Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 200699 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #660 on: July 15, 2023, 05:36:45 pm »
Now that does sound like a good idea, but if it's going to work then I'll need a 100% loan from my rich cousin Norman          ;)

Offline Hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #662 on: July 31, 2023, 03:59:47 pm »
Pigs wreak havoc in North Wales village after escaping from field
Around half a dozen porkers descended on Rhosllanerchrugog, near Wrexham, churning up gardens and ripping up turf
That little story reminded me of when I got married and lived in Towyn.    It was a brand new bungalow and backed on to a large field where a herd of cows used to graze.    We hadn't been able to see to the back garden and it was over knee high in thistles and other vegetation.     Anyway at the weekend we were having a lie in when I heard a commotion in the back garden and looked out of the window and saw a herd of cows there munching away on the thistles.
The cows could have done me a favour by munching away all the weeds if it wasn't for the fact that the previous day I had sprayed all the weeds with a strong weedkiller.
With visions of the cows dropping like flies in the garden I got dressed and sent them packing into the street where they ran like racehorses over the residents gardens.
I only found out later that the cows had come from the field into my next door neighbours garden and he drove them into my back garden

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/pigs-wreak-havoc-north-wales-27404983

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #663 on: September 16, 2023, 10:35:11 am »
Question over building on North Wales clifftop uncovers explosive history
History buff's theory to explain its important role

This squat, unassuming little building has an explosive history. People used to see it up on a rocky crag overlooking the Irish Sea.

For many, its purpose was a mystery so one woman posted some photos on Facebook and asked for information about it. Now its role may have become clearer.

On a page called Residents of Old Colwyn Past and Present, Donna Smith posted these photos of the building. She asked if anyone knew what it was used for apart from latterly a toilet.

There were a couple of theories. A number of people suggested it was a seafront lookout while others said it was a storage building for explosives at the nearby quarry.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/question-over-building-north-wales-27714505

Offline Hugo

« Reply #664 on: September 16, 2023, 03:00:34 pm »
Holiday park dog attack leaves five people injured
Two people have been arrested but police were keen to stress the canine is not believed to be a Bully XL breed

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/holiday-park-dog-attack-leaves-27727800

Offline SteveH

Re: Exploring The Area.......Pabo hall
« Reply #665 on: September 24, 2023, 09:43:08 am »
Elegant property once visited by Romanian princess on sale for almost 1.7m
Pabo Hall also has wonderful features and a beautiful setting
cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/property/elegant-property-once-visited-romanian-27758978

Lord of the Rings Snowdonia gorge with ancient bridge guarded by 'fearsome cockerel'
The Roman Bridge lies at the head of a stunning beautiful complex of fairytale gorges
cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/trips-breaks/lord-rings-snowdonia-gorge-ancient-27772142

Offline Hugo

« Reply #666 on: November 09, 2023, 07:25:23 am »
It's not 20 mph on this road bridge, it's only 5 mph and believe me that's fast enough on this rickety old bridge.   It's a beautiful old bridge in a stunning location
Motorists driving ?too fast? across iconic Snowdonia bridge with 5mph speed limit
Its new owners are concerned excessive speeds are affecting the bridge's timber decking

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/motorists-driving-too-fast-across-28060766

Offline Hugo

« Reply #667 on: November 13, 2023, 02:37:41 pm »
I regularly walk my dog on ?Dog mountain? near where I live and last year I met another dog walker and we often used to have a chat when we met..   We found out that we were both born in Llandudno and shared an interest in family research.    Roy said that he would like to revisit his home on the Great Orme but as he has mobility problems I offered to drive him around the area, but for one reason or another we never did visit the Great Orme, that was until this Saturday.    We met by chance again on Dog Mountain and because the weather was so good we decided to go for it.
It wasn't a walk as such but I drove to Old Road first of all, then on to St Beuno's Road, then to the Pink Farm before visiting St Tudno's Church.
I managed to park my car by the King's Head pub and walked uphill for a short distance.  What a lot of visitors don't know is that in the early 1800's Llandudno was just a small village built manly on the lower slopes of the Great Orme and it had a population of only 1131 in 1851.    The visitors also walk past and admire the quaint old cottages but know little about the history of the buildings.   The first cottage on the right after the King's Head is Ty Newydd, now a holiday rental cottage but that is where Roy was born.  It was built in about 1817 and was then a new house as the name Ty Newydd suggests.   According to the chronicles of Thomas Rowlands in the mid 1800's it was the home of aged widower William Jones and Siop Ty Newydd was run by David Williams and his sister Jane selling drapery and groceries.
Above Ty Newydd is Greenhill which operated two shops . Ann Jones opened Llandudno's  first Post Office there in 1838 which was in a small shed by the side of the house.    Roy also told me that his Taid David Owen who played for Llandudno FC lived there and related a story about his Taid  and the legendary Everton Footballer Dixie Dean.       Dixie and David were best mates and Dixie once came over to stay at the cottage and they both went out that night for a drink.   It must have been one heavy drinking session because they hadn't returned by midnight so Roy's Nain locked the cottage door.     When she opened the door in the morning there they both were fast asleep and still drunk from the night before!
After looking around we got back in the car and I drove up to St Beuno's Road and parked the car so we could have a look around. The views from some of the properties are spectacular with stunning views of  both Ormes and the Bay      For anyone  unfamiliar with the road, it's only a small road with nice terraced cottages and it had a Church and a Chapel at one time  but both have been converted into nice family homes.   We headed to Baron Hill where Roy's relations once lived but it's now two holiday cottages called Ty Mawr and Ty Bach.    By coincidence one of our forum member's family once lived there in the early 1900's.   I don't think that Karen would mind if I said that her ancestor Robert Hughes was fined thirty shillings for hitting a Police Officer and the judge said failure to pay would result in a months hard labour in prison!
We had our lunch in the car and then drove to the Pink Farm where another of his ancestors, the Owen family once lived,  The farm once sold alcohol as Cambrian has told us and I can even remember when it sold other refreshments.  You can just make out the words Teas on the slate roof of the farm
Then it was on to St Tudno's Church where Roy showed me the family grave where his relations the Jones' and the Owen's are buried.   
We had a good look around and finished a nice day out with a coffee at the Beach Cafe on the West Shore.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #668 on: November 13, 2023, 02:41:07 pm »
Great Orme

Offline SteveH

« Reply #669 on: November 18, 2023, 10:21:28 am »
'Fantasy' island home seen from A55 where people ?wouldn?t live for million quid?
It offers solitude in a spectacular location - but there is one big drawback

While some coastal residents rush to protect their properties from climate-driven flooding, others have become accustomed to the capricious nature of the sea. For more than 400 years, fishing families in the Menai Strait have been used to the familiar sound of lapping water on property walls.

A photo shared on social media this week showed water edging up flood walls protecting two properties on Ynys Gorad Goch, a distinctive island in the strait that separates Anglesey from Gwynedd. Surrounded by water in a raging tide, the island seemed to be almost floating along a channel that, at times, resembles a river more than the sea.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/fantasy-island-home-seen-a55-28123435

Offline Hugo

« Reply #670 on: December 09, 2023, 11:23:32 am »
I'm pleased to hear that this iconic bridge has now reopened.    It's set in an area of outstanding beauty and worth walking across if you are ever in the Barmouth area
We had arranged to do the walk along the disused railway track from Penmaenpool to Barmouth earlier this year but cancelled it when the bridge closed.    All being well we'll do it next Summer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67663284

Offline Hugo

« Reply #671 on: December 16, 2023, 08:45:36 am »
The charming village in the heart of Eryri where the weather is often unforgiving
The community often finds itself at the top of the league for windspeeds and rainfall amounts

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/charming-village-heart-eryri-weather-28277864

Offline Hugo

« Reply #672 on: December 17, 2023, 09:30:34 am »
Coastal boardwalk offers insight into council battle with man and his 'goldmine'
The nature reserve is now an area where families can enjoy the sea air and learn about nature
It's quite a pleasant and attractive walk with the bonus of a nice cafe by the pedestrian bridge

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coastal-boardwalk-offers-insight-council-28277860

Offline Hugo

« Reply #673 on: December 30, 2023, 05:09:49 pm »
The famous Anglesey statue that was built as part of an experiment
The memorial to Lord Nelson was built 150 years ago by an artist experimenting with materials

It's not that far from the Church but if you want to see the front of the statue (pictured) then you need to go there on a low tide

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/story-behind-well-known-anglesey-25767594

Offline Hugo

« Reply #674 on: January 02, 2024, 10:54:28 pm »
People warned to avoid going into sea at three Anglesey beaches         It comes amid a weather alert for rain in North Wales
These are three lovely beaches but I don't think that many people will want to swim in the sea now anyway.   I hope that Dwr Cymru cleans up its act before this Summer.      Pembrokeshire seems to be in the poo too!

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/people-warned-avoid-going-sea-28378107