Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 373654 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #1305 on: December 22, 2022, 11:58:16 am »
Over recent years I have ordered a number of items online and never had any problem.   I've put all my bank details in to a site and pressed the "Buy" button and it's as simple as that.
In recent weeks however I have followed the same procedure , pressed the buy button and another page has appeared saying that as an additional protection for my money I had to click on one of two buttons
The first is a Bank  app which I don't have and the second is an OTP button  ( One Time Password ) which I have but pressed hen nothing has happened, no text message to my laptop or mobile phone so I just give up on the orders
Has anyone ever had the same experience when activating the OTP button and how did you get around it?

It's not a scam as I've had e-mails from the well known company but it didn't help with the purchase

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1306 on: December 22, 2022, 01:02:26 pm »
We have noticed an increased level of security, especially if it is a new company you are dealing with, we get a phone call giving us a security number to confirm all is OK.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1307 on: December 22, 2022, 01:36:08 pm »
Thanks Steve,  I did ask the company to let me know the OTP  by e-mail or phone but they said that it is the bank who supplies the OTP but it never happened to me so I e-mailed the company and said that I'll deal with the local shop in future
The system must work somehow so I'll pop into my bank and check that they have my up to date contact details

With this new system and self service in supermarkets etc I feel like I'm turning into a robot     :(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1308 on: December 22, 2022, 04:05:17 pm »
Yep;  it's getting complicated all right. Okay, once you get used to it, though. The Banks are protecting themselves.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1309 on: December 22, 2022, 05:02:22 pm »
A strange experience at the Building Society yesterday.  I called in to hand in a routine form as a customer.  As I was there, I thought I might as well ask for change of a tenner (useful at this time of year for collections etc).  To my surprise this seemingly innocent request was refused.  On enquiring the reason, I was told "the regulator won't allow us to give change".  I then suggested that had I brought in my passbook, deposited the tenner, I could have immediately withdrawn ?10 in the fiver and five ?1 I wanted.  The somewhat sheepish reply was "Yes".  Clearly some Building Societies and regulators do not inhabit a planet where common sense exists. Life does get more complicated.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1310 on: June 14, 2023, 11:37:22 am »
I have not contributed to the Forum for some time and would like to cancel my membership for personal reasons . How do I do this?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1311 on: June 14, 2023, 12:34:34 pm »
I can do that, if you really want me to, B; however, leaving the place entirely means you would lose all your old posts. Unless there's a compelling reason I would tend to leave the account dormant, then you can return whenever you wish.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1312 on: June 14, 2023, 12:44:32 pm »
Sorry to hear that Bellringer as I have appreciated your advice on birds and the garden,   As a result I now have Goldfinches nesting in my garden.   Thanks again for your advice

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1313 on: June 14, 2023, 01:01:01 pm »
Thank you both.
My request comes after a suggestion that I should change my password. If I can do that I shall be happy to remain a member and perhaps restart posting

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1314 on: June 14, 2023, 05:20:47 pm »
Changing your password is simple.

1.  Click on your name.
2.  Under 'Modify Profile' click on Account Settings.
3.  Go to Choose Password.
4.  After entering a new one, click on Change profile.

That's it.  Your passwords can't be accessed by Admin staff, and we've not recorded anyone trying.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1315 on: April 18, 2024, 01:45:56 pm »
By my own admission I am pretty useless on computers and can only do basic stuff like e-mails etc.     Last night I did a few e-mails and then closed the application
Something happened and I had to go back into the e-mails again but instead of my normal inbox this appeared ( see photo )  now I can't send or receive e-mails and want my old system back
Has anyone else had this problem where the computer has imposed the new system on them and how do you get around it?

I have to use an engineer to sort out problems for me so I might phone him anyway but wondered if it's just me or is it part of updating the e-mailing system?

Offline mull

« Reply #1316 on: April 19, 2024, 09:42:56 am »
Hi Hugo,
We had problems with BT emails last week. Told us we had been compromised, Reset our password and and it has been ok since.

Gets to be a hassle having so many passwords.