Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 651456 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #2130 on: July 14, 2020, 11:21:37 am »
Online grocer Ocado says the switch to internet shopping amid the coronavirus lockdown has led to a "permanent redrawing" of the retail landscape.

Its comments came as it said sales during the first half of 2020 jumped 27% to more than £1bn.

"The world as we know it has changed," said chief executive Tim Steiner.

"As a result of Covid-19, we have seen years of growth in the online grocery market condensed into a matter of months; and we won't be going back."

"We are confident that accelerated growth in the online channel will continue, leading to a permanent redrawing of the landscape of the grocery industry worldwide."

He said Ocado was now the fastest growing grocer in the UK, thanks to a 50/50 partnership with Marks and Spencer announced last year.

As part of the deal, which saw M&S take a half-share in Ocado's retail business, Ocado will start delivering M&S grocery products from September, when its current deal with Waitrose expires.

full report   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53402767

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2131 on: July 20, 2020, 04:54:33 pm »
Less obtrusive that I imagined ............

Lidl announces opening date for Llandudno Junction supermarket
The German discounter secured planning permission for the site back in November 2017

Cont plus video        https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/lidl-announces-opening-date-llandudno-18627816

Offline Robbie G

• Management board member
« Reply #2132 on: July 21, 2020, 02:36:33 pm »
I am glad you like the new store who else but C.C.B.C. would give planning permission in full view of a World Heritage Site  ,and as an added bonus the smell from the sewerage pumping station is free .the site would have been better  utilised as a Park & Ride facility to serve Conwy or a as a site for the new  Archive building , the Supermarket is not really needed the a area is well serviced by 5 other Supermarkets .

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2133 on: July 24, 2020, 03:20:20 pm »
UK retail sales were near pre-lockdown levels in June, as the reopening of shops released pent-up demand.

The amount of goods sold last month increased by 13.9% compared to May, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
Separately, a closely watched survey showed that activity in the UK's services and manufacturing sectors returned to growth last month.

However, economists warned that the country's recovery would take time.
June's rise in retail sales followed record falls in April and a partial recovery in May as the coronavirus pandemic led to widespread shop closures.

But it masked "big changes" in retail, with food and online sales up, while clothing was still "struggling", the ONS said.
Online sales continued to go "from strength to strength", the ONS added, accounting for £3 out of every £10 spent by consumers.

Demand at food stores remained strong, hitting new highs for the lockdown period.
Compared with February, the volume of food sales was 5.3% higher while non-store retailing grew by 53.6%.

The ONS said the rebound had brought overall retail sales back to a similar level to where they were pre-lockdown, but there was a "mixed picture" in different store types.

cont   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53523682

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2134 on: July 27, 2020, 10:24:11 am »
Shoppers at Tesco will need to start paying more for home delivery after the supermarket confirmed it will scrap its cheaper slots.

We've put together a round-up of the changes at Tesco, and how it will affect you.

How much more will I have to pay?

Currently - Tesco charges shoppers between £2 and £7 for home delivery, depending on the time of day you choose.

However from August, the supermarket will change its prices to a fixed fee of £4.50 on all of its delivery slots.

More  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18609045.tesco-scraps-cheap-home-delivery-slots-much-need-pay/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2135 on: August 06, 2020, 05:00:47 pm »
M&CO’s long-established store in Llandudno is one of more than 200 of the company’s UK outlets to be saved.

This follows a financial restructuring exercise which has preserved 2,200 jobs.

The company, which has had a presence in Llandudno for more than 20 years, appointed administrators in April as the coronavirus outbreak forced the closure of most UK retailers for almost four months.

Andy McGeoch, M&Co’s chief executive, said: “It quickly became clear that best way to save most jobs and most stores was to enter administration, with a new company acquiring the assets of the old business, and this process has now been finalised. Covid has been by far the biggest challenge our family business has faced in almost 60 years, and I am really pleased that we have been able to maintain a presence in over 200 communities.

“Covid-19 means many people don’t feel comfortable travelling on public transport or visiting busy city centres and that can be good news for local High Street stores like M&Co. That’s why we are looking at ways of working in partnership with other local retailers to highlight the tremendous range of shopping that can be found in communities like this all over the country.

cont   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18633931.llandudnos-long-standing-m-co-store-saved---47-shops-will-close/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #2136 on: August 18, 2020, 10:46:04 am »
"never shop the same way again" ?

Marks & Spencer is cutting 7,000 jobs over the next three months across its stores and management.

It said the coronavirus pandemic had made it clear there had been a "material shift in trade".

In-store sales of clothing and home goods were "well below" 2019, although online and home deliveries were strong.

In a statement, M&S said it was "too early to predict with precision where a new post-Covid sales mix will settle. We must now act to reflect this change".

At the height of lockdown, M&S boss Steve Rowe said customers might "never shop the same way again" after the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53817598

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2137 on: August 18, 2020, 11:47:14 am »
It's the strength of their food offering that largely keeps M & S afloat, I suspect. But I suspect they missed the boat with Home deliveries; the fatal blow was probably when Waitrose started them, and M&S seemed content to rest on their laurels.

All the Home Delivery services offered by supermarkets run at a loss; especially given the nature of the terrain in North Wales. But Covid has changed everything. M&S has to adapt–and do so rapidly.

But Llandudno businesses are very, very slow to change. Some years ago I proposed a scheme which would have helped the shops and hotels simultaneously.  It was a very simple idea: the single thing that most deters holidaymakers from doing a lot of shopping is carrying the bags around town and eventually back to their hotel. I suggested an entrepreneurial type could set up a scheme whereby for a weekly fee, shops and hotels could join the 'Magic delivery' scheme.

It would work like this: on checking into their hotel guests would be given a card showing their hotel was a scheme member.  Shops in town would display a poster showing their membership of the same scheme. Then, when out shopping, anything a customer might buy is bagged, sealed and tagged with a special label giving name, hotel and a personalised code that would be pre-printed on their card. That code is key, as the hotel can use it to discover which room of the hotel the guest is in.

Shopper would then simply pay for the item, show the card and leave their purchase in the shop. At around 1600 the folk running the scheme would drive around and collect the bags from all the shops registered with the scheme. Those bags would all be taken back to a central location, possibly a room in a registered hotel, sorted by hotel destination, then put back into the vans, holding large boxes labelled by hotel, then by 1700 delivered to each hotel reception.

The hotels would take delivery, check the personal code on each label then do one of two things: either drop the purchases in the hotel room or keep them behind the reception to be collected by guests as they return to the hotel.

The major advantages of the system become apparent over time: people start to look for hotels registered with the scheme, so those hotels benefit directly. Likewise, shops in the scheme will find more custom coming their way. With no bags to lug around people are happy to buy whatever.

It works, too. When the kids were small, we stayed inn the US where the system was operated, and, although we stayed in a 1500 bed hotel,  getting back after an afternoon out to find a bed full of presents was truly magical. 

Of course, the scheme needs someone with drive and ambition to start it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #2138 on: August 18, 2020, 02:19:14 pm »
I think M&S's problem is firmly with their buying department.
A couple of years ago when you walked in to the menswear section ( of the now closed shop) you were met with a glorious blaze of colour with their summer range of polo shirts, shorts and such like.
Last week I went online and ordered two pairs of regular fit chinos and a couple more Polo shirts as my others have been well worn and proved excellent value. It only took from Friday to Monday to deliver free of charge via Royal Mail and I was impressed. Unfortunately the clothes were not suitable. My normal waist size is 36" and I struggled to get these chinos on despite having similar waist sized trousers from M&S. Not only tight around the waist, yes they are a stretch fit, but the thighs were far too tight. The Polo shirts in either  garish orange and yellow or totally boring whites or blacks so I took them back to the store in town. What greeted me was a shadow of the former store, the menswear section didn't seem to have much choice, certainly not 38" chinos in my colour of choice so I simple took a refund and walked away. I can't see me returning any time soon either, if that's all they can offer it's not for me.
PS If the regular fit is tight it's no wonder they had a huge stock of "slim fit" waiting to be sold!
PPS The Polo shirts used to be regular fit and tailored fit, now they only appear to sell regular fit which are rather generous in size. Can't win on their sizes!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2139 on: August 18, 2020, 03:08:28 pm »
Aye, you're right about their sizing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2140 on: August 18, 2020, 05:48:21 pm »
All of their cloths are now manufactured in the Far East and they just do not understand European sizes.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Dave

« Reply #2141 on: August 18, 2020, 08:50:52 pm »
It's a lack of size consistency from one garment to the next and a failure to identify their market in both male and female fashion.... and if truth be told for what they charge their food, well the convenience meal stuff, isn't actually that wonderful either.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2142 on: August 19, 2020, 06:28:11 pm »
Earlier in this thread the new Lidl was mentioned. Perhaps it was me, but when I managed to hobble in this afternoon for a quick look, I hobbled out more rapidly than when I went in. There doesn't seem to be any order with any thing. Food, toys, clothes and household things all seemed to be muddled up together. The bread and bakery goods looked lovely, but there you have it. I did buy a tiny miniature rose bush....and that was it!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2143 on: August 20, 2020, 08:45:31 pm »
Earlier in this thread the new Lidl was mentioned. Perhaps it was me, but when I managed to hobble in this afternoon for a quick look, I hobbled out more rapidly than when I went in. There doesn't seem to be any order with any thing. Food, toys, clothes and household things all seemed to be muddled up together. The bread and bakery goods looked lovely, but there you have it. I did buy a tiny miniature rose bush....and that was it!

Just like you Nem, we went in had a look and left. Shan't be rushing back either.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2144 on: August 20, 2020, 09:15:07 pm »
Not just me then! I thought that it was dreadful! As for social distancing, it was non existent.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.