Author Topic: Exploring The Area  (Read 203870 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Exploring The Area
« Reply #645 on: March 03, 2023, 10:55:32 am »
I was horrified to see what they have done to the waterfall at Wepre Park. The last time I was there it was a pretty spot, natural and unspoiled. I fear this structure will be left in place now it has been erected. This place received Lottery Grants to make improvements to the gardens and park. It seems inappropriate to take that money and then ruin the place by such a development.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #646 on: March 03, 2023, 02:45:50 pm »
I'm pleased that you've seen Wepre Park and remember how nice and unspoilt it was.    I was there in 2021 and they had made a number of improvements to the park.
I've attached a few photos from my last visit there and they had even improved the Pet Cemetery.     I bet Nora the Nun, the resident ghost will be turning in her grave at the thought of that monstrosity

Offline Helig

« Reply #647 on: March 04, 2023, 11:10:01 am »
Thank you for these photos, Hugo. I haven't been there since they received the Lottery grant and did improvements to some of the park. I have an idea that a gt gt gt grandfather of mine worked there as a gardener back in the 19th century. He was born Flint Mountain and lived in Wepre and Connah's Quay all his life.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #648 on: March 06, 2023, 10:28:35 pm »
Sand-covered bricks on North Wales beach mark site of bungalow lost to the sea  Some sections of the bungalow have survived the elements
At the time Rhyl had an 18 hole Golf Links but 9 holes were lost to the sea.   Salem Bungalow looked very impressive when it was built

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/sand-covered-bricks-north-wales-26400487

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Exploring The Area.........Amazing grotto
« Reply #649 on: March 12, 2023, 10:20:23 am »
Amazing' grotto opens in North Wales gallery that has secret stream running through it
The building was constructed as an infill property over a culvert installed by Thomas Telford in the 19th century

Frank Meldrum will never forget the day two nuns visited his gallery. Small talk led to a discussion about the unusual history of his Penmaenmawr premises, now a showcase for vintage sewing machines.

The nuns were visiting from the nearby Noddfa Centre, a grand country house built by a relative of William Gladstone. It was used as a holiday home by the Owen Owen department store family and is now a religious retreat. Pulling back a carpet on the shop floor to reveal an embedded window, Frank, 78, revealed the building?s big secret..........

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/amazing-grotto-opens-north-wales-26435966?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Cadw has released its packed May half-term schedule, offering activities for families to enjoy and bring Welsh history to life. From May 27 to June 4, Cadw sites ? including an ancient fortress, abbeys, and castles - will play host to a wide range of historical and cultural activities providing an exciting day out for the whole family.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/cadw-sites-across-wales-offer-a-majestic-may-half-term-for-all-the-family/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #651 on: May 21, 2023, 10:07:31 am »
Snowdonia's hidden 'little Italy' reveals more of its astonishing secrets
Scores more replica buildings and structures have been discovered as the overgrown site is cleared

A mini Portmeirion hidden in vegetation has yielded more of its secrets as the site is cleared. Volunteers have been left bewildered by the sheer number of replica buildings scattered across a small woodland known as the ?Little Italy? of southern Eryri (Snowdonia).

?Every time I pulled away more ivy, I thought, bloody hell, there?s another one,? said Jonathan Fell, the site?s flamboyant curator. At the last count, around 200 ?objects? had been unearthed ? not just buildings but statues, plaques and curios as well. Before conservation work began, a few years ago,

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/snowdonias-hidden-little-italy-reveals-26950237

Offline Hugo

« Reply #652 on: June 01, 2023, 11:28:34 am »
Tellytubby  has been out and about recently and has sent me some photos.     The first two are from Bodnant Gardens  and he said that the gardens were really busy so that's a good thing.
The 3rd & 4th photos were taken from the bird reserve at Llandudno Junction

Offline DVT

« Reply #653 on: June 01, 2023, 11:41:47 am »
Bodnant  ... recent days have seen 3500 or thereabouts visitors daily!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #654 on: June 02, 2023, 11:23:30 pm »
Tellytubby told me that he had never seen the car park that full and he had to park his car right at the top of the hill.   It's no wonder so many people go there as you and the other volunteers keep the gardens looking immaculate.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #655 on: June 14, 2023, 06:01:53 pm »
I saw this article in the Daily Post today and it reminded me of the time I took my wife to see the Church.    At the time Mrs H was suffering from Chronic Fatigue so she couldn't walk far so I surprised her and took her to Aberffraw and at least she would be able to see the Church from a distance.
You can get to the Church at low water and there is a sort of causeway that takes you up to the steps leading up to the Church.
  It was low water when we visited there then to our amazement the bride and groom were on the causeway walking to the Church to get married.   The Bride had hitched up her white wedding dress and we could see her wearing a pair of wellies.
Thankfully a year or so later on Mrs H's condition had improved and we were able to walk to the Church.    The inside of the Church is quite plain but its location is unique

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/whats-your-favourite-church-north-27120947

Offline Hugo

« Reply #656 on: July 09, 2023, 02:38:22 pm »
Hidden rock path leads to 'magical' cave beach that was one of Anglesey's best-kept secrets
For generations of local people, it was their own private 'swimming pool'
We visited Traethh Dynion  (Mens beach ) in 2018 and it is worth a visit.    During our visit we met a local and he tols us a story about Queen Victoria visiting the beach and having a swim there and for reasons of modestry she changed in the cave described in the article.
Whether the story is true or not it did make interesting listening to the guy

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hidden-rock-path-leads-magical-27280683

Offline Hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #658 on: July 15, 2023, 09:26:00 am »
Holiday chalet on edge of glorious North Wales beach up for sale for ?1m
It is situated on the exclusive Warren holiday park just outside Abersoch,  I don't suppose any local people will be making an offer for the holiday chalet?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/holiday-chalet-edge-glorious-north-27313754
[/quote]

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #659 on: July 15, 2023, 12:14:18 pm »
Are you putting the feelers out Hugo making sure nobody buys it before you. 😂