Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028693 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3900 on: August 07, 2021, 10:05:55 am »
A former bistro in Llandudno left untouched for nearly a decade has now come on the market.

Number 1’s Bistro, on Old Road in Llandudno, was taken on by Howard and Annie Daniels back in 2003 - with Annie in the kitchen and Howard front of house.

But the couple retired from running the site more than eight years ago.

A spokesman for William Gleave said: "An opportunity to acquire this former 'Bistro' restaurant with four bedroom maisonette above and off road parking to the front.

"This imposing late Victorian residence is in need of renovation throughout and would be an ideal project for the discerning buyer. "

It is on the market for £315,000.     

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/property/llandudno-bistro-untouched-closing-nearly-21234611?IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline SteveH

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways hotels staffing crisis
« Reply #3901 on: August 14, 2021, 09:56:47 am »
North Wales hit with hospitality staffing crisis despite boom in staycations and surge in tourists
Hotels, bars and restaurants are struggling to recruit workers in what looks like the region's busiest ever summer

Now exclusive figures from Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) show the scale of vacancies in Wales, as the region looks to capitalise on a bumper year for visitors.

In June, when pubs and restaurants were getting ready for “Freedom Day” on August 9, there were 5,837 vacancies in the hospitality sector in Wales.

That’s more than twice the 2,497 vacancies recorded in June 2019.

Kitchen and catering assistants were the most wanted across the country this June, with 2,195 open positions (up from 888 in 2019), followed by 1,869 vacancies for chefs (up from 847) and 497 bar staff jobs (up from 205 in 2019).

It comes after a bi-annual report of UK destinations, published by Sykes Holiday Cottages,saw North Wales dislodged Devon and Cornwall from the top spot for 2021, for summer holidays.

The top three locations in Wales include two in the north, Anglesey and Llandudno, with Barmouth named the third fastest-growing destination in the UK and Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy) in sixth spot.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-hit-hospitality-staffing-21290775

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3902 on: August 15, 2021, 10:04:59 am »
As Wales recovers from the pandemic, there are more new jobs in Gwynedd but fewer in Cardiff, a think tank says.

Research from the Resolution Foundation says the bounceback has been uneven across the UK.

Communities where work is reliant on tourism have seen the number of jobs increase in recent months.

In contrast, the numbers of people working in cities such as Cardiff continue to lag behind the pre-pandemic levels.

The report says not only are more people spending their holidays in the UK but many are still working from home and not making trips to work in bigger cities.

Initially during lockdown communities that depended on tourism and jobs in hospitality were the hardest hit.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58184055

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3903 on: August 16, 2021, 09:40:19 am »
Former Greene King boss snaps up 18 historic coaching inns - including two in Wales

Two of the inns are in Wales - the Castle Hotel in Conwy and the Royal Oak Hotel in Welshpool.

cont  https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/19511924.former-greene-king-boss-snaps-18-historic-coaching-inns---including-two-wales/?ref=rss&IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3904 on: August 16, 2021, 11:46:45 am »
Former Greene King boss snaps up 18 historic coaching inns - including two in Wales

Two of the inns are in Wales - the Castle Hotel in Conwy and the Royal Oak Hotel in Welshpool.

cont  https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/19511924.former-greene-king-boss-snaps-18-historic-coaching-inns---including-two-wales/?ref=rss&IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

That's very good news to hear Steve, it means I won't have far to go to get a nice pint of Abbots Ale  $drink1$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3905 on: August 18, 2021, 09:46:41 am »
Serious staff shortages remain in the food and drink industry despite 21,000 more people in Wales being out of work compared with a year ago.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said there were 62,000 unemployed people at the end of June, down 6,000 on the previous three months.

There are also 68,000 furloughed jobs and it is not known if employees will have work to return to when the scheme finishes at the end of September.

Employers in the hospitality sector are having to compete for staff, driving up wages.

For years it has been an industry dominated by low pay and has struggled to be seen as an attractive industry with a strong career path and opportunities to develop.

As a result, employers have relied on staff from EU countries where the industry is rated more highly, but many of those employees have returned to work in the EU since Brexit.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58241503

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3906 on: August 18, 2021, 11:01:59 am »
Seems to be exactly what Fester forecast at the time of the referendum. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3907 on: August 23, 2021, 11:08:49 pm »

That's very good news to hear Steve, it means I won't have far to go to get a nice pint of Abbots Ale  $drink1$

It is very good news, the place needs a good clean and better management. Hopefully, this is the beginning of something good.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3908 on: August 25, 2021, 10:10:43 am »
Just heard West Shore Chip shop closing down ?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3909 on: August 27, 2021, 11:30:33 pm »
Seems to be exactly what Fester forecast at the time of the referendum.

Yes, Ian.
Sadly it has only just started to come to pass.
I went on to predict shortages of fresh food, and also meat and chicken, from abattoirs and farms.
You see British people simply don’t want to do jobs like that anymore, especially young people.
I also predicted inflation.   
Im afraid that too is evident, and it’s going to get a whole lot worse.
Very ominous for those with pensions or savings.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #3910 on: August 28, 2021, 02:13:36 pm »
I rarely go in to town but did so the other day and noticed we have at least one Big Issue seller back on the streets. Considering the number of businesses, particularly in hospitality, that are desperately short of staff I'm surprised that there is still a need for this means of getting gainful employment but there again it's a soft and possible lucrative alternative to actually working.
Am I being totally unjust in my opinion?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3911 on: August 28, 2021, 02:19:10 pm »
Time to empty the Job Centres.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3912 on: August 28, 2021, 03:56:20 pm »
I rarely go in to town but did so the other day and noticed we have at least one Big Issue seller back on the streets. Considering the number of businesses, particularly in hospitality, that are desperately short of staff I'm surprised that there is still a need for this means of getting gainful employment but there again it's a soft and possible lucrative alternative to actually working.
Am I being totally unjust in my opinion?

I would imagine that most people feel the same as you do Dave, apart from one or two do-gooders.     It's begging, no if's or buts and it's illegal
The Police should remove them from the streets and take them to the Police Station where Social workers can give them any help or advice or dare I say it, try to find them employment
Before anyone says that they were not asking for money, I parked at M &  S  for about 10 minutes and during that time the guy sitting on the floor in the drizzle was given money on four occasions.   Not once did he refuse to accept the money and in fact he was also given a very small package by an equally scruffy individual.
It's not picking on people who are down and out as there is help out there for anyone seeking it.   People need to take some responsibility themselves

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3913 on: August 28, 2021, 08:32:06 pm »
Hugo that guy outside M & S was given a flat a local girl sorted getting him one people helped decorate and kit it out he last a few weeks before him and his druggy mates trashed it. 😡

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3914 on: August 29, 2021, 08:53:55 am »
You just can't help some people Norman unless they are prepared to help themselves and it certainly wasn't a sweet in the package that the guy was given.
I remember some trouble in Abbey Road when it became a place for the homeless and vulnerable  people and this article seems to back it up.        .     

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ghost-town-warning-after-homeless-21414688