Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 202000 times)

Yorkie

Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2010, 09:08:26 pm »
Okay.  Enough of their finer points.  What about the negative ones?

The Forum doesn't have sufficient space to accommodate such a tirade as myself and some others could fill it with.     As I have said before, and will no doubt say again, visit a Council Meeting or two and see what rubbish is discussed.  Also write in and get Councillors' attendance figures, they are certainly interesting (shocking!) reading.   $uk

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2010, 09:10:44 pm »
One good thing about the impending spending cuts... Perhaps some of these pointless and petty council officials will be axed.
That applies to Town Councils and County too ...
They might have to see what the real world is like then, applying for minimum wage jobs, stacking shelves in Asda (if they are lucky, or even qualified!!)

It wouldn't help with the Xmas lights,  but perhaps things like the senseless complaint about the Fountains advertisement would never happen.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2010, 09:33:58 pm »
I see that Gwynedd Council are making all their car parks free from 13 - 28 December - I wonder if Conwy will follow their lead?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2010, 09:32:12 pm »
 ;) As we get older we all realise how time flies,i cannot believe its twelve months since i moaned about the lack of xmas lights in the town and of course i did nothing about it and now here i am doing the same as the town council NOTHING.This time i will write to every town councillor and express my disgust at this major town looking dismal at xmas,i will also write to Mostyn estates and the hospitaliy association and find out why there is absolutly nobody in this town who seems the slightest bit concerned that every other town in North Wales seems to make an effort except US.It will be interesting to see the replies if i get any.Of course i will wait to see what is put up this year.whenever that is. :weeping:

Yorkie

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2010, 11:09:47 am »
I see that Gwynedd Council are making all their car parks free from 13 - 28 December - I wonder if Conwy will follow their lead?

It is fine doing what they have done, but on the reverse side of the coin it means that people will stay longer, you will not get the turn over of parking spaces as normal, and many people will have trouble getting a parking space.

Whilst Pay and Display is not very popular it does create a better and fairer use of the parking spaces available.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2010, 12:56:49 pm »
I might be a lone voice here, but I don't really want to see xmas lights until December, usually by the end of November I'm sick of hearing about xmas, I love it all in December but these days it goes on so long the magics gone!

Bar Humbug L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:33 pm »
I might be a lone voice here, but I don't really want to see xmas lights until December, usually by the end of November I'm sick of hearing about xmas, I love it all in December but these days it goes on so long the magics gone!

I've just finished putting up our 60th lighting set in the house.  Next week, I'll start on the outside sets.

Personally, I like xmas lighting from the moment the clocks go back. It's something which lifts the mood in the long, dark winter days.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2010, 04:03:01 pm »

Bar Humbug L0L
No your not alone, Now don't get me wrong I love all the decs and holly but not in the first week of november. Its not xmas for weeks yet.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Yorkie

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2010, 04:06:10 pm »
Blackpool have had their Illuminations up since beginning of September.  It is a Tourist Attraction and could be the same for us.  They would pay for themselves in no time.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2010, 05:15:49 pm »
I'm all in favour of 'tourist ' lights up, for instance an Alice in Wonderland theme, I just think Christmas should be in December and then I put all my lights, trees etc up around the 1st of December and then on Twelth night I hate taking them down!  L0L

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2010, 05:31:21 pm »

I've just finished putting up our 60th lighting set in the house.  Next week, I'll start on the outside sets.

Personally, I like xmas lighting from the moment the clocks go back. It's something which lifts the mood in the long, dark winter days.
An exclusive preview of Ian's house:

_))*

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »
 8)  Yes xmas belongs in December but not when it comes to xmas shopping and trying to compete with all other towns and cities in the North West,LLandudno has to be the last shopping town to put on its lights and their the worst,we all know xmas is a religious festival but with so many visitors to this town wether turkey and tinsel or xmas shopping this town council is letting all the buisnesses who have faith in the town down and should improve the xmas lights for all. :(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2010, 06:37:06 pm »
I think it's important to separate the Christian festival from the season;  notionally, and for convenience when the early Roman missionaries hijacked the Pagan winter festivals, Christmas is on the 25th December,  but the reality is that displaying lights and decorations throughout the darker months precedes the Christian concepts by many centuries and even today varies widely throughout the Western World in duration.  Why not light up our houses, streets and towns throughout the winter months?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2010, 06:40:49 pm »

An exclusive preview of Ian's house:

_))*

So thats  why we have the wind farm!  L0L

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2010, 06:41:52 pm »
..and that's only the dog's kennel...