Author Topic: Fester's Favourite Pubs Thread  (Read 47607 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Fester's Favourite Pubs Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 10:17:06 am »
No probs P !   $thanx$

I know I frequent some Dives,   but even I stay out of The Clarence these days !!   L0L

Think if you managed to get in there you'd either fall through the holes in the floor or get bitten by something evil !! _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Yorkie

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2010, 11:35:59 am »
The only pub in town that I have entered is The Albert!   Is that a record?    Z**

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »
The only pub in town that I have entered is The Albert!   Is that a record?    Z**
Could be, I have only been in 2, but never drunk anything other than lemonade in either ! And I live in the town.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 06:02:39 pm »
I see Fountains is in the news - I had no idea that Darren was the owner....  :o  ;)

A PUB manager who was threatened with prosecution for breaking advertising laws has branded the move as ridiculous.

Darren Randale, of the Fountains Cafe and Bar in Llandudno, has spoken out against a letter from the council accusing the pub of breaching advertising laws.

The landlord is accused of breaching regulations by using a hearse to promote his Hallowe’en event last Sunday.

But the owner of the Mostyn Street pub insists he has done nothing illegal.

“When I received this letter, I was in disbelief,” said Darren. “We had a hearse advert for our Hallowe’en weekend, but the council said we hadn’t got planning permission to advertise it.

“How are we supposed to know that we need planning permission? It’s not doing anybody any harm.

“Wherever the hearse has been parked, we’ve paid for it. Lots of other businesses have passed comments on what a novel idea it is.

“The council says it’s in breach of advertising regulations, but then don’t highlight the regulations.”

Darren added that a similar hearse was used to promote the recent Rocky Horror Show by the council-run Venue Cymru.

“Does this mean that when a joiner goes to a building site with his van, that’s an ‘event’, or when coaches come into Llandudno with their names on the side, that's an ‘event’? How is this breaking a law?” he added.

“In the current economic climate you wonder whether the council has time to chase such small minded issues.

“It’s bringing people into town, you’ve got to do things like this. It brings a bit of enjoyment.”

But council officials remain adamant that consent is needed for vehicles advertising an event.

Planning officer for Conwy County Council Paula Jones explained: “Advertisement consent is not usually required to advertise a business on a vehicle.

“However, if the vehicle is being used principally for the display of advertisements, then consent is required.

“In this instance, concerns were raised from a number of sources and this is the second time the authority has investigated the owner about vehicles being used principally for the display of an advertisement.

“From our investigation it is clear the primary purpose for the vehicle was to advertise the Hallowe’en event at his business premises. “

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2010/11/04/llandudno-pub-manager-accused-of-breaking-advertising-regulations-55243-27594481/

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2010, 07:50:49 pm »
Fester-----I'm not really surprised they are out of Flowers bitter if it has to be brought from Bristol. At least when it was a Flowers pub back in the 60s I presume there was Flowers Mild as well,maybe that "new" drink Larger.  Mike

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2010, 08:26:06 pm »
Re-The Fountains article by Dave..
Darren is referred to as Manager, Owner and Landlord at various points of the article .. but that is totally irrelevent.

What IS relevent, is the unbelievable petty small-mindedness of CCBC ..Once again!

The Fountains is the most attractive, best managed, and vibrant pub in this town ... so many others are grubby, run down, badly managed or even closed.   That will be true of The Fountains if this persecution continues.
Businesses in this town very rarely come up with any interesting or attractive ideas, or invest any money ... The Hearse was one eye-catching idea, and obviously cost quite a bit to deck out.  Fair play to them.

Are the Council determined to stamp on any little bit of creativity?

Paula Jones??  I can't help but notice that Paula Jones is the CCBC official behind this ... I recieved a letter from her TWO MONTHS ago saying she was investigating a planning / public safety complaint on my behalf ... I have heard nothing since.  Now I see why, she is way too busy with the top urgent matter of an advert on a car.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:05:09 pm by Fester »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2010, 03:45:19 am »
Darren is the manager.

Planning officer for Conwy County Council Paula Jones explained: “Advertisement consent is not usually required to advertise a business on a vehicle.

“However, if the vehicle is being used principally for the display of advertisements, then consent is required.

“In this instance, concerns were raised from a number of sources and this is the second time the authority has investigated the owner about vehicles being used principally for the display of an advertisement.

What a load of baloney. Okay,  “Advertisement consent is not usually required to advertise a business on a vehicle. This means that if you owned a taxi with the company logo emblazoned on the doors, you could drive it with CCBC's consent as long as you're carrying passengers - ie- running a business.

“However, if the vehicle is being used principally for the display of advertisements, then consent is required. so, this means that if you want to drive the taxi without passengers, the vehicle will be used principally for the display of the advertisements on the doors, eg-, if you decide to drive the cab to ASDA to do a bit of shoppping on your day off, you will have to have written consent from CCBC?

Sounds like this Paula Jones is making up these rules as she goes along. Where's the By-Law that states these rules?

“From our investigation it is clear the primary purpose for the vehicle was to advertise the Hallowe’en event at his business premises. “

Yes, but it said the event was at Fountains which was advertising a business.  ZXZ

Anyway, last time I drank in fountains nothing was advertised and it ended up being an event.  WWW Z**

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:54:07 am by Trojan »

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2010, 02:51:07 pm »
What about the Panto?
Venu Cymru has a Honda wrapped in adverts every year !
????

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2010, 06:16:58 pm »
One would hope that that Honda, used by the Council to advertise Panto ...(I've seen it today) ...will have the relevent ''permissions'' if not its a scandal.

However even if it does, the fact remains that businesses in this town can stagnate and flout all sorts of laws ... but if anyone decides to invest in an idea or promote trade in a slightly different way to the norm .... then the full power of CCBC will be down on them within days.
The recent example of the heavy handed fines for 'No Smoking' signs in the wrong place typifies there over-zealous approach.

But you try reporting something or asking THEM for something,  then you are ignored completely. 

The Fountains is well run, attractive ... but victimised.   
Perhaps CCBC will be satisfied when all pubs resemble The Alex or The Snowdon.   ....or worse, The Tudno Castle Hotel !!

Why can't CCBC be seen to SUPPORT local business, instead of attacking it?
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2010, 06:45:40 pm »
I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere, one vehicle with an advert on is no problem and, indeed, full marks to Darren at Fountains for such an innovative idea...but what if every business decides to park a vehicle around town covered in adverts? If you allow one business to do it, then the precedent is set. If someone has complained to CCBC, then they are bound by law to take action, unfortunately.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2010, 06:47:03 pm »
Unless its ME that raises the complaint?   To the same person? ... and then I can be ignored!
I see how it works.
Fester...

Offline Paddy

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2010, 01:16:03 am »
Fester, on the subject of The Alex. I drove passed a number of times tonight and it seemed to be closed. Does anyone have any news about it?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 08:00:51 am »
The Alex been up for sale for a while, maybe the Landlord has thrown in the towel?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2010, 10:47:57 pm »
Darren is the manager.

Perhaps she thinks it's the thin edge of the wedge Trojan and wants to nip it in the bud, before others take advantage. ))* Have you looked at the cars parked outside the front of the St Georges Hotel lately? :'( Tribells never felt the need to advertise their Fish and Chip establishment to all and sundry, so why does the owner of the extravagantly overpriced new chippy in St Georges Place think he has the right to flaunt the rules?  PS I thought the Fountains Car and display were fantastic
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2010, 03:14:12 pm »
The Alex been up for sale for a while, maybe the Landlord has thrown in the towel?
When you have a pub thats run down it seems to attract a certain type of punter.  The Alex is a fantastc building in much need of  sympathetic renovation. Problem is the Pub-Cos are not interested in investing money in their properties. I like Jimmy, always have but he has no support whatsoever from his Pub-Co. He also has the Kings Arms and thats a really nice pub too completely different atmosphere to the Alex. The Alex is a huge building, why should Jimmy pay for all the repairs from his own pocket when he's already getting shafted on rent and beer prices. I wouldn't blame him if he did throw in the towel but it would be a shame as Jimmy is a popular landlord and everyone likes him.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley