Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2674109 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3210 on: November 24, 2012, 12:04:38 pm »
I saw in the Daily Post how a Llandudno Restauranteur is apparently being forced to sell up after losing the appeal over upvc windows. Odd really, when you consider how her property has been listed with St. Davids for 2 years at least:
http://www.stdavidsproperty.com/asp/detail.asp?l=10&p=469&o=13

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3211 on: November 24, 2012, 06:11:31 pm »
True Dave-- I had noticed that!

Two windows now completely blown out of the Clarence-- frames included and the slates are rapidly sliding down the old cobblers shop in Bodhyfrid Rd. It is becoming a public danger never mind an eyesore.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3212 on: November 24, 2012, 06:19:01 pm »
I saw in the Daily Post how a Llandudno Restauranteur is apparently being forced to sell up after losing the appeal over upvc windows. Odd really, when you consider how her property has been listed with St. Davids for 2 years at least:

I would think that there is a case against the window installers.  They should have been aware of local rules and regulations and probably should have, as the experts, given advice to the property owners.  Likewise, maybe CCBC should have circulated information to such companies particularly as many properties in the town could come within the scope of the regulations.  I would certainly get an opinion if I was affected.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3213 on: November 24, 2012, 06:59:44 pm »
CCBC does issue a leaflet about properties in Conservation areas, a friend of mine received one.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3214 on: November 24, 2012, 07:39:02 pm »
CCBC does issue a leaflet about properties in Conservation areas, a friend of mine received one.

I think some of the windows affected we're replaced some years ago.  I wonder when the leaflets started going out?   And was the leaflet specific enough to warn property owners about choice of materials and style for important parts of the facade?
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3215 on: November 24, 2012, 08:30:59 pm »
Most of central Llandudno has been a Conservation Area since 1976, so I doubt the windows were installed before then. Surely you'd check something like that before buying a property?

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=515&doc=20224&Language=1

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3216 on: November 24, 2012, 09:29:56 pm »
Most of central Llandudno has been a Conservation Area since 1976, so I doubt the windows were installed before then. Surely you'd check something like that before buying a property?

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=515&doc=20224&Language=1

I would actually expect my Solicitor to advise me after completing the Local Authority searches. 

But what about those poor folk who bought a property after the previous owner had replaced them?

With all the problems this Community has, it surprises me that this should be a matter that CCBC have chosen to major on.   The mind boggles.
Cicero

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3217 on: November 24, 2012, 09:32:05 pm »

I would think that there is a case against the window installers.  They should have been aware of local rules and regulations and probably should have, as the experts, given advice to the property owners.  Likewise, maybe CCBC should have circulated information to such companies particularly as many properties in the town could come within the scope of the regulations.  I would certainly get an opinion if I was affected.
 ZXZ

What rubbish. It's not up to anybody apart from the home/business owner to ensure that any work is line with planning.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3218 on: November 25, 2012, 09:07:49 am »
What rubbish. It's not up to anybody apart from the home/business owner to ensure that any work is line with planning.

While that may be accurate many companies include obtaining 'any necessary permissions' for a customer in their price, and some older folk or vulnerable groups could fall foul of this sort of thing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3219 on: November 25, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »
An excellent point Ian.  Whilst "ignorance of the Law" is no defence, I don't know anybody who knows or understands everything about planning laws, or any other of the millions of laws, rules and regulations that affect us.  Changes are going on all the time.    ££$
Cicero

Offline Jack

« Reply #3220 on: November 25, 2012, 02:20:25 pm »
Is it true that the Council/other public bodies actually gave grants for some of these windows in the first place and is a perfect example of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3221 on: November 25, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »
Is it true that the Council/other public bodies actually gave grants for some of these windows in the first place and is a perfect example of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing?

If such is the case then it is hard to understand how any Grant was either approved, or paid out!

it may be worthwhile for all the owners of the affected properties to get together and get some legal help, as something fishy seems to be going on and it stinks to high Heaven.   :rage

Any Council official got ny ideas as to who they could use to get bespoke wooden sash windows.   Very expensive ones at that I'm sure.   ;)
Cicero

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3222 on: November 25, 2012, 05:09:49 pm »
From my reading of the issue it seems more complicated than simply the conservation area.  Altering a listed building is a serious matter and as Yorkie has said, solicitors should have advised their clients on purchase. The other little matter is the question of all those folk who have quietly got on and complied with the rules over the years.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3223 on: November 26, 2012, 08:46:15 am »
Don't think I've ever seen so much water on Bodafon Fields as there is this morning.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3224 on: November 26, 2012, 08:52:23 am »
Drove up to Rhyl and back yesterday (Matalan-- it's time we had one !) and alot of the coast roads were badly flooded.

re windows:- we live in a listed building and therefore have to suffer the draughty old original windows. When we bought the place many moons ago we looked into replacing them. No way-- even then we were told that if we put the wrong ones in they would have to come back out. Plastic was completely out and Heritage hardwood sash windows were way beyond reason. We also have to gain permission from Mostyns to change any exterior paint colours. BUT-- we knew when we bought the place and haven't tried to flout the rules.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.