Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336623 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1185 on: June 22, 2022, 05:19:53 pm »
Thanks very much for finding out about the Peony.      The flowers are so beautiful that I'll follow that advice and see what happens next year.
I've got a free token to get in to Bodnant so I'll have to use it before the 4th Sept 2022 so I hope to see you there when I do go to Bodnant

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1186 on: July 03, 2022, 12:59:22 pm »
During May and June I've not cut the lawn as often as I usually do and have kept a section of the lawn uncut so as to allow the Cowslips to grow,
I've also kept another part of the lawn wild for a few Common Spotted Orchids to grow and put plastic pegs near them so I know where they are.      Unfortunately when I lifted the pegs up to mow the grass I also mowed the Orchids too.      Now only one Orchid remains
The plant doesn't look impressive but the small flowers are quite pretty and I'm hoping that they will self seed in the lawn

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1187 on: July 03, 2022, 02:06:48 pm »
Hugo, Let's hope your orchid self seed as hoped for, I took some photos of our clematis, one looks similar to your orchid, and the other is a new one just starting to bloom.....

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1188 on: July 03, 2022, 10:39:58 pm »
They are very attractive Clematis Steve,  are they the large flowered ones as we have one that looks a bit like your Clematis

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1189 on: July 04, 2022, 10:34:00 am »
Hugo, they look similar, but your's looks slightly larger, I think ours is about 3 years old, the dark purple one we planted last season, it has a smaller flower, but seems to have plenty of buds about to open.

PS I seem to recall seeing a photos, of your summer house covered in flowers ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1190 on: July 04, 2022, 03:58:48 pm »
The shed is under there somewhere but last year the Clematis Montana Rubens had Clematis wilt and now looks more dead than alive.
I'm waiting for the Autumn before I cut it down just in case any birds are nesting there.The pruning of the larger flowered Clematis is easy as I cut them right back to near ground level and they seem to like Tomato Feed which helps with the growth

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1191 on: July 17, 2022, 12:39:05 am »
North Wales botanical garden rated as one of the most picture-perfect in the UK
It could be the perfect place to visit this summer for those stand-out Instagram pictures

Well done DVT and all those other helpers at Bodnant

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-botanical-garden-rated-24474844

Offline hollins

« Reply #1192 on: July 20, 2022, 07:53:44 am »
The sweet peas are doing well this year.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1193 on: August 04, 2022, 05:40:20 pm »
Thanks Steve,  it was pure luck that we saw those Terrapins.     I wanted to show Tellytubby the pons where I used to go fishing in my early 20's.    We's see Rudd, Roach, Eels and a few other types of fish but that was pre Mutant Ninja Turtles era
In the Rhyl Brickpond there were reports years ago about Terrapins that were as big as dinner plates but I've never seen any before in the wild

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1194 on: August 07, 2022, 09:54:42 am »
OOPS   meant to post it under gardening

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1195 on: August 07, 2022, 09:58:37 am »
I was waiting for Mrs H in Gloddaeth Street one day and noticed some furniture outside the old Lister's shop.     An unusual design but I sat on the bench and it was the most comfortable bench I have ever sat on.       In fact I sat on it a few times more while I waited there.
Mrs H came back and she liked it too so we bought a 3 seater bench and a table to go with it.
It's not in the garden but on the balcony instead

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1196 on: August 07, 2022, 10:15:35 am »
I like those, we are having a concreted patio paved this summer, and will be looking for seating that can be left out in all weathers, will definitely be having a look, Ta.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1197 on: August 07, 2022, 10:43:05 am »
If you go past the shop Steve sit on the bench and see what you think of it.    They do treat it but I'm going to put some Danish Oil on it this week while the weather is dry
It's very sturdy furniture and I can see myself having a a few beers on that table and it'll double up as a foot rest too

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #1198 on: August 07, 2022, 05:41:29 pm »
Hugo, that is a nice 3 seater bench
I wonder if plans are available ?
It's something that I could make if I have the drawings
John

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1199 on: August 08, 2022, 10:23:11 am »
Cordyline,   that bench was designed by one of the bosses that works at the shop and it was made by Crest  (  I think ) in accordance with the plans that the boss designed
Basically it's a simple bench consisting of smooth planks that measure roughly 8 inches by 2 inches.    The angles are the main feature that make the bench so comfortable
If you go past the shop sit on the bench and you'll see why I'm so pleased with it