 2014, 09:09:25 pm »
Going on the train tomorrow morning - have a walk round betws y coed - lunch at Alpine - back home to Llandudno - who wants more than that ??

craigollerton

« Reply #2286 on: August 03, 2014, 09:11:19 pm »
Sounds nice Systema, enjoy your excursion. Don't forget to post your pics! Hope the weather is nice for you.

Have a beer on us  Z**

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2287 on: August 03, 2014, 09:29:38 pm »
 I have mentioned this before. Harveys, terrible reports and reviews. My own experience, went in with my family soon after it opened and my youngest daughter refused to eat there. Apparently over words with some of the staff over baby changing facilities. So we all traipsed out.
  But whoever Harveys is are not put off a little bit. They have purchased the old Marsh, later renames Marsh Warden in Rhuddlan which has been closed for many a year. And pulled the whole lot down, every last brick. On what looked to outward appearances a good solid building which had served as a pub and eating house for years.
  A completely new building will house a Harveys. I imagine a dine in and/or drive through.
   So much for bad reviews.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #2288 on: August 04, 2014, 12:48:57 am »
The typography, branding and colour scheme look a right state in my humble opinion. Isn't every cafe in Llandudno a seaside cafe? It does nothing to appeal.
Pop in next time you're  passing and give them some advice based on your  vast experience in the catering and retail trade
I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #2289 on: August 04, 2014, 08:44:53 am »
Why do members think no local entrepaners have invested in a trendy bar for town.

Lack of foresight Wrex? About 6 years ago I wracked onto a local business man friend of mine with a fair few buck in his pocket and said, you know what do well in this town, an American style diner. Anyway, he never capitalised on my advice, but what do you know, Hickory's and Harvey's opened up and well seem to be doing damn well, especially Hickory's. Now was I wrong or was I right? If I had the money in my pocket back then, i'd of opened one myself.

Now for my next prediction...

An all-you-can-eat buffet where all the food is out on display and being constantly refreshed because it's so busy! Whoever opens one first wins!

I think a nice trendy bar would do well in this town Wrex, one without any expense spared on the fixtures and fittings, a real classy establishment with a full-length cocktail bar, with professional cocktail makers who can entertain as well as serve. They would have to be just pricey enough to keep the riff raff out right Wrex?

Bet that car park at Hicory's and surrounding area is spotless.
We had a pub for 20 years before we retired and my cleaners would clean all the surrounding areas before they did the pub inside  as we all said the what you see outside is what you will get inside and this is why we will not go into a mucky outside any eating place,

Your business frontage is what people see first. There are various places locally that I wouldn't set foot in, let alone eat, as someone said Why can't they hose down the greasy residue and sweep up the tab ends outside? If what you see there is left like that I hate to imagine what the kitchen is left like !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2290 on: August 04, 2014, 08:51:32 am »
I agree that many local businesses leave a lot to be desired with regards to the exterior appearance of their properties. Of course, the owners have a million and one other things to think about , but it's important not to let things like that slip. Attention to detail is the difference between a good and a great business.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #2291 on: August 04, 2014, 09:07:50 am »
Now for my next prediction...

An all-you-can-eat buffet where all the food is out on display and being constantly refreshed because it's so busy! Whoever opens one first wins!

The Afon Conwy do all you can eat buffets each evening and they get very busy pretty much every night.  Mrs FA and I popped in last Wednesday on spec thinking we'd be ok mid-week but we had to wait about 30 minutes for a table.  Admittedly it's not the finest quality food but Wednesday is currently "Hot dogs & burgers" night so for £6.99 you can take your pick from burgers or cheese burgers (with or without bun), frankfurters or battered frankfurters (with or without hot dog roll), grilled chicken breasts, breaded chicken, chips, onion rings, chilli, BBQ beans, bacon, fried eggs and no doubt a few things I've forgotten about.  There's also a salad bar but why anyone would want salad when they can have an unlimited supply of burgers and hot dogs I've got no idea.  I washed mine down with an unlimited refill soft drink (choice of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Tango Apple, Tango Orange or R. Whites Lemonade) so you can eat and drink as much as you can for less than a tenner  D).

There's a different theme each evening, currently there's also Fish & Chips, Currys, Mexican, Italian and Chicken Shack on Saturdays.  Strangely there's no Chinese at present but they do change things around from time to time.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

craigollerton

« Reply #2292 on: August 04, 2014, 09:23:42 am »
The typography, branding and colour scheme look a right state in my humble opinion. Isn't every cafe in Llandudno a seaside cafe? It does nothing to appeal.
Pop in next time you're  passing and give them some advice based on your  vast experience in the catering and retail trade
I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated

I do not claim to have 'vast' experience in catering and retail though I have enough of an insight into the industry to adapt my services and creative styles. I do however have 'vast' experience as a professional creative designer, in branding, merchandising, corporate image, have lectured in design and have a handful of awards to my name within my area of expertise. On top of that for the early part of my career I designed and produced all manners of business stationary including menu's and signboards! So yes, I think that qualifies me to have a sturdy opinion that I think it looks sham. This case it probably isn't the business to blame, but the sign writer or 'graphic designer' who has been let loose on the brief, "Our Café is going to be called this, can you knock something up for me" with little thought gone into it and no questions asked, and that's my point.

Maybe the interior will have something to shout about, i'm hoping to see some lit up starboard and portside lamps on the walls, beach netting hung from the ceiling, alternate blue and white striped beach hut style tongue and groove, maybe even an old ship wheel or port hole windows on the wall, not to forget a hanging mobile seagull above your table would make a good talking point. To me it just looks like any other greasy spoon café, if it was my café (famous old adage, i'd do this i'd do that) I would be saying to myself how am I going to differentiate from other businesses in town, that's your 'unique selling point' or USP. Why pick me over them? because everywhere else is full and this café is empty? or because your being enticed in some way? Because you only have to look at the number of cafe's in town, how does one choose? Creating an experience through branding is a great way of delivering that but it has to be from the outside in, and above all your product has to deliver on top of that.

Whilst most here care to comment on the state of the pavement outside, loose fag ends, seagull cack on the windows. I prefer to share my professional opinion, load of tips here I normally charge for this! Ask me about pocket watches Mike, I know jack all.

Right, i'm going for a brekky, anyone else up for one?  _))*

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #2293 on: August 04, 2014, 10:12:56 am »
Had mine ages ago-- Orange juice, a nice bacon sandwich and a cup of very strong black coffee.

Dave R.-- you have a good business head ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

craigollerton

« Reply #2294 on: August 04, 2014, 10:56:07 am »
Had mine ages ago-- Orange juice, a nice bacon sandwich and a cup of very strong black coffee.

Dave R.-- you have a good business head ! ;D

$good$