Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 343468 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1035 on: April 18, 2020, 02:12:39 pm »
I must have had too much time on my hands this last 3 weeks because I've filled up about 18 green bags of garden waste and then I started on the lawn at the back of the house.     The grass hadn't grown that much but there were some individual Cowslips that had appeared in the lawn so I hadn't got the heart to mow them down.
I also found a spotted common Orchid whose leaves would have been cut by the blades of my lawnmower had I not noticed them so I've protected that from any future blades by putting an ornament near it.
The buds on the Rhododendron have only just started to open so hopefully it will be quite showy in a week or two

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1036 on: April 21, 2020, 10:51:51 am »
Severe restrictions will be placed on imports of some very popular trees and plants in an effort to halt a deadly infection.

Xylella fastidiosa has wreaked havoc on olive plantations in parts of Italy and has also been found in France and Spain.

To prevent the disease spreading to the UK, imports of olive trees and lavender bushes will now be curtailed.

There will also be restrictions on almond, rosemary and oleander shrubs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52360081

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1037 on: April 25, 2020, 12:48:42 pm »
I don't know if it's because I've spent more time in the garden recently but there seems to be more Dandelions than ever this year,
On Wednesday I was using a Roundup spot weedkiller on the dandelions in the front garden but ran out of the stuff half way through.  In the end I picked all the heads of the Dandelions but on Friday when I came to mow the garden there were just as many Dandelions back

It's not helped by the neighbours across the road either, while I mow the grass at least once or twice a fortnight they mow the verge about once or twice a year
Their next door neighbour however in the 10 or more years he has been there has not mowed the verge once.
It feels like I'm fighting a losing battle against the Dandelions but I've ordered 3 more bottles of the Roundup spot weedkiller anyway

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1038 on: April 25, 2020, 02:36:37 pm »
Funny you should say that, we have had far more dandelions this year, as have our neighbours. OK for them, their tortoise loves them and has a daily munch. Ours doesn't like them, so my oh removes the heads daily.Weedkiller is not an option because of the dog and the tortoise.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1039 on: April 25, 2020, 05:58:06 pm »
Tortoises do love the dandelion leaves but they would have to have a very good appetite to eat all out Dandelions.      Rabbits also like Dandelion leaves and years ago our pet Rabbits used to love eating them even if  our dog had left his mark on them first
When we had Marco we couldn't put any weedkiller down, but now we are able to do so.    I've noticed that since we lost Marco we have had more cats come into the garden and they are usually after the birds we feed so the sooner we have a dog to chase them away the better

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #1040 on: April 26, 2020, 09:59:54 am »
Six Tulips; yesterday  in my small garden

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1041 on: April 26, 2020, 05:44:38 pm »
Tortoises do love the dandelion leaves but they would have to have a very good appetite to eat all out Dandelions.      Rabbits also like Dandelion leaves and years ago our pet Rabbits used to love eating them even if  our dog had left his mark on them first
When we had Marco we couldn't put any weedkiller down, but now we are able to do so.    I've noticed that since we lost Marco we have had more cats come into the garden and they are usually after the birds we feed so the sooner we have a dog to chase them away the better

I'd rather have a dog any day !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1042 on: April 26, 2020, 05:54:12 pm »
Me to.     :(

When we had Marco we took everything out of the back garden that may have hurt him and it's surprising how many plants can be harmful to dogs

Apart from getting another dog which we can't do at the moment do you know of anything that will stop cats from coming into my garden?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1043 on: April 26, 2020, 05:57:00 pm »
Six Tulips; yesterday  in my small garden

That's a lovely photo and so nice to see so many different types and colours of Tulips        $good$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1044 on: April 26, 2020, 08:52:07 pm »
Me to.     :(

When we had Marco we took everything out of the back garden that may have hurt him and it's surprising how many plants can be harmful to dogs

Apart from getting another dog which we can't do at the moment do you know of anything that will stop cats from coming into my garden?

Same problem here Hugo, we have a very narrow passage at the side of the house which makes a very handy 'run through' for all the local cats. They say lion dung is a deterrent, but when I asked a friend who works at the zoo, I was informed that they weren't now allowed to sell it. I did see an advert somewhere for a product which contained it, but could just imagine what the dog would do with it. He's bad enough if we use bone meal on the plants. <:>

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1045 on: May 01, 2020, 12:39:10 pm »
The Rhododendrons are now flowering and the Clematis on the shed has also started flowering

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1046 on: May 03, 2020, 10:55:44 am »
Photos showing the beginnings of the season.........

These 32 pictures show North Wales' most beautiful garden blooming during lockdown
North Wales Live was given access to the National Trust's Bodnant Garden to take readers on a virtual tour of the attraction.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/trips-breaks/gallery/32-pictures-show-north-wales-18187431

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1047 on: May 03, 2020, 11:31:38 am »
Really beautiful photos to cheer us up in lockdown,   I hope that Bodnant will be open in the Autumn to see those Acers in colour

In the third photo is that DVT doing a runner down the path?

Offline DVT

« Reply #1048 on: May 03, 2020, 01:51:46 pm »
In the third photo is that DVT doing a runner down the path?

Wish it was!

Not been in since the Thursday before it shut.  Fortunately, there are a few gardeners and a couple fo staff going in and we are all kept up to date with the weekly newsletter that has included the photos that are on the Facebook page plus some extra.  For my part I have been writing articles recollecting my early years growing up there - not in the Hall, I lived at the bottom of the garden - I know my place!

I did hint at going for my daily walk there - I saw somewhere that you were allowed to drive to get your exercise as long as the time exercising was longer than the time driving - so 10 mins drive, 2 hours walk, 10 mins drive home would seem to comply with the restrictions - and I wouldn't have contact with anyone, other than from a distance.

I'm told the Canade geese have three youngsters this year - undisturbed at the Far End.  Some things seem to be flowering early - the handkerchief tree is well in bloom, and blue poppies are out.

Plans are being discussed as to what happens when restrictions are eased, so Idon't know when I can get back.  I suspect it will be very busy.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1049 on: May 03, 2020, 03:57:14 pm »
DVT. Will we get to read your articles ?