Author Topic: Crime and criminals  (Read 246099 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Crime and criminals
« Reply #660 on: February 18, 2014, 06:06:01 pm »
Have the same rules as for drivers, if someone is drunk in public and causing trouble breathalize them and if over the limit, large fines and a long curfew on them!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #661 on: February 18, 2014, 07:23:35 pm »
Vigilantes - out and about delving out the punishment that fits the crime!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #662 on: February 18, 2014, 08:26:31 pm »
Mr Roberts said a prison sentence would result in his son going into care.

How so? Who was looking after his son whilst he was drinking 10 pints of lager?

That's the question that should be answered, and if it was the child's mother then there is no reason whatsoever for Cody not to go to prison especially in view of his appalling record.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:52:52 pm by DaveR »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #663 on: February 19, 2014, 07:18:34 am »
What I find mildly curious is why he didn't. The local Magistrature are not known for their lenience in cases of physical assaults, regardless of personal circumstances.  Methinks there's more to this than we know.

The 125 offences sounds terrible, until we read that they probably all occurred more than 12 years ago.  But the number, I hear being muttered.  Yes - 125 seems a lot, but we don't know what sort of offences, how serious they were nor how many at one time he might have asked to 'be taken into consideration'.  For all we know it might have been 124 litter dropping incidents and one 'spitting in a public place', although I agree that's hardly likely. But the point is we don't know and can only assume they must have had compelling reasons to leave him free.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #664 on: February 19, 2014, 11:32:30 am »
It's just over 12 years since someone broke into my car on the driveway and tried to take it away.  They may have succeeded had I not been alerted by my dog but when I went to the car at the bottom of my drive the culprits had gone but hundreds of pounds worth of damage had already been done to the ignition.
The CID were pretty  useless and refused to take any fingerprints etc so I do not have too much faith in them when it comes to incidents like mine.
At the time there were a number of incidents in the area and they were attributed to the same person and I have my suspicions that this person was involved in mine too although thanks to the inactivity of the Police I can't prove it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #665 on: February 19, 2014, 01:07:41 pm »
When you say "The CID were pretty  useless and refused to take any fingerprints " that is actually grounds for complaint.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #666 on: February 19, 2014, 01:53:24 pm »
Have the same rules as for drivers, if someone is drunk in public and causing trouble breathalize them and if over the limit, large fines and a long curfew on them!

Apart from the breathalize bit that is exactly what they do know isn't it?
Unless they make a law saying it's illegal to be drunk in public full stop, the breathalizer idea is redundant

Offline Hugo

« Reply #667 on: February 19, 2014, 04:36:38 pm »
When you say "The CID were pretty  useless and refused to take any fingerprints " that is actually grounds for complaint.

The Police Constable who arrived on the scene was excellent and very professional and looked for any evidence that could possibly determine who the criminal was.   He asked me to sit in the driving seat but not to touch anything and one of the things we discovered was that the crook had adjusted the driving mirror and a print was visible on the glass.  Then the CID came and I was then told that it wasn't possible to take prints from the vehicle in view of the material that the interior of the car was made of.
I didn't press this at the time as my wife was ill and I had more important things on my mind.
I had criminal damage caused to another car in Morrisons car park and although this was caught on CCTV the Police decided not to do anything and wouldn't do a forensic test on the paint that the car had left on my car.
The Police in general do a wonderful job in difficult circumstances but in my experience justice comes at a price and while they are governed by restraints on finances and resources then crooks will continue to get away with what the Police consider to be minor crime.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #668 on: February 19, 2014, 04:40:43 pm »

Apart from the breathalize bit that is exactly what they do know isn't it?
Unless they make a law saying it's illegal to be drunk in public full stop, the breathalizer idea is redundant
There has been a Law for donkey's years and it is an offence to be Drunk and Incapable or Drunk and Disorderly in a Public place.  If one decided to use an Intoximeter a reading level would have to be decided.  But as we all react to alcohol in a different way it would be virtually impossible to agree a figure that could not be subject to appeal.

There is also a responsibility for Pub Landlords not to serve anyone who appears to be intoxicated. 

A complete ban on drinking in public places may be a part answer to the problems associated with alcohol consumption.
 Z**  Z**  Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #669 on: February 19, 2014, 04:58:42 pm »
£80 penalties include;

Wasting police time or giving false report

Using public telecommunications system for sending false messages

Knowingly giving a false alarm to a fire brigade

Causing harassment, alarm or distress

Throwing fireworks in a thoroughfare

Drunk & disorderly

Selling alcohol to person under 18

Purchasing alcohol for person under 18 in licensed premises

Purchasing alcohol for person under 18 for consumption in a bar in licensed premises

Delivering alcohol to person under 18 or allowing such delivery

Destroying/damaging property (under £500)

Theft (retail under £200)

Breach of fireworks curfew

Possessing Category 4 firework

Possessing adult firework by person under 18

£50 penalties include;

Trespassing on a railway

Throwing stones etc. at trains or other things on railways

Being drunk in a highway, other public place or licensed premises

Consuming alcohol in designated public place

Depositing and leaving litter

Consuming alcohol by person under 18 in licensed premises

Allowing consumption of alcohol by person under 18 in licensed premises

Not many tickets are issued for just being drunk. If that were the case most people would get one during the weekend nights and thats just not practical. The statistics from 2004 (only ones I could find) show that 63,639 Penalty Notices for Disorder (PNDs) were issued by police forces in England and Wales in 2004.

The highest volume offences were 'causing harassment, alarm or distress' (28,790 PNDs issued) and 'drunk and disorderly' (26,609 issued). These two offences accounted for 87% of PNDs issued.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #670 on: February 19, 2014, 09:49:52 pm »
I read in thje Pioneer today local people in Junction are signing a petition to keep PC Mike Smith on the beat in their town.  I don't blame them either not only is a fab policeman but he's also very easy on the eye and there's nothing wrong with a bit of eye candy  :P
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #671 on: February 19, 2014, 10:43:56 pm »
No doubt Dave R will rush to sign that petition, for those very same reasons.  :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #672 on: March 05, 2014, 09:21:08 am »
Such lovely people....

A brother and sister who spat in the face of a woman bus driver may be jailed.

Jason and Chelsea Fallas, both of Llandudno, pleaded guilty at Llandudno magistrates court to common assault on driver, Ingrid Cumberbatch.

A condition of their bail is that they don’t use Arriva buses in North Wales.

Thery  also admitted threatening behaviour towards the driver in an incident that took place  on January 25.

James Neary, prosecuting,  said that during the journey from Rhyl, Chelsea Fallas, a 21-year-old mother-of-two of Pacr Bodnant, had appeared to be speaking angrily on her mobile phone.

At Penrhyn Bay, where the bus stopped for a while to keep to the timetable, Jason Fallas, 20, of Ffordd Elisabeth swore and threatened to tear up a paper the driver was holding “and smash the bus up”.

He was shouting and screaming and after Ms Cumberbatch told him to get off he spat on her cheek, his face contorted with rage.

She dialled 999 for police, and then the woman also spat in her face.

Ms Cumberbatch, in a statement read to the court by Mr Neary, said: “Both got off the bus shouting and screaming. He came back again on the bus and spat again on my cheek.”

Police arrived and took samples of spittle for DNA analysis.

The bus driver told police that nothing like this had ever happened to her in her six-year career and she was “in disbelief” that people could behave that way. She had gone to the doctor to be checked in case of infection.

Elen Parry, defending, said the pair had been returning from a visit to their father who was seriously ill in hospital and they were stressed and emotional.

Jason Fallas denied returning to the bus a second time. Chelsea Farras, who wept in court, maintained she had got back on the bus to say sorry to the driver and the only other passengers, a young couple.

Being the mother of two young children she’d been anxious to get back home.

Court chairwoman Vivienne Lomas told the brother and sister: “I think you both realise the seriousness of it. It’s the first time you’ve been here (in court) and therefore we will need to get a full report. The probation service will need to look into your background and find out about you.

"We can’t rule out custody but this isn’t necessarily an indication of just what we will do.”

The case was adjourned until the end of the month for pre-sentence reports.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-brother-sister-who-spat-6771166

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #673 on: March 05, 2014, 10:20:22 am »
dave i will bet you anything they won,t be jailed, and if fined who will pay it ,US the tax payer,never worked and never will ,spitting at someone is the lowest . :rage:

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #674 on: March 05, 2014, 11:00:25 am »
"who will pay it ,US the tax payer,never worked and never will"

How do you know this?