Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 641315 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »
...and the same view today:

[smg id=1047]

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2010, 12:55:34 am »
Just look at that picture,
I've always thought it looked rubbish and incongruous on such a beautiful site.
How could the planning dept allow this?    A private person would have been stopped before laying a single brick
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2010, 12:05:53 pm »
Sad to hear of the death of Mrs Pamela Davies formerly of Ty Mawr Nurseries, Gyffin.

Funeral details - see "Obits"

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2010, 12:26:47 pm »
National Tree Week Event at Bodlondeb -  Saturday 27 November 2010 - 10.30am  to 2.30pm. Free entry

For further details see "What's On".

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2010, 07:24:58 pm »
The work has finished on the bridge and so the lights have gone. Back to normal until the next time.....!!

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2010, 09:19:30 pm »
The work has finished on the bridge and so the lights have gone. Back to normal until the next time.....!!
We have had 3 faults in the sewage pipe across the bridge since August. Welsh Water, after much persuading, agreed to replace the whole length of pipe. This is why the works were extended.
CCBC Street Engineer has requested that they replace the patchwork tarmac with a new surface, which will take place early next year. Hopefully these works will prevent more faults.

Welsh Water are also working in the Car Park in Deganwy, some serious works ongoing following a leak spotted earlier in the week.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2010, 09:35:11 pm »
Thanks for that information Jason and good luck with your stated future endeavours.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2010, 09:56:33 pm »
In 1968 Fester you only had to look at Mostyn Street opposite M and S to see what the Planners would allow. Fortunately Mothercare and Boots were pulled down to make way for the Victoria Centre which at least is trying to blend in. Garth Court on Llewelyn Ave is another example of a bad planning decision during that era. It used to be the site of the Grand Hotels car park. With it gone they just clog up North Parade and Happy Valley Road.
To get back on thread, the unforgivable thing about the Conwy fire was the loss of all Llandudno's public records, moved there by the County Council for "SAFE KEEPING", which up to that time must have been the most full and comprehensive of any town in Wales. “Never put all your eggs in one basket.” ))*
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:00:00 pm by Blongb »
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »
How ironic is that?

But to go OFF thread again just for the moment, I agree that the building of Garth Court was an utter disgrace.
In fact, it actually belongs in the topic EYESORES,  such is the blight on the towns landscape.

You can't tell me that money didn't change hands in brown envelopes to ge that through the planning stages.   $hands$ $hands$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2010, 11:26:29 pm »
More recently look at the flats they built as you come through the arch into berry street. Unbelievable, they really are horrid aren't they  :( another brown envelope me thinks Fester
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2010, 08:22:04 am »
You have to remember, that in the case of Garth Court and the Mostyn Street shops, that Planning Laws were nowhere near as tight as they are now. There was no Conservation Area, for example, and very few buildings in Llandudno were Listed until 1976, hence you could knock down anything you wanted and stick some square concrete building up instead.

In addition, in those days, anything deemed 'modern' was always welcomed, and the Victorian buildings were thought of as being past it and fit only for demolition. No brown envelopes were needed, believe me.

This site lists all the Listed Buildings in Llandudno:
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wales/conwy/llandudno

Colwyn Bay:
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wales/conwy/colwyn+bay

Conwy:
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wales/conwy/conwy

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2010, 08:24:29 am »
More recently look at the flats they built as you come through the arch into berry street. Unbelievable, they really are horrid aren't they  :( another brown envelope me thinks Fester
They are a disappointment when looking from Berry Street but the backs of them match other buildings quite well if you look from the end of the Town Wall by the Quay. Why they couldn't have built the fronts in the same style as the other houses on Berry Street, I don't know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2010, 08:27:25 am »
Yes - thanks for keeping us in the loop, Jason.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2010, 09:33:54 pm »

This site lists all the Listed Buildings in Llandudno:
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wales/conwy/llandudno

Thank-you for the link Dave. I have just spent a couple of very interesting hours on the Listed buildings site updating the information on my place. Perhaps we’ll get more customers next year now I've relocated their Map Marker from the disused Loo's on Happy Valley Road to our place. )*)&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »
keeping us in the loop

I've an idea what you mean Ian but for those of us who have a jargon deficiency, perhaps you will be kind enough to explain.

Stan