Author Topic: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB  (Read 55356 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:59 pm »
   In reply to Bri,  no, I am not certain Craigydonian is a male.  I have no idea of his/her/etc sex.   I just typed the post and for some unknown subconscious reason my mind thought "Craigydonian" was a male type of title. Goodness only knows why. Mike

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 09:05:49 pm »
I see Mostyn Street is closed on the Thursday (24hrs) Wales Rally GB - Opening Ceremony.

http://www.snogonline.co.uk/events/wales-rally-gb-opening-ceremony-mostyn-street-and-opening-stages-great-orme

It's the norm for under 16 old's to go free at racing circuits.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2011, 08:04:29 am »
It is important to note the £1 tickets are only available at that price when purchased in advance and all children must be accompanied at the event by an adult.

Any locals hoping to purchase kids’ tickets on the day of the rally to avoid paying the £11.90 advance postage/booking/processing fees will be in for quite a shock when they suddenly find the £1 ticket has increased to £20 per child.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:17 pm »
TENS of thousands of motor rally fans will pour into the region next week when World Rally Championship Round Wales Rally GB starts in the county.

And for non-rally fans Llandudno and Conwy will host two spectacular events linked to the rally which are likely to be shown on TV worldwide.

The start of the event is in Llandudno’s Mostyn Street at 2.30pm next Thursday and there will be free entertainment including Victorian-themed traders and entertainers, an old time music hall show, juggling unicyclist, a restored Llandudno and Colwyn Bay tram car, a vintage lorry display, and a steam traction engine.

The first two competitive stages of the event will go around the Marine Drive, and spectators will be treated to tricks from the world-renowned 3SIXTY Bicycle Stunt Team and a thrilling display of driving skill from historic rally group Slowly Sideways, before the first cars begin to arrive on the stage from 2.38pm.

And the first day of Wales Rally GB will end with the official opening ceremony and free, family-friendly, medieval-themed entertainment at Conwy Quay and in Conwy town centre. Shops will remain open until 8pm, with the town centre playing host to traditional fairground rides, street entertainers, hot chestnut stands, a coconut shy, minstrels, knights and maidens.

Entertainment on the Quay will start at 4pm, and will include jesters, balloon modellers, stilt-walkers, circus workshops, magicians, birds of prey and an authentic hog roast.

Fireworks over Conwy Castle will herald the arrival of the first cars shortly before 6pm, with the day’s winners being welcomed by Cllr Brenda Taylor, chairman of Conwy Council and Cllr Ann Roberts, mayor of Conwy, as well as TV star Jason Done, star of BBC drama series Waterloo Road.

Conwy Council cabinet member Graham Rees said councillors and officers had worked closely with the rally organisers to organise the event.

He said: “We are extremely pleased Llandudno and Conwy will play a vital part in the 2011 World Rally Championship. The event will bring a host of economic benefits. We are expecting visitor numbers to be very high. The teams, their supporters and the spectators will stay in the area and spend money with local businesses. The county will be showcased around the world as the World Rally Championship is broadcast to over 80 viewing territories, with the Wales stage of the tour expected to attract 62 million viewers worldwide. The event also gives local residents the opportunity to see top class motorsport at close quarters.”

And Llandudno Hospitality Association chairman David Williams said: “These days people need a reason to come away for a few days, and I’m sure that a result of the rally many hotels and guest houses will be displaying no vacancy signs.”

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/11/03/spectacular-events-will-mark-the-start-in-llandudno-and-conwy-of-wales-rally-gb-55243-29708015/

Offline dwsi

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »
Wales Rally GB : Great Orme http://bit.ly/sIpKds

The Great Orme stage comprises 3.3 miles of tight twisting, demanding tarmac road that follows the contours of the headland mountain which is set in the Irish Sea. The Orme is a very famous stage and was historically used on the Lombard RAC Rally 30 years ago. It has many dangers, other than the normal contours, including the 3" high kerbs located on the seaward side, after which there is a small wall adjacent to a vertical drop to the sea.

Access to the Great Orme is very limited, due to the obvious dangers of the stage being located on the edge of a cliff face. No pedestrian access is allowed through the start or finish - the only access is by ticket only which will grant access to the road via the top of the Orme.

Providing a full day of entertainment, there will be catering, commentary, merchandise and a big screen available to spectators on the Great Orme. Entertainment in advance of the WRC stage will include:
A thrilling display of driving skill from historic rally group Slowly Sideways on the Rally route itself at approximately midday and 12:30
The 3SIXTY Bicycle Stunt Team will perform 4 x 30 minute displays between approximately 10:00 and 13:00 on top of the Great Orme. 3SIXTY displays have enthralled audiences around the world for over a decade and feature amazing riding skills. All riders have won national titles or completed official world record stunts ensuring that every show has an unbeatable level of skill on display.

From all directions: From the A55, leave at exit 19 (A546 signposted Llandudno / Deganway) and follow signs to the Great Orme spectator Park and Ride car park.
Once on the Orme, spectators will have access to two viewing sites:
Viewing Point 1
A fairly easy walk taking about 10-15 mins from the car park.
This location offers good long viewing with limited close viewing options and limited facilities for spectators with disabilities. Spectators will not be allowed to climb areas of the Orme due to dangers involved.
Viewing Point 2
Mainly a flat walk taking about 20 mins from the car park.
From this location spectators will have the opportunity to view the cars at close quarters and see some spectacular driving as crews reach the highest point of the stage, coming into view from round a fast left into a fast right. This sequence is very fast and the cars will then power away along a very quick stretch of road which has ample viewing points. Catering and other facilities (big screen, commentary and merchandise) will be available at this location.

Parking
There are two different parking options for spectators visiting the Great Orme Special Stage:
Spectators are strongly advised to make use of the Park and Ride service provided by the event organisers, car park B. The location of the Park and Ride car park is in Bodafon Fields (entrance is off Nant Y Gamar Road, LL30 3BB). Spectators should park in the car park (open from 08:00) and will then be required to pay a £2 PER PERSON charge for a return trip to the Great Orme on the coach. Coaches seat approximately 80 people and will leave at regular intervals between 09:00 and 12:15. The coach will take spectators directly to the viewing areas on the Great Orme Stage (there will be two drop off locations) before returning to the Park and Ride car park in a circular trip. The journey to the viewing areas is expected to take 25 minutes. The last bus will leave the Park and Ride car park at 12:15 before the stage shuts down for the competitive action to get underway from 14:38. After the Special Stage has finished, buses will depart from the same two pick up locations at regular intervals from approximately 16:30, returning spectators to the Park and Ride car park. The last bus will leave the pick-up locations at 19:00. Thereafter, spectators will be obliged to make their own way down from the Great Orme. Check walesrallygb.com for updates to this information.
Spectators will be able to park in a non-Rally organised car park on the Great Orme itself from 08:00. Spectators using this car park will be obliged to pay £5 PER CAR and will need to show their tickets before accessing the roads leading to this car park. Spectators not in possession of a valid ticket will be obliged to purchase a Great Orme Special Stage ticket (£20 per adult / £5 per child aged 9-15, children aged 8 or under go free).
Public car parks are available in Llandudno Town Centre for those wanting to watch the Ceremonial Start, which will take place from 14:30. All spectators for the Great Orme Stage should use the official Park and Ride car park or the private car park situated on the Great Orme.

General advice
As the weather at the time of the event can be wet and extremely cold and the Great Orme Stage will be very exposed with little shelter, please make sure you dress accordingly with a water and wind proof jacket and sturdy footwear. As some of you may be departing in the dark, please bring a torch with you.
Disabled
There will be limited disabled parking at both car parks but access to the Great Orme Stage is not recommended for less-abled spectators who may be in wheelchairs.
Hospitality options available.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2011, 02:28:20 pm »
With the Lombard Rally due any day now I wonder how many times the walls of Marine Drive will get hit and/or damaged during the day!

My guess is about 7   -  what do you think?    ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:05 pm »
Dave R and I were discussing that very possibility whilst quaffing a pint in the newly opened Parade this evening.

I think seven is a pretty accurate guess Yorkie.

^*^0 ^*^0
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 11:12:12 pm »
With the Lombard Rally due any day now I wonder how many times the walls of Marine Drive will get hit and/or damaged during the day!

My guess is about 7   -  what do you think?    ££$

Not at all, there has not been a Lombard Rally for many years!  :D  As for Rally GB I would guess just once!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2011, 08:18:23 am »
Whatever the name of the Rally is that is closing the Great Orme off to the locals this week, Lombard, Uk, British, Welsh - what's in a name?    >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2011, 08:48:47 am »
The old Lombard RAC Rally was a great event, going over large parts of the UK, sadly in recent years it has become a shadow of it's former self  :(   

30 yers ago I was on the Orme watching the rally and I do not remember paying to see it  $angry$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2011, 05:27:33 pm »
This guy, Ken Block, will be competing in Llandudno on Thursday:

Ken Block Gymkhana Practice

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2011, 06:01:59 pm »
some great driving there!

Offline Dave

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2011, 06:16:19 pm »
As a point of interest , according to the notices posted in the local papers, there are only 4 footpaths and one bridleway closed.
Access from the bottom to the top (and vice versa!) covers 4 foot paths that join directly on to Marine Drive, the bridleway runs the whole length of the Orme from the Ski slope. However, the footpaths from the  town side, Invalid Walk etc, are not covered by the closures so there is unrestricted access to certain areas of the Orme. Where you can wander to once up there I'm not sure .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2011, 08:04:29 pm »
As a point of interest , according to the notices posted in the local papers, there are only 4 footpaths and one bridleway closed.
Access from the bottom to the top (and vice versa!) covers 4 foot paths that join directly on to Marine Drive, the bridleway runs the whole length of the Orme from the Ski slope. However, the footpaths from the  town side, Invalid Walk etc, are not covered by the closures so there is unrestricted access to certain areas of the Orme. Where you can wander to once up there I'm not sure .
Interesting....  8)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2011, 10:52:13 pm »
This guy, Ken Block, will be competing in Llandudno on Thursday:

Ken Block Gymkhana Practice

That took me back. I had two Subaru Imprezas in the past. The first one was the best car I ever had. Not a thing ever went wrong with it. I didn't drive it like Ken though, I promise!