Author Topic: Social housing  (Read 15031 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Social housing
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 03:04:16 pm »
only 9 years to go :o :D
So...wait 9 years and THEN be offended  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 03:17:13 pm »
I'm building up to it  :P

Croeso y Cymru  $walesflag$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 05:00:52 pm »
I hope you are joking when you ask where Bodafon Fields are. If not words fail me !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 06:57:35 pm »
I know where BODAFON fields are..... :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 07:23:37 pm »
And I am a SENIOR CITIZEN who moved here with my WELSH wife 25 years ago.   We too bought our place outright.  I wished my kids lived here also, but like so many other youngsters these days, they have had to leave home to find decent jobs in England or elsewhere.

I have tried to "fit in" but get fed up of some of the regular comments about the influx of people from outside of Wales... Just wait until you get the influx of emigrants that the major English cities have seen over the past 50 years.   Then there will be something to gripe about.  Immigrants getting social housing ahead of the local populous, it's all in the media.   $angry$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline dwsi

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:35 pm »
On my family farm, we are currently in the planning process for building 3 houses. 1 of these houses will be offered voluntary by us as social housing. During a meeting with the housing association, we said we wanted this house to go to locally born people. The housing association told us we weren't allowed to do this, they said if there was a couple from Birmingham that wanted a house then they would get it first.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 08:59:50 pm »
OOhh Llechwedd..... Can is open, worms everywhere!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 09:14:47 pm »
Immigrants getting social housing ahead of the local populous, it's all in the media.
It's really not. I know of a couple from Hong Kong who received a lovely new house in Rhos under the shared ownership scheme. How could they have possibly qualified for this scarce accommodation when they had only recently arrived in the UK, whilst young couples whose families have lived here for generations are still looking for their first home to buy?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 07:39:23 am »
"Shared ownership housing schemes are usually intended for people who cannot afford to buy a suitable home in any other way. However, the way in which this is defined will vary considerably with some shared ownership schemes merely being restricted to first time buyers and others to applicants living within a certain borough. Generally, priority goes to the following groups in the first instance, in order of priority: existing social tenants; serving military personnel; and then on equal priority ranking, local priorities as set by Local Authorities. "

From http://www.shared-ownership.org.uk/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 08:05:36 am »
Nonetheless, this Chinese couple found themselves living in a lovely shared ownership house. They've now returned back to Hong Kong.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 08:21:42 am »
Wasn't Hong Kong something to do with the British until just a few years ago?   We had too many colonies and now suffer the consequences!     &shake&
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:48 am »
Wasn't Hong Kong something to do with the British until just a few years ago?   We had too many colonies and now suffer the consequences!     &shake&
It certainly was, Yorkie. But I wonder if we would receive any social housing if we went to Hong Kong?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 12:06:38 pm »
Public housing in Hong Kong is a set of mass housing programmes through which the Government of Hong Kong provides affordable housing for lower-income residents. It is a major component of housing in Hong Kong, with nearly half of the population now residing in some form of public housing. The public housing policy dates to 1953, when a fire in Shek Kip Mei destroyed thousands of shanty homes and prompted the government to begin constructing homes for the poor.

Public housing is mainly built by the Hong Kong Housing Authority and the Hong Kong Housing Society. Rents and prices are significantly lower than those for private housing and are heavily subsidised by the government, with revenues partially recovered from sources such as rents and charges collected from car parks and shops within or near the residences.

Public housing estates are typically built in remote or less accessible parts of the territory, but urban expansion has left some older estates now deep within the inner city. They are found in every district of Hong Kong except in Wan Chai District. The vast majority of projects consist of high-rise buildings, and the recent buildings usually contain 40 or more storeys.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whether we would qualify for accommodation or not I do not know, but my Sister-in-Law had no problem with accommodation when she and her family were living there.   Perhaps someone else knows the answer?
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 10:44:49 pm »
I have been to Hong Kong many times in my life, and it is one of my very favourite places.

It is incredibly vibrant, clean and brilliantly managed in terms of infrastructure and public transport.
A very impressive city / state in many ways.

It is also a terribly over populated island and peninsula.

I don't know why Wan Chai is excluded from Social Housing developments, it is a sprawling metropolis of markets, bars and urban life.   Brilliant, if a little seedy.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:02 am »
The point I was trying to make is that oap's come here from England and buy up flats and houses at inflated prices which locals can't afford.  They are a huge drain on the infrastucture just talk to anyone from Social Services. If many houses are to be built then I think that they should be for locals who can afford thenm rather than yet more non locals.  I wan't having a go at you Merddyn so why take offence you are not old yet.