Author Topic: Walking  (Read 849745 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Re: Instructions for various walks
« Reply #1380 on: September 07, 2014, 09:19:14 am »
That's exactly what I've been thinking.  I'd go further by suggesting that if Hugo would be kind enough to furnish maps in jpg form for each walk we can create a new index topic for the walks, where they can be listed in alphabetical order, or geographical order (or both) so folks would have the opportunity of following one of them.

It's built into quite a resource for walkers now, Hugo, and it's a genuinely useful aspect of the entire site.

I've a confession   :-[       I bought a Garmin  GPS  for my birthday in July 2013 and still don't know how to use it so it's stuck in it's box and I'm constantly reminded about it by the "friends" I walk with.    One of these days I'll get round to doing something about it but please don't hold your breath.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Walking
« Reply #1381 on: September 07, 2014, 10:13:26 am »
Okay, Hugo.  There's now an entire board for your walks with three topics.  I suggest we keep all the chat about walking in this topic - the original, and I'll transfer all your maps, instructions, etc. into the topic for the individual walks. Finally, I'll build the index as we go along, so people can find out all the details simply by clicking on the name of the walk.

Thanks for all this:  it's one of the great aspects of the forum.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1382 on: September 07, 2014, 11:21:56 am »
Thanks very much Ian, but I'm afraid that the maps won't be forthcoming for a while at least.   This ITphobia   I have is still ongoing but I'll  try my best.    :)
I hope Fester does the walk and enjoys it like we did and if he feels like it when he gets down from Moel Fenlli, then there is a linear walk from the car park along Offa's Dyke to Moel Famau.  It's only 3 miles there and back and is relatively easy,  I've seen people with push chairs going up there and the views are great.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1383 on: September 07, 2014, 09:24:12 pm »
Thanks Hugo,  I will..... once I figure out how to get to Nefyn, and which way to walk out of it!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

Re: Instructions for various walks
« Reply #1384 on: September 07, 2014, 10:53:38 pm »
Hugo,  can you give me the start point, and a few reference points.... as I am tempted to undertake that walk myself on Monday, but I don't know the places you refer to.   
Where to park, and a route back to the car (involving that pub??)..... would be lovely!

Thanks Hugo,  I will..... once I figure out how to get to Nefyn, and which way to walk out of it!

Sorry Fester but I've misunderstood and given you the wrong route.   I didn't go to a pub in Nefyn so I'm only guessing that you are referring to the pub in Tremeirchion  that was open 24 hours and you served yourself when the owner went to bed.     Z**   Z**
 I'm afraid that that's going to be a secret just in case it reopens again.        ZXZ

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1385 on: September 09, 2014, 12:07:01 am »
Confused by the Nefyn walk, and warned off Llanrwst by Ian today (for traffic reasons).... we set off to Angelsey, to find Newborough.

On arrival in Newborough, there is a fair old trek to get to the beach, and first one must pay £3.00 to drive through the forest park, to eventually get to the beach.  That's fine, because it is beautifully maintained and well worth it.

Clambered over a sand dune, onto the most beautiful, vast beach.... and we set off walking to Llandwydden island, (or something like that)    It looked like a little promontory in the distance, (as the pic below shows), but once on the island, you realise that there is a lot to see.  Lots of relics from the age before Henry VIII ruined the monastaries.   Also, the lighthouse and some lovely yachts moored just off the island.

After a couple of hours on the island, the beach etc,  we went back to the little mobile cafe, parked in the car park, and indulged in fantastic bacon and sausage baps, for only £2.50 each.
Trudging through wet sand for all those miles really takes it out of you.

So, on arrival back in Llandudno, I booked a table in the Cottage Loaf,  I have to say that place is just first class these days.

Another walking destination next Monday for me,  probably Llanrwst for breakfast, and on to Trefriw.

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1386 on: September 09, 2014, 10:42:03 am »
Llanddwyn Island is always a great walk, regardless of the time of year.

For food, I can recommend very highly the Marram Grass Cafe, on the main road out of Newborough heading towards Llanfair PG:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g552029-d2349925-Reviews-The_Marram_Grass_Cafe-Newborough_Island_of_Anglesey_North_Wales_Wales.html

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1387 on: September 09, 2014, 10:46:19 am »
Another walking destination next Monday for me,  probably Llanrwst for breakfast, and on to Trefriw.
The walk round Crafnant? You'll enjoy that one:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1388 on: September 09, 2014, 06:49:11 pm »
Forgot to attach my pathetic iphone pictures from yesterday...
Fester...

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1389 on: September 20, 2014, 09:59:21 am »
       Last Thursday we caught the X5 bus to the turn-off on the A55 to Tal-y Bont/Llandegai and started the walk up the lane by Hendre farm. After a steep pull up the lane through the woods we reached a T-junction where we turned left onto a lane and after a short distance took the footpath sign on the right and joined the North Wales Path. We followed that towards Abergwyngregyn with good views over Anglesey, back towards Penrhyn Castle and down the coast towards the Orme, and then turned right under the pylons and traversed up the steep open hillside up to the top of Cras and then right again up the ridge up to the flat summit of Moel Wnion (580m./ 1940ft) where we stopped to have our butties and enjoy the views up to the higher Carneddau tops, over towards the Glyders and right down to Yr Eifl on the Lleyn . We were surprised as to how dry it was up there and the grass was very brown after the recent prolonged dry spell. From the cairn on the summit we set off S/W down towards Bethesda and descended onto a track which took us down past some Carneddau ponies down to Bryn Hall and then down past the quarry mentioned in the recent Quiz (out of area) and then left following a footpath through the fields into Llanllechid, where we turned right and then left just after the church onto a lovely footpath through the trees following the stream down to another lane where we again turned right onto another lane. After a short time we turned left again (by a footpath sign by a green wheelie bin) and followed another path down to the A5 where we turned right again for about 200m and then went down at the bad L/H bend at a footpath sign at the side of the cottages onto the footbridge over the Afon Ogwen and then followed the yellow footpath signs  through the fields above the river and then over the footbridge back over the Afon Ogwen again  and under the A55 eventually emerging onto the lane which leads from Llandegai to Bangor Rugby Club to catch the X5 back home at the Penrhyn Castle gates. It was the first strenuous test I had undertaken since my hip operation and it was very satisfying to be back in the mountains again!   

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1390 on: September 20, 2014, 10:05:46 am »
               More Moel Wnion walk pics.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1391 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09:30 am »
Well done Gwynant. So pleased you are back in action after your operation. I love the photo with the trees and gravestones.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1392 on: September 20, 2014, 10:11:46 am »
Very good, I love the spooky graveyard pic too!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1393 on: September 20, 2014, 06:01:41 pm »
Great pics and a lovely walk too,  good to see that you're back in the hills again.     $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1394 on: September 25, 2014, 11:31:44 am »
A friend of mine wanted to do a walk that wasn't too strenuous and was no longer than 3 hours, so last Wednesday on a beautiful and warm sunny day we did the Aber Falls walk.     We started from the Forestry car park which is just over the old bridge of Bont Newydd.  It's a handy place to start or finish as they have  toilets there.      From that car park you cross over the river on the wooden bridge and then there is a short but steep walk until you meet the main path to the Falls.   It's a pleasant walk then gradually uphill and going through the Coedydd Nature Reserve  (B)   It wasn't long before we came to the falls (C) or Rhaeadr Fawr to give it it's correct name.  It's a very impressive waterfall with a drop of 115 feet (35m).
We had a look in the pool near it's base and could see a few small Trout darting about amongst the rocks and then we continued along the path passing another waterfall Rhaeadr Bach on our left.   Just past there we stopped to have our refreshments and afterwards followed the North Wales Path uphill and under the pylons.  The views from there are panoramic and well worth the effort required to get there.
We left the path to take a direct but very steep descent into the village of Aber  (A) and we were lucky because the ground was dry but in wet conditions I have seen a few walkers fall on the slippery grass.    When we reached the road we turned right and followed the narrow winding road back to the car park.     It's an easy and very popular walk and took us about two and a half hours to complete but we did have numerous stops on the way.