Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 366515 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1245 on: July 26, 2023, 09:41:10 am »
I was there last week visiting a friend who was poorly and we noticed how nice the gardens were,     Credit to all the volunteers who are making the gardens looking so good

Hugo, by coincidence last year, I met two men who looked like landscapers, Green Jumpers etc, they were, so I asked for a quote for our garden, they asked if I would like to see some of their work, and gave us a tour of St Davids new gardens, impressed they got the job.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1246 on: July 26, 2023, 03:18:55 pm »
From the garden photos you have posted Steve it looks like they have done a great job.    Keep posting the photos as it's always nice to see other peoples' gardens

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1247 on: August 05, 2023, 10:23:13 am »
Mrs H. enjoys her gardening, but has a problem, after picking the best plants from the tomato seed trays for planting, she cannot throw the others away, same with taking the side shoots off, she repots these, the result nearly 40 successful plants, its just as well that we thoroughly enjoy Italian style cooking using passata made from ripe, juicy, flavourful tomatoes cooked briefly and then removed from the seeds and skin. The result is a pure tomato juice with its pulp and nothing else,  we get enough to last till next season.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1248 on: August 05, 2023, 12:11:05 pm »
That sounds really tasty Steve and Mrs H's tomatoes look very healthy indeed,  I'm afraid that I've never had the skill or the patience for growing veg or fruit.

On a different type of gardening I was mowing my lawn the other day when there was an almighty sound coming from my lawn mower.
Apparently a piece of metal came off my machine and the rotary blades were making short work of the twelve inch piece of metal.
I switched off the mower immediately but  was quite surprised when the lawn mower started again so I finished off mowing the lawn
The problem is that all the grass cuttings were not all picked up so in effect I had to cut the lawn twice so I have invested in a new machine and this time it is self propelled which will be good for these old legs of mine
My old Honda lawn mower is about 35 years old and was last serviced about 1990 so it doesn't owe me a penny.     I'll still keep it and use it for mulching the hedge cuttings and will treat the new mower with more respect that I did the Honda mower

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1249 on: August 05, 2023, 12:49:06 pm »
Hugo, My gardening is more maintenance than growing things, Mrs H  deserve all the credit, and a good choice on the self propelled model, every little helps.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1250 on: August 05, 2023, 05:52:58 pm »
I've been pushing it uphill and downhill for about 35 years so I deserve a treat.     The Honda mower will now be semi retired but will be used for collecting all the hedge cuttings etc.     My next door neighbour used to cringe when he heard the noise coming from the mower as I was mulching all the wooden hedge cuttings

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1251 on: August 21, 2023, 02:00:12 pm »
I've not pruned the shrubs and bushes in my back garden for a couple of years so this morning I got all the equipment out ready to tackle the job.
The preparation took a while with the electric hedge cutter, loppers, secateurs, steps, garden waste bin and a lawn mower to mulch up the cuttings.    One final check on the circuit breaker and it was time to get cracking
The preparation actually took longer than the cutting because after only a few minutes I had sliced through the electric cable of the hedge cutter!
Ah well, it was time for coffee!
I've now repaired the cable and thank goodness the cable is long because it wasn't the first time that I have cut the cable.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1252 on: August 21, 2023, 03:51:19 pm »
Best laid plans etc.          ;)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1253 on: September 10, 2023, 02:06:59 pm »
Over the last week we have been painting our outside summer house, furniture and fences.....

Some time ago we purchased Cuprinol 5 Year Ducksback paint, from the now defunct Wilcos, for a very reasonable price 11pounds for 5ltrs., bearing in mind the short time factor, our first impressions are very good.

I have just noticed the B&M store in Llandudno, who have taken over Wilcos, are selling it for 5pounds for 5ltrs

For those interested here is a revue of the product....https://diygardening.co.uk/products/fence-paint-tested/cuprinol-ducksback-review/

Offline SteveH

Re: Gardening..........Wales in bloom awards 2023
« Reply #1254 on: September 12, 2023, 09:59:39 am »
ENTRANTS from all corners of Wales gathered in Denbigh to find out how they had done in this year?s Wales in Bloom.

While gardeners struggled to keep the displays flowering through the summer residents, visitors and judges were treated to some spectacular floral displays across Wales.

It saw many communities, schools, businesses and individuals in North Wales earn Gold and Silver status for their floral achievements.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23781672.top-awards-llandudno-conwy-wales-bloom/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1255 on: September 12, 2023, 11:24:26 am »
I noticed a few weeks ago that the leaves on my Maple Tree are changing colour already.    I suppose the weather pattern that we have had this year will have played a part in it.
If the trees are going to have a good colour this year then the Acer collection at Bodnant Gardens will be worth seeing

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1256 on: September 22, 2023, 10:04:33 am »
Expert's tips to keep rats away from your garden and bird feeders as population hits peak
Many people will be helping the birds out this autumn, but feeders can become tempting for rats and mean they frequently visit your garden

As UK garden birds need more food and water in autumn due to the harsh conditions and lack of natural food supply, adding bird feeders into your garden is an ideal way to help. However, this could quickly turn your outside space into a rat's paradise.

cont https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/experts-tips-keep-rats-away-27762632?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589 :565:

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1257 on: October 17, 2023, 09:09:34 am »
Monty Don shares tips on turning leaves into 'garden gold'
The ?easiest? way to make garden leafmould - and it's free

Leafmould, Monty explains, requires minimal effort. No turning, mixing, or elaborate know-how is needed - it naturally transforms into a crumbly, nutrient-rich texture. To harness this treasure, the gardening expert said he collects all fallen leaves, mows them to break them down, and stacks them in open heaps.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/monty-don-shares-tips-on-turning-leaves-into-garden-gold/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1258 on: October 18, 2023, 09:09:45 am »
An interesting and informative article...................

How to make sure plants don't suffer when using peat-free compost
Leaf mould, see above and chicken manure can help enrich your soil.

Many gardeners have been disappointed with the results after switching to peat free compost. While it might be environmentally friendly, comments on gardening forums frequently say it dries out very quickly and often contains pieces of wood and other debris.

Sales of peat to amateur gardeners will be banned in England from 2024 to safeguard our valuable peatlands. They take thousands of years to form, locking up vast quantities of carbon which is then released back into the atmosphere when the peat is dug up.

The Royal Horticultural Society stopped selling peat-based composts in 2019 and RHS gardens are already 98 per cent peat-free. But some gardeners are worried that seedlings and other plants will suffer when they go peat-free.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/how-to-make-sure-plants-dont-suffer-when-using-peat-free-compost/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1259 on: November 11, 2023, 10:45:00 am »
If you think trees are just for people with big gardens, think again
Hannah Stevenson gives you the lowdown on the best trees to grow on patios, terraces and balconies

You can bring the beauty of trees to a patio, terrace, balcony or even a windowsill, says Dr Gabriel Hemery, forest scientist, photographer and author of The Tree Almanac 2024. And they're not just for country folk or those with huge gardens.

While many other gardening activities wind down during the cold months, November to March is the perfect time to plant trees. Later this month, National Tree Week will see conservationists, volunteers and tree-lovers come together and get planting.

Experts at the Woodland Trust recommend planting trees when they?re dormant and less likely to get damaged. While many people don?t have the space for a tall tree with a majestic spreading canopy, they come in all shapes and sizes.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/if-you-think-trees-are-just-for-people-with-big-gardens-think-again/