Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 393452 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #540 on: February 02, 2014, 05:46:34 pm »
If Shore Thing were foolish enough to contemplate doing as you suggest, in a time of austerity, when grants and outside funding are exceptionally hard to come by, they could very easily find themselves having to pay for the demolition of the Pier and for the subsequent clean up of the foreshore.

Not something that should be contemplated without a great deal of rational forethought.
I hardly think its likely they would own the Pier in their own names! A charitable Trust would probably be the ownership model used, it would own the property, not the individual members of Shore Thing.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #541 on: February 02, 2014, 05:58:06 pm »
More likely the Trust would form a wholly-owned limited company. That seems the safest way.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: February 11, 2014, 01:29:26 pm »
A shortened Colwyn Bay Pier is a very sensible idea. The original Pier was only half the length of the present one anyway.

Plans to save 'shortened' Colwyn Bay pier take shape
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/130897/plans-to-save-shortened-colwyn-bay-pier-take-shape.aspx

Offline BMD

« Reply #543 on: February 13, 2014, 03:56:57 pm »
David Jones MP: "HLF confirm that their file on proposed funding for #ColwynBayPier has now been closed, following council decision to withdraw application" (on Twitter)

And to think that councils are often criticised for being slow to act. They must have broken speed records to make sure the window of opportunity opened by the Heritage Lottery Fund was slammed shut forever.  &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #544 on: February 17, 2014, 05:02:19 pm »
Indeed. I still think the Pier saga has a few more twists and turns to come yet.

Offline BMD

« Reply #545 on: February 19, 2014, 04:46:45 pm »
Cormorants on the pier this morning. They were meeting to pass a vote of no confidence in the council.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #546 on: February 19, 2014, 07:47:23 pm »
Great picture BMD!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #547 on: March 11, 2014, 01:29:16 pm »
D-day for Colwyn Bay pier as cabinet votes to back demolition
11 Mar 2014 12:52

Councillors will vote today on whether to press ahead with the demolition of Colwyn’s Bay pier.

Knocking down the Victoria landmark would “remove an eyesore and dangerous structure from a public beach”, officers say.

Conwy Council’s Cabinet members are being asked to formally back scrapping the Grade II listed pier, after the full council decided to seek to de-list and demolish the historic but dilapidated building, saying that redevelopment was not a viable option.

However, there is an ongoing ownership battle between the local authority and former owner Steve Hunt, with a Cardiff county court hearing to resolve the issue set for April 14-16.

Members are being asked to agree to  demolish the pier, and approve its interim management to ensure public safety. They are also seeking to re-enforce the promenade’s link to the town centre at that point.

The recommendation  is that elements of the pier’s structure and heritage would be preserved and the public are clearly told the reasons for demolition.

But Gavin Davies, director of Shore Thing, a pressure group set up in support of the pier, said last night: “I can’t understand why Conwy Council want to demolish a pier they don’t actually own. The Land Registry states that Steve Hunt still owns it. The council are jumping ahead.”

Mr Davies said Shore Thing representatives last week met Welsh Secretary David Jones, the Clwyd West MP, and will meet Clwyd West Am Darren Millar soon to discuss the issues.

Mr Davies also said a Hastings Pier campaigner calculates it would cost £9m to restore and redevelop – not the £15m Conwy Council has mooted.

Mr Davies said: “The business plan we put to the Heritage Lottery Fund still stands. We are still working towards that outcome but not with Conwy Council anymore.

“Our main aim is to work towards a sustainable pier that will not cost the taxpayer any money to maintain.”

He said it will cost Conwy Council £53,000 in 2014-2015 simply for security and maintenance. He added: “It could have shops, a restaurant and a place for people to fish. That would generate income for the pier and its maintenance.”

Chef Bryn Williams is due to open a bistro at Porth Eirias although the timetable has slipped towards the summer.

And Mr Davies said: “The continued absence of a bistro operating at Porth Eirias underlines that people wanting somewhere to eat have nowhere to go.

“There were mobile burger vans there last year but there is only one waterfront kiosk left and that isn’t open.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/d-day-colwyn-bay-pier-colwyn-6798916

Offline BMD

« Reply #548 on: March 11, 2014, 11:56:40 pm »
The council has now agreed that there must be a "focal point" to replace the pier:
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-pier-must-focal-6802671

I fully expect to see a structure that inadvertently resembles a giant wheelie bin, constructed by 2018 (two years behind schedule) - at great public cost.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #549 on: March 12, 2014, 06:45:35 am »
Sounds about right!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #550 on: March 12, 2014, 10:03:16 am »
today,s daily post says council are spending £ 50,000 + a year on the  pier ,please tell me on WHAT,  someones telling porkies , fix the pier and get private concerens to build and open shops and different things on there .

Offline A.L.N. (a local nobody)

« Reply #551 on: April 15, 2014, 09:20:32 am »
Am I right in thinking the ownership court case is on this week?? ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #552 on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:01 am »
Am I right in thinking the ownership court case is on this week?? ???
Postponed until August 6...the saga carries on!

Offline BMD

« Reply #553 on: June 07, 2014, 04:57:26 pm »
North Wales Weekly News has a front-page story about the pier. There's apparently a new plan to re-submit a revised Heritage Lottery fund bid for 73% of "both the development and delivery phase".

I hope there's something in it, although at this point I suspect the minority who have always wanted the pier demolished have won the propaganda battle (with the inflated "£15m" estimate, false dichotomies on options, general lack of vision, philistinism, double standards regarding cost & "sustainability" of Porth Eirias, etc, etc).

(There doesn't seem to be an online version at present, so no link, sorry).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: June 07, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »
North Wales Weekly News has a front-page story about the pier. There's apparently a new plan to re-submit a revised Heritage Lottery fund bid for 73% of "both the development and delivery phase".

I hope there's something in it, although at this point I suspect the minority who have always wanted the pier demolished have won the propaganda battle (with the inflated "£15m" estimate, false dichotomies on options, general lack of vision, philistinism, double standards regarding cost & "sustainability" of Porth Eirias, etc, etc).

(There doesn't seem to be an online version at present, so no link, sorry).
Who is submitting the revised bid, BMD? I take it that it's Shore Thing, rather than CCBC?