Author Topic: Crime and criminals  (Read 246125 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Crime and criminals
« Reply #720 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:34 pm »
The only unfairness is with the minority of people who think that society owes them a living and although they are physically and mentally capable of work they prefer to live off the efforts of others.

Yes, I agree there's a minority of self-serving individuals who seek to sponge off the state. Possibly however, where we differ is that I believe in the overall scheme of things they aren't that many. Naturally, because of comics like the DFM, we hear about them all the time and thus tend to believe that they're a much greater problem than they are. It's also possible to argue that the reason the DFM 'exposes' these individuals is that A) they're not too bright, B) The DFM is scared of going after the serious offenders and C) the DFM is only interested in increasing its circulation and profits and complex crimes involving massive VAT or Tax fraud don't make good reading, or at least as interesting as 'Benefit scrounger bites dog' type stories.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #721 on: April 08, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »
Excuse my ignorance Ian but what is DFM and what has it got to do with the article on these misfits that was reported in the North Wales Weekly News?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #722 on: April 09, 2014, 08:37:30 am »
what is DFM and what has it got to do with the article on these misfits that was reported in the North Wales Weekly News?

Sorry, Hugo.  DFM is an acronym for Daily Mail.  I'll leave it to your imagination as to what the "F" stands for  WWW

In terms of how it relates to the NWWN article I would contend that the regular outpouring of bile from that product (the DFM) actively skews perceptions across the readership (mainly women) who then view other news items through the perceptual filters applied by the DFM.

I can illustrate this easily.  In the story that originated this particular thread, there was no mention of the pair being on benefits. Had this story appeared n the DFM, however, you can be assured that not only would that have been an essential aspect of the story, but they would have dragged up other facts of which we may well still be unaware.

Although you yourself might not be a regular reader of the DFM, its contagious venom permeates thinking, even of non-readers, and thus contributes to the assumptions we all make - myself included. In its long and undistinguished history, of course, the DFM has been wrong on almost every major issue.  In the '30s, for instance, they were actively rooting for Hitler...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #723 on: April 09, 2014, 09:56:58 am »
what is DFM and what has it got to do with the article on these misfits that was reported in the North Wales Weekly News?

Sorry, Hugo.  DFM is an acronym for Daily Mail.  I'll leave it to your imagination as to what the "F" stands for  WWW

Thanks Ian,  I take it that you don't like the DFM   ;D     I have never read it so can't comment on it but will take your word for it.
There are some nice photos of this charming pair on the internet but any comments posted here are not just based on their appearance.

Offline hollins

« Reply #724 on: April 09, 2014, 10:07:00 am »

"Thanks Ian,  I take it that you don't like the DFM"

A classic reply Hugo, made me laugh. I hadn't got a clue what DFM was either but now I am wiser I will say that although I don't read the DFM articles they do have in my opinion the best photos in the online edition of any other newspaper.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #725 on: April 09, 2014, 10:11:35 am »
I think Ian must secretly be a keen reader of the DFM....  :twoface:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #726 on: April 09, 2014, 10:51:39 am »
 _))* _))* _))*

But I agree about the photos...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #727 on: April 09, 2014, 02:08:24 pm »
I read the DFM every day. Never fails to suprise me, I enjoy being angry  $angry$

This week they had some bile about about a person on benefits getting away with a few thousand quid or whatever.
in the article below they were twittering merrily about Kate Middleton flying off to New Zealand and taking with her entourage including among other things a 'personal hairdresser' without any condemnation at all!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #728 on: April 09, 2014, 02:25:13 pm »
I read the DFM every day. Never fails to suprise me, I enjoy being angry  $angry$

This week they had some bile about about a person on benefits getting away with a few thousand quid or whatever.
in the article below they were twittering merrily about Kate Middleton flying off to New Zealand and taking with her entourage including among other things a 'personal hairdresser' without any condemnation at all!
A bit of an odd comparison. The person fiddling benefits is committing a criminal act. What is Kate Middleton doing that is illegal? Regardless of whether you approve of them or not, the money then Royals spend is authorised by Parliament, so perfectly legal. I'm no particular fan of the Royal family but I think you're firing blanks this time...  :laugh:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #729 on: April 09, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »

A bit of an odd comparison. The person fiddling benefits is committing a criminal act. What is Kate Middleton doing that is illegal? Regardless of whether you approve of them or not, the money then Royals spend is authorised by Parliament, so perfectly legal. I'm no particular fan of the Royal family but I think you're firing blanks this time...  :laugh:

"This time"    you're far too tactful Dave        _))*
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:13:54 pm by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #730 on: April 09, 2014, 03:34:32 pm »
The person fiddling benefits is committing a criminal act. What is Kate Middleton doing that is illegal?

It's a fascinating conundrum, however, that evokes the thorny questions of Society's norms, legality and statutes of limitations. The Royal family itself is in power (and allowed to spend a lot of money) because their ancestors committed murder, mayhem, larceny and multiple abuses against our ancestors and got away with it, simply because they were the bigger bullies. Now, they're revered by the likes of the DFM, but one does tend to wonder about relevance and responsibility.

The issue that brings this into focus is the Age of Consent in countries around the world, a breach of which criminalises one of the individuals concerned. What is legal in some countries at 14, for instance, is termed rape or abuse in others until the age of 18. In Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, for instance, Juliet was 13 on her 'wedding' day, and that wasn't unusual, particularly in Royal Families. In the 19th and 20th Centuries, familial conjugation amongst the Royals was common, and it's only relatively recently things have changed. That's the nub of it, too; as times change, what's legal and acceptable also changes. I do sometimes wonder if there's such a thing as Right and Wrong, objectively. 

B2R was legitimately examining the DFM's obsession with what that egregious rag calls the 'benefits class' based on financial disparities, while ignoring far more significant financial disparities that might be occurring elsewhere. In fact, the current trip is largely paid for as the couple themselves are actually employed by the Government (though I doubt there's a detailed job description :-) as ambassadors and envoys and - in that sense - they do a good job.  I've been thinking for some time that the one thing that might possibly swing the outcome of the Scottish independent vote might be a major royal visit by 'er Maj. She still has a bit of clout North of the border, not to mention the odd castle or two...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #732 on: April 09, 2014, 04:00:34 pm »

I didn't say the person on benefits was fiddling. I don't think they were,  though it's hard to pick any salient points out of the DFM it all kind of blurs into a sort of hate filled rant collage.

It's also not illegal to be on benefits, but shows like the Jeremy Vile show on ITV and toilet paper like the Mail make it seem like the biggest crime in the world at times.

I was merely pointing out that the Royal leech made me more angry than the people on benefits and the DFM were completley ignorant or oblivious that it might be to anyone, I think you'd need a nuclear weapon to penetrate the bubble them and their readers live in.

Anyway back to local topic (see above)

$good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #733 on: April 09, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #734 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:56 pm »
Seems like one drug 'gang' attacking another.

not unusual has been going on since prohibition, it led to the rise of the Mafia.
Now it seems there are drug gangs figthing in North Wales - not a good sign at all