Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1268927 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #5070 on: July 19, 2015, 06:28:21 pm »
It was just a small cottage but there isn't much left of it now and every time I drive past the ruins seem to get smaller and smaller      $walesflag$      $welsh$

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5071 on: July 19, 2015, 06:46:10 pm »
Hugo,

I know exactly where it is and I too have passed it on numerous occasions.  However, I am unsure of its name but would guess "Caeau" and I have no idea of the story you mention.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5072 on: July 19, 2015, 06:55:45 pm »
A good try Cambrian but it's not Caeau.    If I give too many clues it would make it too easy but she was a generous benefactor to that area and had a number of buildings built in that particular village
I'm still waiting for Steve to come up with this local one or Gwynant to spot any clues Cymraeg.    $walesflag$

It's mentioned in one of Chris Draper's walking books but I haven't done that walk even though it's near where I live.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5073 on: July 19, 2015, 07:45:32 pm »
Ah well, if its not Caeau, it will be Tyn Terfyn I guess.  The clue is "terfyn" as its on the boundary between two old parishes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5074 on: July 19, 2015, 07:59:02 pm »
A   good try Cambrian but it's not correct.    If you are in the right village the clues to Eleanor's old home are in the properties there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5075 on: July 19, 2015, 10:39:30 pm »
Just to identify where this little cottage is,  it's on the B5113  and is located between the two roads.        $walesflag$      $welsh$

Eleanor who came from a very poor family said that if she ever became rich she would build something special for her village. Then  as a young girl she went to work for a rich family in the area and later married one of the sons and returned to the village and kept the promise that she had made to herself.

Does that help to find  the name of the little cottage that she lived in as a child?           $walesflag$ $welsh$

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5076 on: July 19, 2015, 11:32:29 pm »
Its a bit late for this but here are some details I have found....
 I guessed Bryn-y-Maen from your clues and got lucky
Christ Church was built between 1879 and 1899 at the expense of Mrs Eleanor Frost in memory of her late husband Charles Frost. The architects were Douglas and Fordham of Chester in Neo-Perpendicular style. Mrs Frost's commission also included the vicarage and a house for herself.
And with her full name.................

Rhwng-y-Ddwyffordd, a cottage situated between Colwyn Bay and Llanrwst.
When Eleanor was 12 years old she went into service in London (possibly with the Frost family).  James John Frost of Shadwell, London, was associated with a rope and cable manufacturing company, and was of considerable means.  In 1863 Eleanor married Frost’s son Charles.  She was 36 and he 32.  They were married in Llanddulas, but by 1874 they were living in a fine house in Min-y-don, Old Colwyn.

Charles inherited a large fortune on the death of his father.  He and Eleanor travelled extensively in Europe and the Holy Land.  They had no children of their own, but adopted a son and 2 daughters.

Charles Frost purchased a large plot of land at Bryn-y-Maen and in 1895 a mission room was erected on it.  Charles died the following year and was buried at this site.

In 1897, Eleanor Frost laid the foundation stone of Christ Church, which was being built in her husband’s memory.  The Architects were Douglas & Fordham of Chester, and the builder Thomas Jones of Caernarfon.  Eleanor also had built two properties facing the church – a home for herself called Bryn Eglwys, and the Vicarage.

The church was consecrated by the Archbishop of Wales in September 1899, and described by him as ‘The Cathedral of the Hills’.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5077 on: July 20, 2015, 08:11:02 am »
Congratulations Steve, you must have gone to a lot of trouble unearthing that one.    Well done      &well&     

I couldn't give out her married name as it would then have been too easy to Google and secondly I have used this picture before for a different question and DaveR got it then.
Thirdly I had already given out her address, albeit in English and thought that Gwynant would have twigged.

Between the two roads  =    Rhwng y Ddwyffordd       $walesflag$ $welsh$

Eleanor had the Church built in Bryn Y Maen, along with other properties in the village.  Both she and her husband are buried in the graveyard in the village

Online SteveH

« Reply #5078 on: July 20, 2015, 09:21:13 am »
 $thanx$ Hugo,  A good question, lots of detective work............

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5079 on: July 30, 2015, 04:19:56 pm »
I've no idea what this is but where is it in N Wales?          $walesflag$

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5080 on: July 30, 2015, 04:52:02 pm »
      There are some weird stone sculptures beside the cycle path just outside Y Felinheli on the route to  Caernarfon, and also there are some more in the little park below the suspension bridge in Porthaethwy  but I'm not sure if this is one of them.
      By the way Hugo, I must thank you for making me aware of Wepre Park in Connah's Quay on one of your recent walks, Mrs. Gwynant and I had a very enjoyable couple of hours exploring it today.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5081 on: July 30, 2015, 05:09:33 pm »
Thanks Gwynant,  I'm so pleased that you and Mrs G enjoyed your time there.   I loved the place and will go again some time but may do the longer walk next time.   It's also an ideal place for young children with all the things there for them
Did you see the lake and find the pet cemetery?

I think that you have seen this object but it's not where you have mentioned.     ???

Online SteveH

« Reply #5082 on: July 30, 2015, 05:16:48 pm »
Is there a mill nearby...........

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5083 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:43 pm »
          We did a figure-eight walk Hugo, up the main track to the castle then up round the back of the castle and left down over the stream and back to the path intersection by the stone bridge, then back along the main path and then left up the aptly-named "Angina Hill"!   We then crossed the old golf course and turned right down through the woods and around the lake then back down the hill and across the stream again below the waterfall and then back to the car park via the ford. It took a couple of hours but we didn't notice  the pet cemetery.
        You are right about the facilities for the kids, there were loads of them having a great time in the skate-board park by the car park.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5084 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:43 pm »
The Pet Cemetery is on land fenced off and behind the cafe but we went past the giant Redwoods and found a way in at the back of the fenced off bit.       :-[