Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

Social housing

(1/14) > >>

dwsi:
Jac o' the North: Assembly Petition on Social Housing http://bit.ly/oWmvlv

Assembly Petition on Social Housing

I had earlier thought that my submission to the Assembly Petition Committee had been rejected for being too much like a petition presented earlier by one Adam Brown, domiciled in Cardiff but a Merthyr Tydfil councillor for Ukip. All explained here. But my - re-worded - petition has now been accepted. The reason for the change of heart is that I call for a residency qualification while Adam Brown is seeking to deny social housing to all "non-UK nationals".

The petition can be found here in Welsh and here in English. Obviously the wording will not be to everybody's liking but please don't be overly critical, because the point is to draw attention to the shambles that is social housing provision in Wales. This has to be the first step to getting the changes made that will benefit our people and our communities. The petition is open until December 31. After which:   

"You will then have the opportunity to present your petition to the Committee on the steps of the Senedd. This will give you the chance to meet the Committee Members and get some media coverage if you would like to. We can chat more about this closer to the closing date of your petition."

So let's give it our best shot; for even though this is my petition, through this blog and in other ways I have learnt of the massive and widespread dissatisfaction with the way social housing providers in Wales operate. So this is your petition as much as mine.

Please sign it and then pass it on to as many people as you know who share our feelings about social housing provision. Use Facebook, Twitter or any other medium you can think off - but let's get as many signatures as we can.

Posted by Jac o' the North

Ian:
I've inserted links to the relevant petitions, dwsi.

Pendragon:
I've signed the petition and posted the link on my facebook.  The issue of social housing has become out of control now it's getting beyond a joke.  I remember years ago I applied for social housing in Penmaenmawr and was told there was a 2 yr waiting list.  As homes became available I noticed the people getting those homes were not from Pen, and had never lived in Pen. 

DaveR:
It's crazy situation. I know of one shared ownership property locally, where the residents were from Kong Kong and didnt speak a word of English, whilst there were many local couples waiting to get on the property ladder.

Bri Roberts:
DaveR, what is the problem when shared ownership refers to ownership of a property and not renting?

Surely, a local couple are entitled to the same opportunity as a couple from Hong Kong if both couples are in a position to obtain and take on a mortgage in conjunction with an interest-only loan?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version