Author Topic: Vanished Cafes & Restaurants of Llandudno  (Read 46121 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Vanished Cafes & Restaurants of Llandudno
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »
The Avondale is now Pebble chip shop:

[smg id=1132]

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:57 pm »
Iremember as a teenager going to a cafe in Upper vMostyn st and playing pool ,im sure it was called Syd;s and was in the Home cookin building.

Offline plas penmon

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:35 am »
The Venezia Coffee Bar in 1970. 33 Mostyn Street is now The Bargain Centre. When did the Venezia close?
[smg id=1141]
Peter Oliver bought the Venezia in 1971. The Olivers ran the Venezia for another year. In 1972 it changed to the Skyliner Steak Restaurant. In 1974 it then changed to The Golden Egg. In 1976 the Golden Egg was sold to the current owners who ran the restaurant for another year before turning it into what it is now The Bargain Centre. Who remembers any of that?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:03:50 pm by DaveR »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2012, 11:47:16 am »
hmm.... latest and gayest   :-X
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2012, 01:05:31 pm »
Peter Oliver bought the Venezia in 1971. The Olivers ran the Venezia for another year. In 1972 it changed to the Skyliner Steak Restaurant. In 1974 it then changed to The Golden Egg. In 1976 the Golden Egg was sold to the current owners who ran the restaurant for another year before turning it into what it is now The Bargain Centre. Who remembers any of that?
Thanks for the information and welcome to the Forum. Please feel free to share any other bits of info/memories you might have.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 04:59:06 pm »
I have moved all the Wavecrest Hotel related information over to the Hotels thread, which is here:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,403.msg41347.html#msg41347

Offline Suey

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2012, 11:51:31 pm »
Re Sumners -  Richard Bleakley now lives in the Gannock Park area of Deganwy. I beleive he has retired.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2012, 05:00:27 pm »
Certainly remember the King's Cafe  with affection. I was given a sixpenny bit - fourpence for admission to the Saturday morning pictures at the Odeon, then straight across the road afterwards for a twopenny jam tart from King's Cafe.

The Lilac Cafe was run by Trevor Pritchard's (Maesdu Road new houses - on the corner nearly opposite the big gas holder next to Gerald Parry) Uncle from Deganwy (does my memory say Ted?). Trevor was a slightly removed member of the Celestial City mob :votive: and grew up to be a tiler with... (God my memory is groaning!) the big roofing firm in Conwy.

:votive: Terry Donovan, June Ellis, Merion Evans, Ken Evans, Keith Evans, Arfon ?, Ellis Atherton, Ronnie Atherton, George Owen, Ernie Owen, Joan Roberts, Isobel Roberts, Coxy, Ken Ryan, Kathleen Ryan, Michael Kirkham, Sheila Kirkham, Keith Rawlings, Sheila Hughes, Ronnie Hughes, Jeff Berrington, Joyce Berrington, Emrys Brownson, Carl Brownson, Dorothy Brownson, Joyce Leslie, Carol Leslie, Mike Venables, Sue Venables. And on the Main Road with Trevor (slightly removed): Denise Jones, Stan Dickens, Roger Ellis, John Thomas. My apologies as I know I've missed some out - lost in the fog of age.  :Sisyphus: 
Micox

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2012, 05:05:36 pm »
Trevor was a slightly removed member of the Celestial City mob :votive: and grew up to be a tiler with... (God my memory is groaning!) the big roofing firm in Conwy.
Tuxfords?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2012, 06:26:40 pm »
I was looking today at the work going on to prepare the First Floor of the Burtons building for its new use as a Caffe Nero and it occurred to me that its new usage would mark a return to its original catering use as the Swiss Cafe. I'm not sure when the Swiss Cafe closed, but Burtons used the First Floor as additional retail space for many years.

Interior of Swiss Cafe in 1939:
[smg id=789]

Advert from 1941:
[smg id=1128]

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2012, 12:46:00 am »
....and how sad that in all probability everyone of those happy looking young people are now dead.  :(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2012, 11:45:04 am »
but nice to think that here in 2012 we are seeing them and discussing them and sharing them with the world! I hope they would approve

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2012, 04:32:57 pm »
At least one of the people in the photgraph in the Swiss Cafe was alive in 2009. His name is Richard Rowlands and he was born c1909. He was reported to be living in a care home in Colwyn Bay in cAugust 2009.

Richard Rowlands was born in Bangor, worked for WH Smiths and retired to Llandudno in the 1970s.

Helig.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2012, 08:25:34 pm »
Thats a brilliant observation Helig, and welcome to The Forum.

I hope that Mr Rowlands is alive and well, and as happy as he was on that night in 1939.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:38 am »
Thanks, Fester.

Richard Rowlands is the chap standing on the back row, going from left to right, he is fifth from the left. He has a very white shirt and black bow tie.

The chap standing second from the left on the back row is Glyn Goodyer whose celebration party was being held there. He was 21 that day. I think he died about the year 2000.

Helig.