Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 651037 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #1575 on: March 18, 2016, 02:30:02 pm »
B&M ? Just been for a look at the place. Excellent pricing and a wide choice of goods. Bright and clean too........if a little mind blowing ! Actually got what I went for as well. My OH needed a sprayer to treat the garage roof with woodworm killer, so 99p is fine to throw away afterwards.! Many grocery items were below supermarket prices, so we will see how it goes. ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1576 on: March 18, 2016, 04:36:57 pm »
Always interesting to see what information we can discover. Homebase was founded by Sainsbury's and GB-Inno-BM in 1979, the company was then owned by Home Retail Group from October 2006.  GB-Inno-BM owns and operates more than 600 Maxi GB and Bigg's Continent hypermarkets. The company is based in Brussels, Belgium. As of July 25, 2000 GB-Inno-BM operates as a subsidiary of Carrefour. B & M was founded by Malcolm Billington as Billington & Mayman and the first store opened in Blackpool, United Kingdom in 1978 and was acquired by Simon and Bobby Arora from Phildrew Investments in December 2004. The chairman is Sir Terry Leahy, the ex-boss of Tesco who got out just before profits started to plunge. Home Retail Group is the subject of a bidding war between Sainsbury and Steinhoff. Fascinating times.

Didn't Boots and WHSmith get together to create some kind of DIY outlet? Do It All comes to mind but I may be wrong. British Home Stores (RIP) also teamed up with Sainsbury's to create SavaCentre stroes to sell a full range of groceries, clothing, electrical goods, etc. but it never really got off the ground.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1577 on: March 18, 2016, 10:34:39 pm »
B&M ? Just been for a look at the place. Excellent pricing and a wide choice of goods. Bright and clean too........if a little mind blowing ! Actually got what I went for as well. My OH needed a sprayer to treat the garage roof with woodworm killer, so 99p is fine to throw away afterwards.! Many grocery items were below supermarket prices, so we will see how it goes. ;D

We had a look this morning, very impressive too! A lot to see in there at good prices too!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #1578 on: March 19, 2016, 01:36:43 pm »
Help please
How much would the annual rent on a shop in Mostyn st be about ?

Many thanks

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1579 on: March 20, 2016, 01:09:54 am »
Depends whereabouts... upper Mostyn St (as in near the London Pub) around 12k to 18k
In Mostyn St proper, anywhere between £35k and £60k.
But the landlord of any empty property will tell you when you enquire
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1580 on: March 20, 2016, 06:46:35 pm »
National living wage 'to impact on Welsh firms'

The national living wage will have a disproportionate impact on Welsh firms, the head of the Welsh Retail Consortium has claimed.
The claim follows warnings 900,000 UK retail jobs could be lost as a result of pressures facing the industry, including the new minimum wage.
Ms Jones said the impact on employment had been "severely under-estimated" with job losses likely in Wales "where we have a more economically instable environment".
"We're seeing accelerated rates of shop closures in Wales, we're also seeing higher rates of footfall decline," she said.
"I think it's critical that we need to take action now to prevent further loss of jobs and to also ensure we have a supportive environment that encourages investment.
"So now is the time for us to see reform of areas such as business rates, something that the Welsh Government has power over to do."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35841258

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1581 on: March 20, 2016, 09:31:56 pm »
Although we have Mostyn estates bringing in new companies into town i really think it needs a person who is not looking toself gain to manage the whole town,a manager who will sell the town,we have everything going for us but there are lots of buisnesses who do not realise how good we are and need selling too.         

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1582 on: March 21, 2016, 09:23:56 am »
Although we have Mostyn estates bringing in new companies into town i really think it needs a person who is not looking toself gain to manage the whole town,a manager who will sell the town,we have everything going for us but there are lots of buisnesses who do not realise how good we are and need selling too.       
I agree. A Town Manager is a great idea for that reason, they could also work to obtain funding for refurbishment of public areas, organise events etc as well

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1583 on: March 21, 2016, 11:00:54 am »
My OH has raised this subject for years and is always told that is non-viable, we don't need one etc., etc. It seems that the powers that be just turn on the tunnel vision.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1584 on: March 21, 2016, 03:06:52 pm »
Went to have a look at M & B this morning and whilst there noticed the Sale in Sports Direct next door. Well worth a look at. My shoes were reduced from £80 to £21
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1585 on: March 21, 2016, 04:35:42 pm »
Went to have a look at M & B this morning and whilst there noticed the Sale in Sports Direct next door. Well worth a look at. My shoes were reduced from £80 to £21

Here is a challenge, try and find ANYTHING in sports direct that isn't reduced. You won't  ;D

apart maybe from the 5p carrier bags

Online SteveH

« Reply #1586 on: March 23, 2016, 02:10:41 pm »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/bhs-stores-llandudno-wrexham-could-11006433

BHS Ĺlandudno possably  under threat .

BHS creditors approve rescue plan

BHS has won a stay of execution after creditors voted in favour of the department store chain’s survival plan.

Landlords, suppliers and other creditors approved the 88-year-old retailer’s company voluntary arrangement (CVA), an insolvency procedure, at a vital meeting in a hotel in west London on Wednesday.

The approval of the CVA secures the short-term future of BHS’s 10,000 staff and 164 stores. However, the company still needs to restructure its pension scheme, which has a deficit of £571m and is likely to enter the Pension Protection Fund, and raise £100m so it can continue trading and fund a turnaround plan that includes modernising its shops and product range.
MORE,,,http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/23/bhs-creditors-approve-rescue-plan-company-voluntary-arrangement

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1587 on: March 23, 2016, 04:43:27 pm »
BHS creditors approve rescue plan

"Come and see our stores and you will be surprised."

Visited my local store yesterday and there were a lot of strangely empty areas devoid of all stock and loads of Easter Eggs & boxes of chocolates with scruffy photocopied A4 sheets promoting them. They've got a lot to sort out...

Online SteveH

« Reply #1588 on: March 23, 2016, 04:59:22 pm »
Sorry I think the above link may be faulty.....here is the latest update....Thanks Ormemac... $good$

BHS chief asks public for second chance as retailer wins crucial vote

“We want to make it an iconic British brand again. There will be no popping champagne corks tonight. We would like the British public to give us a second chance. Come and see our stores and you will be surprised.”

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/23/bhs-creditors-approve-rescue-plan-company-voluntary-arrangement

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1589 on: March 29, 2016, 09:50:32 am »
I see that Mostyn Estates are applying to use one of the units in the Victoria Centre as a food retail outlet...could it be a Little Waitrose on the way?