Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028788 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #1365 on: May 05, 2013, 08:17:34 am »
There's no correlation between the price of something and the quality of something. Perception can be that something is naturally better because it costs more, but that's not always the case.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1366 on: May 05, 2013, 08:34:39 am »
Because, to be honest, call me a snob, but I don't fancy spending my free time in a church hall or a drug rehab charity shelter.
Fair play to those who do, but its not for me.

You are a snob, Fester.

Those establishments need public support for different reasons and I would hardly call Caffi Cais a drug rehab charity shelter.

In the past, we have also been into Wetherspoons where it is not unusual to see both you and Mrs Fester taking breakfast.

With two breakfasts in Wetherspoons costing around £7.25 in total, in future, you may wish to consider practising what you preach.

Everyone likes a bargain every now and then, but by the same token lets have no more moaning when you see shops and eateries boarded up.

Buff Orpington

« Reply #1367 on: May 05, 2013, 11:33:29 am »
Most people want value for money and £7.25 for one glass of wine certainly is not good value!

I couldn't agree more.

BUFF

Buff Orpington

« Reply #1368 on: May 05, 2013, 11:55:04 am »
I for one prefer charity run cafes, not because I'm parsimonious. I simply prefer my money going towards a worthy cause than the already vast coffers of some multinational corporation. 

I also find the staff to be more pleasant in charity cafes, they are motivated by supporting the charity, or because they enjoy the social aspect, rather than it merely being a 'job' ..

The Caffi Cais mentioned above was already on my list of places to visit after reading Bri's report of his recent visit I will be going next week.

BUFF

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1369 on: May 05, 2013, 01:31:07 pm »
I have paid less for a (better) glass of wine served by an attentive waiter on St Mark's Square in Venice, and in Greenwich Village in New York, listening to the resident pianist than at the Deganwy Quay Hotel, who, incidentally had an appalling vocalist murdering well know popular songs.

Whilst it's foolish to consider the cost of everything and forget the ambiance and experience, I was horrified by both the price and the experience at the Quay. Incidentally, I am informed by Mrs B that the local establishment with the best selections of wine at reasonable prices is Witherspoons.

As a real ale drinker, Witherspoons does a good job, but with the best will in the world, the ambiance is rather lacking.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #1370 on: May 05, 2013, 08:13:57 pm »
Buff - you should also try Cafe Dewi at St. Davids Hospice - very good value for money, lovelycoffee and cakes and soup and a sandwich for lunch is more than enough for the price.  The volunteers are very friendly and yo meet some vey nice people there.

Buff Orpington

« Reply #1371 on: May 05, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »
Buff - you should also try Cafe Dewi at St. Davids Hospice - very good value for money, lovelycoffee and cakes and soup and a sandwich for lunch is more than enough for the price.  The volunteers are very friendly and yo meet some vey nice people there.

Thanks for that WR. I've actually been in touch with St. Davids recently to inquire about volunteering for them, didn't know about the cafe.

BUFF

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1372 on: May 06, 2013, 01:21:10 am »
Bri / Buff...

I do have breakfast in JD Wetherspoons from time to time, as it is good value and quality. As I said, everyone likes a bargain every now and again.  However I could get it  cheaper elsewhere in the places you mentioned, So I am not sure what your point is?   

By the same token you won't see me moaning and crying if (for example) Kava closes down. It would be disingenuous of me seeing as I don't buy breakfast there very often.

Buff, you say you prefer to spend in charity places?... and thats fine, but please don't moan when the streets are full of nothing but charity shops.   Oh, hang on.... we are pretty much already there!
Maybe you could lobby a charity shop to open a pub, so that you can swig a bottle of £2.99 wine whilst sat on a nice fold up chair beside a formica table?

I have paid over the odds in Deganwy Quay on several occasions with Mrs F, Dave R etc... but I realise that I am benefitting from a view of a medieval castle, an estuary replete with yachts, and a sunset over beautiful Welsh mountains.
I would much rather invest in that 'memory' than a cheap pint in The Carlton.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1373 on: May 06, 2013, 07:49:29 am »
Can we just calm down, everyone, please?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Buff Orpington

« Reply #1374 on: May 06, 2013, 07:59:48 am »
 ;D

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1375 on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:11 am »
Fester,

I do not eat breakfast in Llandudno when I have a kitchen at home but my point is by you eating breakfast in Wetherspoons you must be eating the cheapest breakfast in Llandudno and going against your own advice.

Everyone likes a bargain every now and then, but by the same token lets have no more moaning when you see shops and eateries boarded up.

You will not get a cheaper cooked breakfast in the 'church hall or a drug rehab charity shelter' , as you like to call them, because they do not make them as far as I know.

As for Kava, I like the service and I would certainly recommend it to forum members but, unfortunately, I do not like the style of their coffee cups.

On the other hand, for many reasons, I would recommend Clare’s for a pot of tea and a teacake for £2.20 and also Café Express for a pot of tea and a crumpet for £1.99.

It must be my age but I do not like ordering two coffees, handing over a £5 note and getting no change which is what happens in one or two places in Llandudno these days.

Regards

Brian

Offline Tosh

« Reply #1376 on: May 06, 2013, 08:59:01 am »
Is it true that Buff was kicked out of Yorkshire for being tooooooo rude?
I have always liked the Yorkies for their direct approach but I think a small apology should be forthcoming to our Fester.
Come on Buff, think before you "Post", once you've hit the button it's too late to take it back.
Tosh

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1377 on: May 06, 2013, 09:49:16 am »
It must be my age but I do not like ordering two coffees, handing over a £5 note and getting no change which is what happens in one or two places in Llandudno these days.
That certainly wouldn't happen in Caffe Nero, you'd have to hand over a fiver and a pound coin to get two large Lattes!  :laugh:

Buff Orpington

« Reply #1378 on: May 06, 2013, 09:56:07 am »
Is it true that Buff was kicked out of Yorkshire for being tooooooo rude?
I have always liked the Yorkies for their direct approach but I think a small apology should be forthcoming to our Fester.
Come on Buff, think before you "Post", once you've hit the button it's too late to take it back.
Tosh

I should apologise to Fester??

Maybe you could lobby a charity shop to open a pub, so that you can swig a bottle of £2.99 wine whilst sat on a nice fold up chair beside a formica table?

NO

Buff Orpington

« Reply #1379 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:16 am »
I have always liked the Yorkies

PS: As I recall "Yorkies" are a small breed of Terrier?