Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

Council Services

(1/6) > >>

Yorkie:
I recently wrote to the CCBC regarding their new re-cycling program commencing in June.  Eventually I received the following reply which makes it apparent that we will all be trapsing along to the Public Amenity site with much of our disposable waste.  Their letter received by email today, note date of mine!    ££$
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Refuse and Recycling

Thank you for your letter dated 11th April 2011 regarding our new weekly recycling collections.  As you described in your letter, from June we will collect virtually all your recyclable household waste, every week, including food waste, plastic, cans, drink cartons, cardboard, paper, glass and batteries.  There will be no change to your garden waste collection service or your wheeled refuse bin collection, both of which will continue fortnightly.

Most non-recyclable items can be placed in your wheeled bin for disposal to landfill, with the exception of rubble, soil, plasterboard, any liquids or any hazardous materials such as paint, chemicals, clinical waste etc.  While electrical items are not specifically prohibited from landfill, we strongly advise that they not be placed in your wheeled bin.  Electrical items are one of the types of waste we are working to find more recycling options for, as described in the responses below to your questions regarding disposal of specific materials.

1.   “DIY leftovers such as plaster, cement, bricks and other similar rubbish.”  The Council does not offer a collection service for DIY waste.  Residents able to carry out DIY work are expected to make their own arrangements to dispose of their construction waste.  Household DIY waste is accepted at the Mochdre Recycling Centre.  If a contractor carries out the work, they must dispose of the waste through a commercial recycling or waste disposal outlet.

2.   “Old fat and cooking oils and car lubricants.” These items are accepted at Mochdre Recycling Centre.  Solid (but not liquid) waste fat can be placed in your wheeled bin.  Car lubricants are hazardous and any resident choosing to change their own car oil at home is responsible for its safe disposal.

3.   “Carpet, clothing and other materials.”  We are currently in a tender process to find a charity or company to carry out textile collections on behalf of the Council.  Details of this service will be provided along with your new recycling calendar, which will be delivered in early June.

4.   “Metals such as old domestic utensils, toasters etc.”  We will be encouraging the successful company or charity carrying out textile collections to also accept small electrical items (broken or working), for which they can receive payment from an appropriate Producer Compliance Scheme.  Proposals to collect general household bric-a-brac of the type that might be taken to a charity shop – books, CD’s, kitchen utensils etc – will also be considered.

5.   “Wooden items and broken furniture.”  The Council offers a bulky household waste collection service, for which there is a charge of £20 for up to four items.  Please call our Environment Advice Team on 01492 575337 to book a collection.

6.   “Items of mixed composition such as old televisions, computers etc.”  Most electrical retailers now offer collection and recycling of your old equipment when purchasing a new item.  Large electrical items can also be included in a bulky household waste collection, as described above.  Many charities or local community organisations also welcome donations of working television and computer equipment and may collect it.

7.   “Electrical items including cables and ceramics.”  As already outlined, we hope to be able offer kerbside collection of small electrical items in the near future.  We are also trialling electrical recycling banks at five locations in the County, but not unfortunately in your area as yet.

8.   “Hazardous items such as car batteries etc.”  The Council does not offer a hazardous waste collection service and hazardous waste is not permitted in your wheeled bin.  Most types of hazardous household waste are accepted at Mochdre Recycling Centre.  Most car battery retailers will recycle your old battery on purchase of a new one.

9.   “Any other unspecified waste.”  All the above waste types and many others not specified are accepted at Mochdre Recycling Centre, where over 80% of waste is recycled.  While we appreciate that not everyone owns a car to be able to access the Recycling Centre, a friend, neighbour or relative may be able to help.

As can be seen from our responses above, we do not have an answer for everything.  It would not be practical or economic for the Council to collect every type of waste, on demand, from every household.  What we will do is keep working to provide the most efficient and cost-effective collection service possible, with the maximum environmental benefit.

Yours sincerely

pp.   G.B. Edwards
Head of Environment & Technical Services

Pendragon:
Am I missing something Yorkie.  I was under the impression that rubble, kitchen work tops, fridges and the like were not to be put in wheely bins anyway?  It's the food waste that bothers me, it's going to stink and attract vermin.  The solution I suppose would be to buy a compost bin however I have no garden, only a small decking area.

Paddy:

--- Quote from: Pendragon on May 04, 2011, 06:23:10 pm ---It's the food waste that bothers me, it's going to stink and attract vermin. 
--- End quote ---

Probably sounds a bit odd but I keep mine in the freezer and put it in the bin the night before the collection!

Pendragon:
Yep your right Paddy......that is a bit odd  :o ........ _))* ...... WWW

Trojan:

--- Quote from: Pendragon on May 04, 2011, 06:37:15 pm ---Yep your right Paddy......that is a bit odd  :o ........ _))* ...... WWW

--- End quote ---

The vermin go crazy trying to get into Paddy's fridge.  :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version