Author Topic: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB  (Read 55327 times)

Online DVT

• Management board member
Re: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2011, 09:51:56 am »
I think you'll find that there is a lot of motorsport available locally at a far lower cost to watch.  The recent Cambrian was free - true you had to pay to park and there was a cost for the programme.  The problem is that 90% of the people spectating on the Orme probably never go to any other motor sport events - there are clubs all over the country organising affordable motorsport.

The £20 charge to spectate on the Orme is something that I, nor any of the local clubs, have any control over.  The event is run as a big business, in the same way as the FA Cup, Wimbledon, the major darts and snooker tournaments, and suchlike.  The world class events are a business, the local events (whether it be a club rally, pub darts or snooker league) are there for ther enjoyment and benefit of the club members.  How does £20 for a couple of hours motorsport entertainment compare to the cost of going to Old Trafford for 90 minutes?

Personally I find darts (and golf) extremely boring ... but I acknowledge that many people play these activities and enjoy them.  Similarly, there are many people who enjoy motorsport, whether as a competitor, organiser, marshal or spectator.

As for TV coverage (lack of) then that is something we motorsport people keep asking.  The TV companies are prepared to spend thousands (millions?) to cover a football match, but TV coverage of motorsport is often left to smaller film companies and the sport has to pay, not the other way round.  I'm sure that is true of some other sports as well.  Things like the interweb, facebook and youtube probably don't help as people want immediate information - what they do with it is a puzzle!

I had nothing to do with the organisation of the WRGB other than I worked on it as a volunteer Safety Radio Operator on the Orme.  My organising activities centre around the local club, the local events and those of the regional associations.

Incidentally, DVT are my real initials (Deep Vein Thrombosis wasn't heard of back in 1949!)

Enjoy your darts - I'll make sure I don't get in the way of your arrows!!!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2011, 11:22:13 am »
Hey DVT, .. the safest place to stand if you want to avoid being hit by my darts is right in front of the board!

...and as for my wayward golf shots....  :golf: :golf:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2011, 12:28:59 pm »
Ken Block has also posted some photos of the Great Orme on his Facebook page. Given that he has over 2 million followers on FB, that has to be good news:

"Check out these incredible shots from a very unique stage of Rally GB, called Great Orme (SS1 and SS2). Yes, these were taken in Wales."

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150374460640765.356412.139454585764&type=1

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2011, 04:05:03 pm »
DVT, thanks for passing on to the organisers the comments made on the Forum.  There were bound to be some "teething troubles" when the event had not been held here for 30 years.  The stewards and marshalls whom I met were all very pleasant and helpful, so please would you also pass on thanks to them. 

As I've said, I'm not a rally fan and attended as it was on the doorstep but I certainly enjoyed the rally and would watch it again.  I don't know how the view from the hairpins compared with the other viewing areas but I don't think anyone at the hairpins minded that we didn't have more company, as it was easy to move around and get longer views from higher up or closer views from lower down. 

Before the rally Nemesis was concerned about the goats straying on to the road.  It's interesting that in all the photos and videos there were spectators teetering where we'd normally expect to see goats but there wasn't a single goat in sight.  I spotted one group of nannies and billies above Pen-trwyn but as it's the rutting season they may have have had other things on their minds ... 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2011, 07:31:53 pm »
...from a very unique stage

:-}}}
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2011, 08:24:48 pm »
I agree with.......FESTER $good$

My fellow darter (but that's not why &shake& despite Fester and me being the only ones scalping the premier league big boys again Tuesday!)

I thought his comment about the chavs on Mostyn Champneys in their souped up death machneswas excellent and the point of which was inexplicably missed on here!

Of course young people are going to copy what their heroes do! And if their heroes are being lauded (to the tune of £20 a spectator and as someone said "tv coverage on 80 channels????) to race around the Orme in their ghastly painted monster machines. Then why wouldn't they copy them and think this is a good thing to do?

Richard Brunstrom once described dangerous driving as as bad as sticking a knife in someone, and he wasn't far wrong.
As anyone who has lost friends or relatives in road accidents caused by dangerous driving will no doubt testify.

Completely irresponsible sport, waste of time, waste of fuel, waste of money, and as the death of Dan Whealdon recently (and countless others in the past) proved.... Motorsport is a waste of lives.

Well said Fester .

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2011, 08:47:35 pm »
So the current car you drive...........all its safety features were developed and tested by who and on what type of car?

Would you like to drive a 1960s car with 4 drum brakes at 30mph or a new car with 4 disc brakes and ABS at 30mph and its crumple zones/airbags etc?

Motorsport has helped roadsafety develop...............the only thing we cannot improve is the nut holding the streering wheel...... that is usually beyond help!!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2011, 08:51:39 pm »
So the current car you drive...........all its safety features were developed and tested by who and on what type of car?

Would you like to drive a 1960s car with 4 drum brakes at 30mph or a new car with 4 disc brakes and ABS at 30mph and its crumple zones/airbags etc?

Motorsport has helped roadsafety develop...............the only thing we cannot improve is the nut holding the streering wheel...... that is usually beyond help!!

That's like saying guns have helped body armour develop  $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2011, 10:17:59 pm »
I agree with.......FESTER $good$

Richard Brunstrom once described dangerous driving as as bad as sticking a knife in someone, and he wasn't far wrong.
As anyone who has lost friends or relatives in road accidents caused by dangerous driving will no doubt testify.

Completely irresponsible sport, waste of time, waste of fuel, waste of money, and as the death of Dan Whealdon recently (and countless others in the past) proved.... Motorsport is a waste of lives.

Richard Brunstrom , one of the most misguided people in recent times, thank goodness he's gone!

As for your comments on motorsport, words fail me, I doubt we would ever agree on any subject somehow :-X
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2011, 08:47:37 am »
Is not all sport  - to quote born2run - irresponsible , waste of time, waste of fuel if applicable), waste of money, and a waste of lives?

People die following all sports, as do animals, and they all cost time, and money to stage - look at the enormous cost to society of the Olympics which every time introduces "new" sports.  This time it is womens' boxing!  Total waste of money and a major security risk in this day and age.   Glad that I won't be down the Smoke during the debacle!     >>>   Discuss!

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2011, 09:09:19 am »
you could apply that argument to doing anything at all, being born is risky, should we all stay indoors and do nothing (that's very risky healthwise!) I'd much rather have a world with thrills, excitement and danger anytime  D)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2011, 12:57:36 pm »
thrills, excitement and danger
That's what the Forum is for!  :laugh:  $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2011, 03:13:27 pm »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »
you could apply that argument to doing anything at all, being born is risky, should we all stay indoors and do nothing (that's very risky healthwise!) I'd much rather have a world with thrills, excitement and danger anytime  D)

I didn't say ban all sport I just said it was a waste of money!   I enjoy my sports from my Car Club to wrestling and fencing to table tennis.    :golf:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero