Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 386914 times)

Offline Edith Perry

Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #1245 on: November 02, 2021, 12:23:14 am »
Very happy to read today's news that Mr Williams has bought the site; I'm looking forward to seeing what his plans are!   {}{}

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1246 on: November 02, 2021, 09:36:59 am »
Social media RUMOUR.......... Adam Williams has bought the site pre auction ?
That would be great news; we could look forward to a rebuilding of the original Pavilion building in its full Victorian splendour.  $good$

I think we all know, in that instance, there would be zero chance of that happening.
I think the residents of Llandudno opposed the apartments scheme on the basis that they wished to see the original Pavilion rebuilt, but with modern attractions inside. Anything less would not be acceptable, I feel.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1247 on: November 02, 2021, 10:18:08 am »
What are the promises?

Long-standing repairs to the pier structure and re-opening the Happy Valley gates for a start.

I have often wondered, if keeping the gates closed, was a deliberate move, to stop people bypassing the amusements and other businesses ?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1248 on: November 02, 2021, 11:35:17 am »
and me as well as making it look as if there was always maintenance work ongoing.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1249 on: November 02, 2021, 12:05:29 pm »
Re-opening the Happy Valley gates is not a good business move. In his own words as spoken on TV, the amusements keep the pier afloat so why reduce the footfall going past?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1250 on: November 02, 2021, 02:31:10 pm »
because the wooden pier requires a safe fire exit?

Offline Dave

« Reply #1251 on: November 02, 2021, 03:28:54 pm »

Possibly but they have managed to stay open without one for long enough!

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1252 on: November 02, 2021, 10:45:19 pm »

Go down on the beach under the Happy Valley Gates and you will clearly see why that entrance was closed. If it was my Pier, just like Alan Williams, I would not have invested in the huge repair costs necessary to make the structure safe either, untill after the planning debarcal was sorted out.

As an aside to that, we should now urge our Councellors to take a long hard look at who's sitting on the Plamning Committee of CCBC, because with so many of them willing to knowingly act illegally, over the planning permission they authorised, it's time for a wholesale change
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1253 on: November 03, 2021, 08:30:42 am »

Go down on the beach under the Happy Valley Gates and you will clearly see why that entrance was closed. If it was my Pier, just like Alan Williams, I would not have invested in the huge repair costs necessary to make the structure safe either, untill after the planning debarcal was sorted out.

As an aside to that, we should now urge our Councellors to take a long hard look at who's sitting on the Plamning Committee of CCBC, because with so many of them willing to knowingly act illegally, over the planning permission they authorised, it's time for a wholesale change

He doesn’t like spending money.
So, will he now use the excuse of having to buy the Pavilion land for still not repairing the pier?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1254 on: November 03, 2021, 10:52:39 am »
This could perhaps be a template for Adam’s new Pavilion:

I was just reading the Pier Pavilion Development Appraisal Report (commisioned by CCBC in 2003) and it's striking how the preferred design back then was a slightly larger version of the original building (see illustration attached), rather than the contemporary structure that is apparently the preferred design now. This building was proposed to contain a range of leisure and dining facilities on 2 levels, together with car parking on one level but no apartments.

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #1255 on: November 03, 2021, 12:12:11 pm »
To be honest, I think the above drawing demonstrates how much architecture has changed in the past 20 years. In the 80s and 90s a lot of architecture reflected a more human and appropriate scale and style, as a reaction to the horrors of the 60s and 70s, and often reflected what normal people and communities preferred. A good example is the Victoria Centre, which replaced that awful concrete bunker and which most people still think looks nice and in-keeping with the Victorian street scene. However, a building like that would be almost banned and ridiculed now by architects and planning officials as pastiche and not reflecting modern trends. Look also at the difference between the Aberconwy Centre of 1980 or so and the arena that was pretty nastily bolted onto half its frontage around 2008/9 (? date).

That's also how we developed from the pavilion redesign of the early 2000s above to what we saw proposed in the early stages of the pavilion apartments scheme - third rate architects more conscious of their own 'legacy' than the wishes of local people, egged on by local planning officials who decry 'pastiche' architecture. Even the Design Commission for Wales disliked the apartments' final design as pretty ungainly. I appreciate that people want to make money and business is business, but why don't they just build beautiful places that people want to see, or that people want to live in, rather than building 'iconic' designs to show off how 'progressive' they are, that will only date badly within 5 years' time.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1256 on: November 03, 2021, 12:14:39 pm »
This could perhaps be a template for Adam’s new Pavilion:

I was just reading the Pier Pavilion Development Appraisal Report (commisioned by CCBC in 2003) and it's striking how the preferred design back then was a slightly larger version of the original building (see illustration attached), rather than the contemporary structure that is apparently the preferred design now. This building was proposed to contain a range of leisure and dining facilities on 2 levels, together with car parking on one level but no apartments.

A great design, and the Tudno Hotel proves, that you can have a new build, without spoiling the area.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #1257 on: November 03, 2021, 05:53:36 pm »

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #1258 on: November 30, 2021, 12:48:45 pm »
Has anyone seen that Williams has registered a modified planning application for the Pavilion site?

https://edm.conwy.gov.uk/Planning/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=15468735&PDF=true&content=obj.pdf

It's almost exactly as was planned before, with 'minor' changes in detailing and external finish. 54 apartments, no leisure as people might have wished or anything other than what Waldron was planning. I think some people who thought their dreams had come true and that Adam Williams was some kind of saviour may have been had...

I bet this will kick up a right fuss!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1259 on: November 30, 2021, 02:18:11 pm »
 ))*