Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 207249 times)

Yorkie

Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2010, 02:52:33 pm »
The people elect the Town Council, the Civic Council are all volunteers.

The Town Councill receives a certain amount of money (precept) from the Couty Council to take care of rather mundane things such as Alice, Llandudno in Bloom,  Xmas Lights, Xmas Parade, Grants and such matters.   Their web site at www.llandudno.gov.uk will tell you more.

The precept is, I believe around £300,000 to £400,000.   Monthly Accounts can be found in the Public Libraries together with the Minutes of all FULL Council Meetings.      

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2010, 05:37:22 pm »
T
The precept is, I believe around £300,000 to £400,000.   Monthly Accounts can be found in the Public Libraries together with the Minutes of all FULL Council Meetings.      

That's quite a substantial sum Yorkie. To save me going delving in the Library (I know I'm being lazy), do you know what the major items of expenditure are? ie you mention certain things like Alice and Llandudno in Bloom,  but how much goes on each? You mention "grants" but who or what get these grants?
I remember when we refurbished the bells at Holy Trinity in 2002 a sum of £1,000 was made to the Restoration Appeal from I think the Communities Grants Fund, and again in 2004/5 a sum of £2,000 for the Stained Glass Window Appeal, sums,  I might add we were very grateful for.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 05:44:51 pm by Bellringer »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2010, 05:40:41 pm »
All of that information should be available from the Town Council website...but it isn't. All Taxpayers should ask themselves why that should be?

Yorkie

« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2010, 05:41:23 pm »
Available from Town Clerk with a FoI request.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2010, 08:28:48 pm »
 ¢¢##  I think im starting too become obsessed with this subject,i will be lost in January unless we start our light up LLandudno at xmas campaign. Had a nice walk along the promenade Saturday then up Church Walks and i really wonder wether there is one councillor realizes how many people come to stay,even this time of year.Now we all know they don,t come to see the town council xmas lights,as they are not even up yet let alone switched on,and i know certain clls will say as they are already here there is no need to put any entertainment or xmas lights on for their benifit or the locals,but come on LLANDUDNO TOWN COUNCIL show all the tourists,locals,hoteliers,buisnesses who  who show faith in the town that next year you will join the LIGHT UP LLANDUDNO AT CHRISTMAS CAMPAIGN 2011 ZXZ

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2010, 08:44:47 pm »
I don't think you are starting to become obsesses Wrex,.... it became a full-blown obsession for you some time ago!  L0L L0L

BUT...(and its a BIG BUT) ... it is a worthy and noble crusade that you are leading.
The official lights are rubbish, and if it wasn't for The Victoria Centre, and other private businesses, Mostyn St would look abysmal.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2010, 08:47:37 pm »
Bad news, Wrex, the blue lights along the Madoc Street trees have already been removed!  :(

I remember when the two trees in front of the Library used to have strings of coloured lights on them - whatever happened to that?  ???

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2010, 09:52:41 pm »
I was talking with my favourite Conservative ward Councillor in Upper Mostyn Street last week about the Christmas lights and he agreed they do need to be improved but then he showed me the damage that had been done to lights around the tree we were standing next to. Some mindless yob had climbed up and cut the wires. Trouble is you can’t just shinny up there and join the wires together, not these days. It has to be done by a qualified electrician, in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act and guess what, that costs money which the Council hasn’t got. Bottom line if you want Christmas lights, walk up and down Mostyn Street carrying a very big stick (especially at night when the local hostelries are chucking out)
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2010, 10:04:20 pm »
I wonder if that was the tree (by the Gimberts shop?) that the Town Council spent £2000 installing an electric supply to last year? That's not for any lights, you understand, just for an electric supply. They get ripped off, left, right and centre....

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2010, 11:48:01 pm »
I can't really accept that from the Councillor BlongB,   you see there are infinitely more mindless yobs in Blackpool than there are in Llandudno, but the difference is that the council CHOOSE to invest in the illuminations there.
I'm not comparing Xmas lights with Autumn illuminations ... but just because some damage is done its not a reason to give up is it?

It sends the wrong message ... there are always reasons NOT to do something.

When the 7/7 bomb went off on the London Underground, London Transport didn't close down ... it bounced back!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2010, 07:10:35 am »
We spent the weekend strolling up and down Regent and Oxford Streets and gazing at their lights.  Actually, not as wonderful as I'd expected, and the best were those provided by the shops themselves.

Being a lights lover, and having roamed the globe in search of the best lit places, I think I've settled on the Disney parks as having cornered the market. Disneyland Paris, in particular, has spent vast amounts of money preserving the sort of twinkling ambience that would have Wrex in several kinds of ecstasy.  But despite their having almost bottomless pockets, the problems with vandalism blight their efforts, also.

In the early days of the Paris park, there was (and still is) a walk-through attraction called the Alice's curious labryinth , which features eight-foot-high hedges, framing a delightful maze with subtle lighting for the evenings.  The most stunning feature was the inclusion of myriad twinkling lights in the bushes themselves, which imbued the maze with a delightful and mysterious aura when you walked it in the dark.  Within twelve months, so severe had the damage been from the Parisian natives' interference, that the Park management not only gave up attempting to replace the lights in the bushes but actually closed the attraction in the evenings, thus losing one of the most stunningly envisaged designs in the Park.  

There are those it seems, whose main delight in life is to destroy that which others find beautiful.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2010, 04:34:38 pm »
 ::)  Just look at the pathetic tree they put up on bog island,this is the main tree for town in an area that has NO lights and still they cannot put a bigger tree there and make a BIG feature as it is the start of Mostyn st.  ¢¢##  Blongb i would not listen to the feable claptrap that comes out of the chairman of the Llandudno illumination committees mouth because he has been in charge of the xmas lights for years and they never meet. ZXZ

Yorkie

« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2010, 04:44:00 pm »
The Town Council put more effort into entertaining the folks from Wormhout and themselves with Town Twinning than they ever have done on Decorative Lighting.      >>>

In the Council's web site there is scant reference, if any, to Christmas Lighting.     )*)&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2010, 09:13:34 pm »
We spent the weekend strolling up and down Regent and Oxford Streets and gazing at their lights.  Actually, not as wonderful as I'd expected, and the best were those provided by the shops themselves.

Being a lights lover, and having roamed the globe in search of the best lit places, I think I've settled on the Disney parks as having cornered the market. Disneyland Paris, in particular, has spent vast amounts of money preserving the sort of twinkling ambience that would have Wrex in several kinds of ecstasy.  But despite their having almost bottomless pockets, the problems with vandalism blight their efforts, also.

In the early days of the Paris park, there was (and still is) a walk-through attraction called the Alice's curious labryinth , which features eight-foot-high hedges, framing a delightful maze with subtle lighting for the evenings.  The most stunning feature was the inclusion of myriad twinkling lights in the bushes themselves, which imbued the maze with a delightful and mysterious aura when you walked it in the dark.  Within twelve months, so severe had the damage been from the Parisian natives' interference, that the Park management not only gave up attempting to replace the lights in the bushes but actually closed the attraction in the evenings, thus losing one of the most stunningly envisaged designs in the Park.  

There are those it seems, whose main delight in life is to destroy that which others find beautiful.
So, the attraction was being vandalised by locals breaking into the park when it was closed?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2010, 09:42:25 pm »
    8)  Me needs to break into the town hall,pinch all their bulbs and light up Mostyn st.  WWW