Author Topic: System Announcements  (Read 158015 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: System Announcements
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2015, 03:34:58 pm »
Our hosts were subjected to a DDOS today - again. Which is why we were off-line for about five hours this morning.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2015, 07:14:29 am »
Since your post, there does not seem to have been any further postings by anyone!  Is there still a glitch or am I just not receiving them?   All other systems working as normal.   $thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:28 am »
There have been several, although none overnight.  We're back to normal now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Admin Team

• Administrator
    • Three Towns Forum
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2015, 05:42:00 pm »
Like and Dislike buttons

Following a suggestion by Hollins and others we're introducing a system whereby you can post in favour or against anyone's posting.

Each member will have "Like" and "Dislike" buttons under their avatar, and a third "Reputation" link will display an aggregate score. The way it will work is simple.  The number of Dislikes will be subtracted from the number of Likes, leaving a figure which will indicate the poster's overall score, which will be the figure displayed.

We hope to get this up and running in the next couple of days.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2015, 05:58:53 pm »
You knew that you would get a reply from me!

I think the idea, whilst appearing to be a good idea, is flawed.  I think it will stem active debate and particularly where a subject is a controvetial and where some people have firm or strong opinions.
Just my thought.
Dislike
Tick as appropriate!
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2015, 09:37:22 pm »
Like and Dislike buttons

Following a suggestion by Hollins and others we're introducing a system whereby you can post in favour or against anyone's posting.

Each member will have "Like" and "Dislike" buttons under their avatar, and a third "Reputation" link will display an aggregate score. The way it will work is simple.  The number of Dislikes will be subtracted from the number of Likes, leaving a figure which will indicate the poster's overall score, which will be the figure displayed.

We hope to get this up and running in the next couple of days.

Don't you think this might lead to more confrontation between members?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2015, 10:18:01 pm »
I would worry that a dislike option might deter people from posting. I was hoping that being able to like someone's post might encourage them to post more and encourage other members to post things if they can see it is going down well.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2015, 12:30:35 am »
The 'like / dislike' proposal is an unwelcome one, and will (in my experience) lead to squabbles and bad feeling.

I use ADVFN and other Forum's where the use of 'like / dislike' generates reams of irrelevant posts, where people seek to find out who voted them down, and for what reason.
Some of these squabbles go on for ages, serve no purpose and create paranoia in some cases.

The other thing I have against it is that it gives the ability to 'slag off' someone's efforts anonymously.
This Forum has always been a good place for open debate, and even if it gets a little heated at times, we usually know who it is we are talking to.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2015, 07:22:52 am »
Personally, I was looking to find a system where only 'Likes' would be registered, as I've always disliked the 'Don't like' option, but it doesn't exist as far as we can tell.

Anyhow, please keep the thoughts coming as it's helping us to decide whether or not to implement the idea.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2015, 07:23:57 am »

How d'you mean, Nem?

Offline hollins

« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2015, 08:04:45 am »
I don't quite see how the dislike option fits in. To me it is more that you disagree with a post in which case you can reply with your own views but to dislike a post?
Last night's post from The Medz was a good example of being able to like something. I wanted to say I liked his photos but this would have meant adding a boring post of me saying just that.
However if The Medz gets zero reaction he might think there is no interest so why bother.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2015, 08:32:23 am »
I like the idea of a like button, being used to Facebook I automatically look for it when I see something I like. As others have said I believe a dislike button would not be a good idea, probably why Facebook does not have it?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2015, 08:42:27 am »
For my part, I post either some information that I think folk will be interested in, or a point for discussion or my honest reply regarding any debate that interests me.  Whether others like them or not is immaterial, although I do hope that my opinions are respected, and received in the spirit in which they are made.
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2015, 08:47:24 am »
I've added in a 'Like' button to all Posts. It is not possible to dislike a Post, so no worries about it being used in a negative fashion.  $good$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2015, 09:11:34 am »

How d'you mean, Nem?

Exactly as others have put their thoughts--------a like button would be fine, but you only need someone who feels somewhat out of sorts to jab the 'dislike' button having looked at let's say --Hugo's wonderful walks, or Hollins super pics of her travels and the person who goes to so much trouble to please and entertain us would be offended and stop posting. My attitude to certain subjects like sport is--I know nothing about it, so I don't read it--. For me to say that I dislike the subject would be an insult to the person who takes the trouble to post. The same applies to things that let us say Hollins and I post on-Craft etc-- Most men aren't interested, but hopefully some of our lady members enjoy same.

Hope this answers your question Ian  ;D
Nem.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.