Author Topic: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay  (Read 234357 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay
« Reply #315 on: August 08, 2022, 09:57:28 am »
Impressive images show onboard the 14,000 tonne dredger ship sat off the North Wales coast
The Willem Van Oranjes' presence at Rhos-on-Sea has attracted a lot of attention while the coastal works continue

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/impressive-images-show-onboard-14000-24695205

Offline Hugo

« Reply #316 on: August 19, 2022, 02:45:26 pm »
Latest Rhos-on-Sea promenade revamp plans revealed - and controversial part has remained

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/latest-rhos-sea-promenade-revamp-24802118

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Rhos On Sea & Colwyn Bay..........NOSTALGIA
« Reply #317 on: October 02, 2022, 10:43:08 am »
NOT so long ago, dinosaurs roamed Colwyn Bay's very own Jurassic Park.

Well, not so much roamed, but they stood and roared to the delight of generations of children.

If you were a child of 70s, 80s or 90s in North Wales there is a good chance you visited Dinosaur World in Eirias Park.

It was advertised as the largest collection of dinosaurs in the UK, with a collection of more than 50 life-sized fibreglass models.

They made realistic - or best guess - noises and were shown in recreations of their natural habitat.

cont  photo gallery  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/22644460.remember-colwyn-bay-jurassic-park/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2024, 09:46:10 am »
Council plans to build new seaside kiosks on popular promenade          The plans form part of ongoing flood defence work in the area

Sounds like a good idea, wait until the promenade is completed and then dig it up again      ???       better still, wait until the Summer to get started on it and it can test out the new one way system that  CCBC  will introduce there

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/council-plans-build-new-seaside-28458003

Offline SteveH

« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2024, 10:25:10 am »
Hugo,  this Rhos on sea & Colwyn Bay thread is in the Times Past section, as I said yesterday on the Rhos thread all my old photos are no longer showing, so I will try and post a few every day on this thread,  anyone else with old photos of Rhos or the Bay please join in...........

The aerial photo of showing the pier also shows the outline of the old weir, to the right of the pier........

Offline SteveH

« Reply #320 on: April 24, 2024, 10:18:33 am »
More photos as promised, my great grandmother went to see the plane on August 11 1910 at Rhos golf club, and the man with the car is my great uncle, who drove this car for a local doctor, believed to be the first car in Rhos..............

DP article from 2010
North Waless first flight remembered 100 years on
A CENTURY ago today the air age arrived in North Wales when an adventurer crash landed in his doomed attempt to become the first pilot to cross the Irish Sea.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-waless-first-flight-remembered-2748127

Offline SteveH

« Reply #321 on: April 25, 2024, 10:04:47 am »
More photos ......... 
Wedgewood Cinema/Arcadia
26 Princes Drive, Colwyn Bay...

link https://cinematreasures.org/theaters/65366

Offline SteveH

« Reply #322 on: April 26, 2024, 10:14:30 am »
More photos...........

Offline Hugo

« Reply #323 on: April 26, 2024, 12:42:55 pm »
Your Great Uncle looks very smart in his uniform Steve and that car would be worth a bit in this day and age.     I know that I've seen Pye's Promenade garage but can't remember exactly where it was located.
Was it opposite where Bryan Davies estate agents office is now?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2024, 01:00:13 pm »
Hi Hugo, DVT worked out the year of the car, early 1900s as I recall, as for the garage I thought it was on the corner of the prom. and Penrhyn ave?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2024, 04:38:14 pm »
Thanks Steve and you are spot on.  The garage must have been on the site where Fortes now is.     If you look at Google street view now you can see the houses that are still there and the nice arched windows on the first floor are still there
I think that there was another garage on the corner of Penrhyn Avenue and Colwyn Avenue but that went some time ago and  there may be flats there now next to the Spar

Offline Hammy

« Reply #326 on: April 26, 2024, 07:46:04 pm »
Hugo, That would have been Rhos County Garage. My grandad bought a new Morris 1000 from them in 1963 (8779 UN).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #327 on: April 26, 2024, 11:14:51 pm »
Thanks Hammy, that's the name I couldn't remember.    That number plate is an old Denbighshire number and would be worth a bit now

Offline SteveH

« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2024, 09:41:43 am »
Hugo, That would have been Rhos County Garage. My grandad bought a new Morris 1000 from them in 1963 (8779 UN).

Some more photos, including a letter from my fathers old papers, he was an apprentice there before joining the RAF, I spent a lot of times visiting the Clarks who lived in the garage, when on holiday.

Offline DVT

« Reply #329 on: April 27, 2024, 09:48:00 am »
Steve H ... re the photo of your great uncle.  My wife's grandfather, Llewelyn Williams, was chauffeur for a Dr Lord in Colwyn Bay (he founded the Colwyn Bay Hospital).  I do have a photo somewhere, the car was a Daimler I think, and would have been 1920's or thereabouts.  Your photo looks older than that period!  When her grandfather retired (1950's) he was offered the current car as a retirement present, but turned it down as he would not be able to afford to run it!