Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 628871 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #825 on: November 30, 2014, 09:16:25 am »
So we will have to say The Station.....you remember........were a murder took place in the cellar bar in 1980?
That rings a very vague bell, do you remember the details?

Online cygnusx-1

« Reply #826 on: November 30, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
A lad called Darryl Jones committed the murder by sticking a broken glass into a lad's neck and he bled to death. Darryl was a year or two older than me, about 19/20 at the time. I was out of town at the actual time it happened but had parked by the library later in the evening and had the police round my parent's house on the Sunday as they had taken car numbers for possible witnesses.

The cellar bar was very popular at the time but the incident did take the shine off the place....cannot remember when it finally closed but did enjoy bands like Badger Bell in the lounge on a Sunday evening until the mid/late 1980s. Not been in there or any pub in the Bay for 20 years apart from Wetherspoons......am I missing anything?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #827 on: November 30, 2014, 05:02:29 pm »
Of course there was another incedence late 80s. A big fight in town close to the central. The manager and assistant manager of the central versus a motley Crewe of hells Angels bikers.
  Nothing unusual about that, you say..  But it turned out that the bass charring ton manager and assistant had left their pub and set about the hells Angels further down the road.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #828 on: November 30, 2014, 05:14:45 pm »
Thanks for the info. It would seem that some of Colwyn Bays rougher pubs are slowly disappearing, with both the Central and Imperial closing in recent years.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #829 on: November 30, 2014, 05:27:35 pm »
The cellar bar was very popular at the time but the incident did take the shine off the place....cannot remember when it finally closed but did enjoy bands like Badger Bell in the lounge on a Sunday evening until the mid/late 1980s.
             I can remember travelling to the Bay to watch Badger Bell many times there on a Sunday night, great times! They had two lead guitarists and they always finished off the evening with their own version of "Freebird". We booked them for a gig at the Llandudno Rugby Club and they went down a storm, I can still see the expression on the face of the Club Chairman's wife when the did "Rock the Vicar"! 

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #830 on: December 01, 2014, 08:49:53 am »
I think the plan is for The Central to re-open as The Station. The plans did seem a bit pie in the sky though so I don't know if that's actually happening...
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #831 on: December 01, 2014, 09:42:01 am »
I think the plan is for The Central to re-open as The Station. The plans did seem a bit pie in the sky though so I don't know if that's actually happening...
Well, nothing had altered on the exterior. It's been closed for a while now, as well.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #832 on: December 01, 2014, 09:58:27 am »
Yeah a good few months. Can't say I was a regular before it closed either.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #833 on: December 01, 2014, 10:06:22 am »
Yeah a good few months. Can't say I was a regular before it closed either.
I think I ventured in there once when I was about 18. Haven't set foot inside since!  :laugh:

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #834 on: December 01, 2014, 01:42:07 pm »
The Central closed sometime in August.  I can't remember the exact date but there was a poster in the window advertising their closing down party (I declined my invitation but I'm sure Colwyn Bay's incapable of being upstanding community was well represented at the momentus event).

Since then I've walked past most days during my lunch break and seen no sign of activity whatsoever.  Until today that is.  There are now posters in the windows advertising the opening of The Station in April 2015.  There were also lights on inside so something must have been happening.  Having said that there were no skips, builders vans, etc so the work hasn't started yet in earnest.  The posters did however list Cadw as one of the partners in the scheme so hopefully this will be a proper building restoration and not just a cosmetic lick of paint to cover the cracks bodge job.

In other Colwyn Bay news the Old Manshop on Station Road has finally closed following their attempt to get into the Guinness Book of Records for the world's longest ever closing down sale.  There are already decorators in the shop refitting it.  I don't know who is going in there but judging by the very "funky" wallpaper that's being put up as we speak it's going to be something very different to what it was previously.

Also the former Speroni's/Gusto Italiano place on Conwy Road is being refitted as a snack bar and looks set to open very soon.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #835 on: December 01, 2014, 07:05:19 pm »
I noticed that the Manshop had finally closed down, as well. With the exception of the cafe, the whole of Imperial Buildings is now vacant and the whole lot is up for sale at £395k, thats a bargain in my book for a prime piece of CB real estate.

Online cygnusx-1

« Reply #836 on: December 01, 2014, 07:23:50 pm »
Badger Bell's........Rock the Vicar had the poetic line........''Evening Vicar...show us your meat''.......to see it done live, remains up there with seeing Led Zeppelin supporting Chas and Dave!!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #837 on: December 01, 2014, 07:25:47 pm »
Welcome back Fat Andy, (or as I prefer, Andy!) .... I was just talking about you with Dave R, over a cuppa today!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #838 on: December 02, 2014, 08:29:01 am »
Welcome back Fat Andy, (or as I prefer, Andy!) .... I was just talking about you with Dave R, over a cuppa today!
Indeed we were, hoping to see you back on the Forum, and you magically appear!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #839 on: December 02, 2014, 09:34:46 am »
 >>>a post or two back and DaveR mentions "some of c bs pubs" etc. my mind goes back to when the Bay had just THREE pubs in the whole town. Four if you count the bar on the pier. Then the Park was built around 1938.
  So when I was old enough to venture forth into unknown territory like Old Colwyn, Llandudno, Abergele, Rhyl and especially Holywell and Flint I just could not believe how many pubs there were. Or rather I should say how few the Bay had. Holywell for example had three right next door to each other in the High street. Evidence that the Bay was a new town, unlike all the rest