Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028672 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #1800 on: September 11, 2013, 09:43:26 pm »
Driven by a hunger created by a drinking bout with Dave R, I decided to try the new Orme Fish and Chips in Upper Mostyn Street.

I bought Haddock, chips and curry sauce.  I have just finished it, and it was very good indeed.  $dins$
When you are so hungry that only fish & chips will do, then it really has to be decent.
I will be back there again, very good quality fish and chips.   I recommend it.

The two young lads who run it keep a very clean and presentable shop.   
In fact we had a longish chat whilst the haddock was being fried, but I can't remember a single thing they said.. due to the beer consumed.  $drink1$ $drink$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1801 on: September 11, 2013, 09:51:37 pm »
A good thing you didn't fancy a Staffordshire Oatcake...  :laugh:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #1802 on: September 12, 2013, 12:56:33 am »

L0L

Offline Trojan

« Reply #1803 on: September 12, 2013, 12:58:02 am »
I decided to try the new Orme Fish and Chips in Upper Mostyn Street

What an original name.  :roll:

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1804 on: September 12, 2013, 01:15:01 pm »

Think you are getting an obsession with the need for an oatcake ! _))* _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Linda

« Reply #1805 on: September 12, 2013, 10:27:44 pm »
Could someone enlighten me are the staffordshire oat cakes everyone talks about on here the wholemeal savoury pancake or like the scottish
version which is like a  cracker or biscuit for cheese etc. I do buy from asda or tesco their Oat cakes like pancakes to grill and use with bacon or cheese or a desert with honey or syrup, fruit and cream . Just asking  ???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1806 on: September 13, 2013, 12:00:16 am »
Could someone enlighten me are the staffordshire oat cakes everyone talks about on here the wholemeal savoury pancake or like the scottish
version which is like a  cracker or biscuit for cheese etc. I do buy from asda or tesco their Oat cakes like pancakes to grill and use with bacon or cheese or a desert with honey or syrup, fruit and cream . Just asking  ???

I fear that in respect of the ones 'coming soon' to Llandudno, we may never know...  :(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Linda

« Reply #1807 on: September 13, 2013, 12:35:34 am »

I fear that in respect of the ones 'coming soon' to Llandudno, we may never know...  :(

How very sad i fear we missed a culinary treat, can we blame this one on the Council  L0L

Offline hollins

« Reply #1808 on: September 13, 2013, 07:35:47 am »

Hi Linda,

Staffordshire Oatcakes are the rolled up kind not the biscuits. and are usually filled with bacon and cheese. Here is a link to a shop in Leek that makes them although Tosh is right, I think they should really come from Stoke-on-Trent to be totally authentic.
http://totally-locally.co.uk/leek/hidden-gems/leek-oatcake-shop/

Come on Llandudno Oatcake shop......we are giving you plenty of publicity on here. Hopefully there will be a real demand when you open if only out of curiosity!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1809 on: September 13, 2013, 09:38:27 am »
Someone told my OH this morning that she doesn't know how to cook them ! I can believe this as someone I know was asked by her how to cut men's hair when she had the barbers shop.

:o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Linda

« Reply #1810 on: September 13, 2013, 09:50:02 am »

Hi Linda,

Staffordshire Oatcakes are the rolled up kind not the biscuits. and are usually filled with bacon and cheese. Here is a link to a shop in Leek that makes them although Tosh is right, I think they should really come from Stoke-on-Trent to be totally authentic.
http://totally-locally.co.uk/leek/hidden-gems/leek-oatcake-shop/

Come on Llandudno Oatcake shop......we are giving you plenty of publicity on here. Hopefully there will be a real demand when you open if only out of curiosity!

Thanks for the conformation Hollins the ones in the photo at the shop in Leek look so good, much better than the slighty rubbery supermarket versions.

Offline Linda

« Reply #1811 on: September 13, 2013, 10:10:00 am »
Someone told my OH this morning that she doesn't know how to cook them ! I can believe this as someone I know was asked by her how to cut men's hair when she had the barbers shop.

:o

Oh my! thats a little scary and hairy! hope the shop manages to open though
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:24:33 pm by DaveR »

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1812 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:50 am »
Here's the Hairy Bikers recipe for Staffordshire Oatcakes - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/staffordshireoatcake_92371

It gives the preparation time as "over 2 hours" and cooking time as "30 mins to 1 hour" so you'd need to get up earlier in the morning to be open in time for breakfast  :o.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Yelboh

« Reply #1813 on: September 16, 2013, 09:09:29 pm »
Well, all is well with the world, Characters is back as No1 in Llandudno on tripadvisor.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1814 on: September 17, 2013, 08:39:44 am »
The Staffordshire Oatcake shop seems to be getting rearranged again. Still no sign of opening though.