The Local > Genealogy & Research

Jones family of Llandudno

(1/2) > >>

mersey_dub:
I’m hoping to be able to pick a few brains on here. I’ve been trying for some time to research my wife’s Jones family who we believe were rooted in the Llandudno area. Although she has several living Aunts and Uncles, they are all a bit vague with their recollections and have not given me much to go on. I have established though that her grandfather was Edward Jones, born in either Conway or Llandudno in 1895, died in Liverpool in 1954. He was the eldest of at least 7 children, the others being Edith 1897; Emily 1898; John Herbert 1901; Mary 1903, Sarah 1906 and Anne 1910. On Edward’s marriage certificate to Ivy Roberts in March 1923 it is stated his father is John Jones, and from that I have arrived at the family living in Bron (y) Berllan cottage, Llandudno, in the 1911 census. Edward’s mother is Mary, born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire in 1870, and the rest of the family are all born in Llandudno.
Stepping back 10 years and on the 1901 census the family are at 3 Pen Y Ffrith (cottages?), and head of the family John is the foreman of the sewage works. His place of birth is now given as Welshpool, just to confuse matters. The family believe eventually that he must have had a career change and left to go to sea !!
Most of Edward and Ivy’s offspring are still alive, but none appear to know what became of a single one of Edward’s siblings. They also know nothing of Mary or of her Derbyshire roots, and I have no definite surname for her yet. All this before I even mention any of the ‘tales’ circulating round in the family
I hope someone can shed some light on my mystery, and I shall await for a reply with much anticipation.

Hugo:
I'm sorry but I don't know anything about that side of the family so can't really help you.   Micox did a great family history on here somewhere and his relations go back to the Jones family who  locally had the knickname " Yr Ogof" on account that they once lived in a cave on the Orme. That was up to C1877 when they moved to a cottage.
Micox said that they have a Welshpool connection. 
A family member was Ted "Yr Ogof" Jones a well known and respected boatman who died on the Promenade in 1965. He had a son Edward who was born about 1946 and someone on the forum mentioned that Eddie joined the Royal Navy as a teenager but didn't know where he was now.
Whether they are family members or not I don't know, sorry that I can't be more positive.

mersey_dub:
Thanks Hugo. Prior to posting on here I had indeed already sent a detailed enquiry to Micox. There is a family rumour of a link to the Yr Ogof name, and that a cottage up on the Orme had been in the family for many years. I think I'll look at the Welshpool connection a bit closer, and hope one day that a descendant of one of Edward's siblings may wander by this fantastic forum and come forward with new information

tonyf:
Hi mersey-dub, just come across your posting on the 'Jones' family and it's possible I may be able to help a little. I joined the Royal Navy with Eddie Jones early 1964 and have recently had a reunion with him and his wife http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/Smileys/SoLoSMiLeYS1/Drink.gif Following his time in the Navy Eddie moved to Worcester and served as a police officer until his retirement where he still lives. Eddie is definitely the son of Ted Jones the said Ted Jones who tragically died on the promenade and I believe the family do have connections with Welshpool. I introduced him to this site some time ago and as far as I'm aware he is a member. I will contact him for you and hopefully he'll get back to you.   

ed jones:
Mersey du. I wish I could help you here, there are a lot of similarities but my dad Edward Goodey JONES ( Ted Yr Ogof) was born in Llandudno in 1912 and he died on the prom in Llandudno in 1965. My Mother Lillian JONES nee BARLOW died in 1952. My brother John died in 1995 and I have a sister, Nellie who lives on the Great Orme and I have a half brother Ken who lives in Bicester. By the time I became interested in my family history( I joined the Navy in 1964 and have lived away ever since) there was not many people to ask about it. I do know that my dad had eight brothers and sisters, I don't know all of their names, those I do know are Jack Kitchener JONES, he was killed at Dunkirk (name on Llandudno Cenotaph) Dan, Alan,Gwen, Primrose (emigrated to America) So it doesn't look like the same family. The next time I visit home (still call it home even after nearly 40 years!) Me and Tony F are meeting up in Llandudno in the not too distant future, I shall have a good long sit down with my big Sister and maybe I'll have some better information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version