Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 394690 times)

Offline BMD

Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #435 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:30 pm »
I think I recall that the high estimates (eg £12m) were originally for the option that included rebuilding the pavilion, etc, not just a basic renovation (which was the £5m option?). But the Daily Post article doesn't confirm whether this is the case (or whether there's been a recent hike in the estimates). In fact, the source for that Daily Post piece seems to be someone who is bitterly opposed to renovating the pier - the whole article is slanted that way.

For example, the second part of the following claim seems to contradict everything I've heard:

"The work is necessary in order to find out exactly what can be done with the structure – if it can be redeveloped or if it’s best for demolition."

I thought we were well past that point. It's been established by a structural survey that it CAN be redeveloped. And overwhelming public consensus (and lottery grant, etc) favours renovation, not demolition. So why is this person trying to rewrite history and put the idea of demolition back into people's minds via the press?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #436 on: September 06, 2013, 12:30:08 pm »
. So why is this person trying to rewrite history and put the idea of demolition back into people's minds via the press?

Probably a fan of the Skip!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #437 on: September 06, 2013, 05:20:26 pm »
I can't find a reference to those higher estimates I thought I'd seen.

The original 'Colwyn Bay Pier Task & Finish Group' minutes (Dec 2010) give these estimates:

Basic "board walk" pier: £3,528,416
Pier plus "basic pavilion": £5,456,536

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/62501/response/160207/attach/html/9/Minutes%207%20Oct%20and%202%20Dec%202010.pdf.html

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #438 on: September 06, 2013, 06:20:06 pm »
the second part of the following claim seems to contradict everything I've heard:

"The work is necessary in order to find out exactly what can be done with the structure – if it can be redeveloped or if it’s best for demolition."
Exactly, £900,000 to find out whether to keep it or demolish it - totally and utterly ridiculous. Someone is lining their pockets here, without a doubt. The question is...who?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #439 on: September 06, 2013, 06:27:52 pm »
Well, you can rule out Steve Hunt.

But seriously, these sums of money are utterly ridiculous.  It seems like a concerted effort, (possibly political) to ensure that the project is abandoned as being financially non-viable.
It can't possibly proceed with financial requirements like that.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #440 on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:14 am »
Colwyn Bay's Victorian Pier may be knocked down
8 Dec 2013 13:38
£15m would be needed to restore the historic structure, left derelict since 2008

About £15m is needed to restore the crumbling Victoria Pier, which dates back to 1900, to it’s former glory.

But now, for the first time, councillors are to discuss the option of whether to demolish it once and for all.

A report due to be discussed this week says demolishing the pier would cost Conwy County Council nearly £1m.

Another option among six put forward is to turn it into a boardwalk.

The authority is currently spending £53,000 a year maintaining the Grade 2 listed structure which has been derelict since 2008.

Conwy County Borough Council has been trying to raise millions to restore it, since taking over ownership last year.

The six options to be discussed by the Full Council on Thursday are:

- Seek de-listing and demolish entire pier

- Removal of both pavilions and end of pier and renovate a pier boardwalk

- Renovate boardwalk and redevelop main pavilion

- Redevelopment and refurbishment of entire pier

- Renovate boardwalk plus “concession units” in the entrance

- Do nothing

A Heritage Lottery Fund application for £4.37m is currently in the second stage but the council would still have to find £11m from other sources including close to £4m from EU funding and £4m from community grant funds for renovation.

In the latest report to councillors, concerns are raised about funding, interim management and the capacity of Colwyn Bay Shore Thing, a community enterprise, to run the pier if it was renovated.

David Jones, Secretary of State for Wales and MP for Clwyd West, has called the prospect of demolition “a great shame”.

He said: “The cost of the pier restoration was about £10m three or four years ago. The thing that grieves me is that the delay has pushed the cost up to where I think the only real option is for demolition.

“I’m pretty sure the council will resolve to have it demolished which is a great shame and a great pity. The cost to the tax payer of Conwy for renovation would be substantial.

“At the minute it is a blot on the landscape of the magnificent North Wales coast.”

He added: “Whatever happens to the pier I will be ensuring the murals by Eric Ravilious are saved. They need to be rescued.

“It would be a national shame if they were destroyed, Eric Ravilious is a world renowned artist and I believe these are the last murals discovered.”

Gary Willetts, who is assisting Steve Hunt, former owner of the pier who is  challenging Conwy council’s ownership in court saying it still belongs to him, thinks the decision is inevitable.

He claimed: “It’s obvious now reading this report that the council have misled the people of Conwy and Colwyn Bay in particular.

“Demolition has always been on the cards and now they are admitting it. They have also said in the report how they’ve lost faith with Shore Thing.

“The money just isn’t there and they want to demolish the pier.”

Darren Millar AM said if a financial future could not be found the community faced “the unhappy prospect of the pier coming down”.

He said: “It’s a carbuncle along the coast we need to sort out. I am finding it more and more difficult to see how a project can not only restore the pier but make it sustainable thereafter.”

No-one at Conwy council was available to comment.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bays-victoria-pier-knocked-6383670

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: December 09, 2013, 09:43:01 am »
A breakdown of the various options for the Pier and their costings can be seen here:
http://tinyurl.com/qb73fac

In my view, Option 3 (Removal of end of the pier structure, demolition of Pavilion 1 and refurbishment  of Pavilion 2 and pier structure - costed at £8.9m) might be a cheaper way of retaining the Pier.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #442 on: December 09, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »
Having had a look at all the figures, I wonder if it is indeed worth keeping the Pier.  In my opinion the money would be better invested in a land-based all weather attraction that could be used throughout the whole year.  The vagaries of the UK weather limit the amount of use one can achieve from refurbishing this rotting structure.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #443 on: December 09, 2013, 04:58:22 pm »
Having had a look at all the figures, I wonder if it is indeed worth keeping the Pier.  In my opinion the money would be better invested in a land-based all weather attraction that could be used throughout the whole year.  The vagaries of the UK weather limit the amount of use one can achieve from refurbishing this rotting structure.
 ZXZ

By that logic we should demolish Alton Towers, legoland and thousands of other attractions that are limited by weather in this country. I also think opening pretty much anything in Colwyn Bay during the winter would be a loss making bonanza, just walk down the high street on a Sunday and you'll see what a terrible ghost town it really is. (Least they have trains going there though unlike Llandudno!)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #444 on: December 09, 2013, 05:09:55 pm »
 ZXZ

By that logic we should demolish Alton Towers, legoland and thousands of other attractions that are limited by weather in this country. I also think opening pretty much anything in Colwyn Bay during the winter would be a loss making bonanza, just walk down the high street on a Sunday and you'll see what a terrible ghost town it really is. (Least they have trains going there though unlike Llandudno!)

'Twas only a thought!  Rhyl has done OK from the Sun Centre!   _))*

I take it you have some ideas, let's hear them!   L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Minime

« Reply #445 on: December 09, 2013, 07:31:43 pm »
I thought steve hunt won last round in court so it was all still ongoing?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #446 on: December 10, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »
I'm mystified by this article.

The last I heard, ownership was officially handed over to CCBC (rightly or wrongly) and they were looking forward with great excitement to working with Shore Thing and Pier Pressure Group, to finally get renovation under way.
Gaining 'clean title' to the pier was sen as the last hurdle.

Now, it is almost inevitably going to be demolished.

Where has all that motivation, that exuberance and that positivity gone?
I thought there were many hundreds, if not into the thousands of people trying to get in to packed meetings to save the pier?

It appears that the impetus has waned, fizzled out....?  Or was there never any real momentum, no vision or perhaps leadership to get anything done at all?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #447 on: December 11, 2013, 08:23:05 am »
 I suspect that with the building of the white elephant skip, the plan all along was to demolish the pier. They just needed to manipulate the figures to make it seem that the only sensible plan is demolition! I still believe that the money wasted on the skip should have been spent on the pier! All very wrong!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: December 11, 2013, 08:54:34 am »
You could well be right, ME. For a long time, the renovation of the Pier was costed at around £5m. In the last couple of months, that figure has ballooned to £16m.

I'm still hopeful that a cheaper compromise, involving keeping most of the structure, can be found.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #449 on: December 12, 2013, 10:59:00 am »
There's currently a Council meeting taking place to decide the future of the Pier. I shall let you know the outcome.