Author Topic: Miriam and Isaac Jones ( Yr Ogof)  (Read 44303 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Miriam and Isaac Jones ( Yr Ogof)
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2024, 08:42:48 pm »
Thanks Cambrian, that's very much appreciated.     I've walked past the place where Ty Hen once was but it must have been demolished and the site incorporated into the Penrhyn Bay housing estate
I couldn't find the pair of them in the FREE CEN for 1871 but will try again when I next go to the Library as I can get more info there

Offline Hugo

« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2024, 12:19:19 pm »
I had a look at an old map and saw Ty Hen on it exactly as you described Cambrian.    In fact I was in the area yesterday and thought that I'd have a look where it once was.
Unfortunately I had forgotten that it was on a track full of potholesso when I drove down the lane.   I was in for a nasty shock but everything on the car is ok unlike the lady who lives at the end of the lane.
When I spoke to her yesterday there was a repair vehicle outside her house as the car's axle had gone when she hit a deep pothole!
Next time I go I'll be walking on that lane     :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2024, 11:30:51 am »
AJ,  I called at Nant Y Felin Maenan yesterday  and parked my car by the old Corn Mill.    I was lucky enough to meet a charming lady called Anthea who had lived in the area for 70 years and knew the history of the area.      The name Nant Y Felin is given to this area which is a delightful steep sided wooded valley with a stream running down the valley and it eventually flows in to the River Conwy.   She lived in a property nearby and had named it aptly Nant Y Felin.
Robert and his son John would have lived in the workmens cottages which were further up the hill but were sadly demolished many years ago and there is no trace of them now although Anthea did say that there may still be a gable end still visible.      I did go up the hill and across an old wooden bridge but couldn't see any sign of the ruin.
Now your relatives lived there at the same time and would have known the Miller who was called John Vaughan.          He was a monoglot Welshman from Llanefydd     The reason I mention it is because John Vaughan was the Great Grandfather of another forum member DVT.
Another thing Anthea mentioned was that the Corn Mill was just a working place and John Vaughan lived in the nearby Mill house, the one with the post box outside.    This cottage was also the last Post Office in Maenan
AJ,   I'm sorry that we could not find the link from John Jones to Isaac and Miriam Jones  Yr Ogof
but when things like that have been mentioned then there is usually truth in the stories but keep searching and I wish you the best of luck
I still have two copies of marriage certificates that you are welcome to have and if you want them please send me a PM and I can either post them or drop them off somewhere.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2024, 11:34:58 am »
Nant Y Felin  Maenan