Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 330621 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #870 on: April 20, 2024, 04:53:49 pm »
77 years ago yesterday, Rhos on Sea pier was sold at auction for ?2,250 to Mr W R Denson, a Chester businessman.
Many won?t remember Rhos-on-sea pier as it was pulled down in 1954 and so may be surprised to learn that it was older and far longer than neighbouring Colwyn Bay pier (which too has now been demolished).
Opened to the public in 1895, Rhos pier was financed by a consortium of local businessmen keen to have a slice of the burgeoning holiday trade and hoped that steamers would land thousands of tourists into the area each year. The business soon went bust, partly because when they built the pier, they didn?t construct a landing stage!
Local magistrate, William Horton, took over and a landing stage was built. In 1897 paddle steamers belonging to Horton?s Colwyn Bay & Liverpool Steamship Company started to arrive however further trouble arose in 1908 when one of his vessels, Rhosneigr, was wrecked near the pier. At low tide some of the wreckage can still be seen.
In May 1915 William Jones the pier master spotted Private Gwilym John Thomas of the Welsh Regiment on the landing stage and warned the soldier not to try swimming to the shore. Private Thomas replied: ?I?m an old sailor and I?m not born to be drowned?. He then proceeded to dive into the water, got into difficulty and drowned. He is buried at Bron-y-Nant cemetery.
During the Second World War, Rhos-on-sea pier was sectioned with planks removed to deny easy access to the invading enemy! These were replaced once the threat had passed but with Horton?s death in 1944, Rhos-on-sea pier?s glory days were firmly in the past. The council bought it off Mr Denson in 1952 and, despite much protest from local people, it was pulled down in 1954.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #871 on: April 21, 2024, 09:40:27 am »
Hugo, Its good to look at Rhos in the past again, some of my best childhood memories happened there, the old family house Ocean View is close to the boys cap in your second photo, and is still there today.

A few photos from my archives, which probable need reposting after our glitch awhile back............

photos.....

The sea frozen over in 1963

A very old photo from my great grans collection of the old royal weir...........

And guess who is standing on the rock by Rhos pier ?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #872 on: April 22, 2024, 03:32:30 pm »
It's nice to look at old photos and they bring back happy memories of a bygone age.     that young boy hasn't changed in all the years that have elapsed since the photo was taken.
Rhos holds many memories for a lot of people and I can clearly remember riding on a toastrack tram going past Rhos on Sea Golf Course when my father pointed out to me a boat that was being laden with Limestone from the Little Orme, nice memories.
It is only in very recent years that I found out that where the Pier once was, was in Caernarfonshire as I assumed it was in Denbighshire

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea...Caf? expands with nautical gift shop
« Reply #873 on: April 26, 2024, 09:58:43 am »
Coast Caf? expands with nautical gift shop in Rhos-on-Sea

A POPULAR caf? has now opened its nautical gift shop.

In March, the Pioneer reported that Coast caf? bar & gift shop had acquired 1-3 Rhos Road, in Rhos-on-Sea.

Darren Randle, owner of Coast caf? bar and gift shop, told the Pioneer at the time: "It will be an expansion of the caf?. It was part of the Rhos caf? when we opened seven years ago.

"This new premises will be the gift shop - it will be coastal themed and we can move more seats into the main caf?."

On offer at the gift shop is nautical home accessories and gifts.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24274992.coast-cafe-expands-nautical-gift-shop-rhos-on-sea/