Author Topic: The UK's fraud epidemic.  (Read 2982 times)

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The UK's fraud epidemic.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 02:08:21 pm »
I received a telephone call this morning from 01492594973 informing me there had been an attempt to take two payments out of my account but not which account. Then went on to ask me to press 1 for further assistance. I have had these calls before which turned out to be scams, but never from a local number which is worrying. On checking the number online all it's saying is it's a BT Landline located in Colwyn Bay. Has anyone else received one of these calls, or has anyone got a suggestion as to who I can report this too?

Meleri, here is one link .......... https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/scam-phone-call-warning

The above from Google search page, plus more below..........
https://www.google.com/search?q=who+do+you+report+suspicious+fraud+phone+calls&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB813GB813&oq=who+do+you+report+suspicious+fraud+phone+calls&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRifBdIBCjMwNjc5ajBqMTWoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2024, 03:49:18 pm »
I received a telephone call this morning from 01492594973 informing me there had been an attempt to take two payments out of my account but not which account. Then went on to ask me to press 1 for further assistance. I have had these calls before which turned out to be scams, but never from a local number which is worrying. On checking the number online all it's saying is it's a BT Landline located in Colwyn Bay. Has anyone else received one of these calls, or has anyone got a suggestion as to who I can report this too?

I would use Action Fraud, Meleri.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2024, 04:44:22 pm »
Thanks very much Steve & Ian for your suggestions I will do that.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 08:18:57 pm »
What you saw was an example of Number spoofing, Meleri, a technique which is seeing a rapid  rise at the moment.  It's simple to do and is making a fortune for scammers, particularly among the sufferers of Alzheimer's and other age-related memory issues. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2024, 02:14:51 pm »
I haven't heard of that before Ian, so thanks for letting me know very much appreciated.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2024, 10:33:20 am »
Channel 5 has recently started re-running the Alexis Conran series on scam types. It can be streamed on My 5 and it's arguably the best anti-scam programme out there.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2024, 04:07:04 pm »
Telephone scams:

Sky maintenance call

Recipients of this ?Sky Maintenance? call report that you're asked if you?d like to renew or cancel your contract with Sky or that an insurance payment for your Sky equipment is due.

In some calls, recipients have been offered a discount on their Sky services or threatened with a fine for not answering the caller?s questions.

The caller also asks for your account details; giving this information away is likely to result in another scam attempt.

HMRC scam call

These calls are a recorded message telling you that legal action (or a 'lawsuit') is being taken against you and to press one on your keypad to speak to someone or make a payment.  Some recorded messages also threaten you with being arrested for unpaid tax.

These out-of-the-blue calls can be quite concerning and may encourage you to act fast.

If you receive a call impersonating HMRC, you can report it to HMRC using its online form

.You'll be asked to sign in using your Government Gateway user ID or your email address.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2024, 04:11:22 pm »
Telephone Preference Service scam

A call from scammers impersonating the telephone preference service (TPS) tells you that you need to reactivate your registration with the service to ?protect you from scammers?.

The TPS is a free service which stops unsolicited sales and marketing calls and you can register online. The scam caller also asks for your bank details to complete the registration.

Passport scam call

Fraudsters have been calling potential victims and leaving recorded messages that claim there's a problem with your passport or visa application and to press one to speak to someone.

The official passport advice line is 0300 222 0000. You can also track your passport application process online

Avoiding phone scams

You could consider installing a call blocker to avoid spam and scam calls.

You should also be aware that fraudsters can keep your phone line open after you?ve hung up on a scam call. So, if you want to call the genuine company on a legitimate number, use a different phone or wait for at least 10 to 15 minutes before you make a call.

For bank impersonation scams, you can Call 159 and you'll be put through to your bank's genuine customer service line.

Reporting phone scams

To report a scam call you can text the word ?call? followed by the phone number to 7726.

On WhatsApp, open the WhatsApp chat with the dodgy phone number and tap 'block.' You can report the contact by tapping 'report contact' and 'block'.

If you become the victim of a scam, call your bank immediately using the number on the back of your bank card and report it to Action Fraud
or call the police on 101 if you?re in Scotland.