Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
A cinema-goer was left fuming after being slapped with a parking fine after watching the sequel to Dune at a North Wales Cineworld. The customer, who watched "Dune: Part Two" at the Llandudno Junction branch on Saturday, was fined for parking just over three hours.

This comes after new parking charges were introduced at the cinema's car park, sparking a heated debate. Cineworld has said customers can extend their parking time.

cont https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cinema-customer-fined-after-watching-28879397?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589
Graffiti and litter offenders must clean up in 48 hours under new rules
The Ministry of Justice said new 'rapid deployment teams' will 'swiftly deal with' antisocial behaviour

Offenders will be forced to clean vandalism within 48 hours from the point they're reported to local authorities, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has revealed. It said 'rapid deployment teams' of people serving community sentences will be made to scrub graffiti and litter-pick under plans to 'swiftly deal with' antisocial behaviour.

The rules seek to ensure that offenders 'atone for their crimes in a way that benefits the law-abiding majority' and 'allows the public to see justice being done in their own communities', according to the MoJ. A wider rollout of the scheme across Wales and England comes after a 2023 pilot in Greater Manchester, the East of England, Wales and the North East.

The public has been urged to nominate local projects for offenders to tackle within 48 hours of cases being reported to the council and passed to the Probation Service. The Conservatives and Labour have ramped up their commitments on crime ahead of this year's election, with senior Tories saying emphasis on 'bread and butter' Conservative issues will assist as Sunak seeks to reverse Labour's lead.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/graffiti-and-litter-offenders-must-clean-up-in-48-hours-under-new-rules/
Games, Jokes & Quizzes / Re: Quiz Time!
« Last post by Hugo on March 24, 2024, 10:42:02 pm »
The Daily Mirror did the same with the crosswords but I couldn't always remember them either     ;D
« Last post by SteveH on March 24, 2024, 10:26:50 am »
I did have to search the DP site for the quiz, just rechecked and found this ....

Looks like they are recycling

quiz ...  17:58, 8 MAR 2024   UPDATED16:31, 15 MAR 2024
« Last post by Hugo on March 24, 2024, 10:16:40 am »
Steve,  I seem to remember these questions in a quiz before but I still only got 9 out of 10      :-[
Politics & Current Affairs / Re: Points to Ponder
« Last post by SteveH on March 24, 2024, 10:04:09 am »
The number of people leaving the workforce due to long term sickness is at its highest since the 1990s, a report suggests.

Adults economically inactive due to ill-health rose from 2.1m in July 2019 to a peak of 2.8m in October 2023, said the Resolution Foundation.

It is the "longest sustained rise" since 1994-1998, when records began.

The government said its recent Budget measures are estimated to boost the labour force by 300,000 workers.

The Foundation's report comes after the ONS said more than a fifth of UK adults were not looking for work.

People at either end of the age spectrum had the highest proportion of those out-of-work due to ongoing illness, the Foundation's report said.

"Younger and older people together account for nine-tenths of the rise in overall economic inactivity, which could have serious effects both on individual's living standards and career paths," said Louise Murphy, senior economist at the Foundation.

The rise in long-term sickness leaves the UK as the only G7 economy not to have returned to its pre-pandemic employment rate, according to the Foundation.

However, it did add that inactivity figures fell slightly to 2.7 million in December 2023.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68639144

Hobbies and Interests / Re: MILITARIA
« Last post by SteveH on March 24, 2024, 10:02:00 am »
The Great Escape: Welshman inspired Steve McQueen role

It is the part that cemented Steve McQueen in the pantheon of Hollywood cool.

But how many know the American icon's role as a daredevil POW in the 1963 World War Two film The Great Escape is supposedly based on a Welshman?

Ken Rees, from Anglesey, was the bomber pilot who fought back against his Nazi captors to break free of an infamous Polish prison camp.

That heroic effort celebrates its 80th anniversary this weekend.

Having joined the RAF in 1939 at a tender 18, Flt Lt Rees was shot down over Norway on a secret mine-laying mission three years later.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68625578
« Last post by SteveH on March 24, 2024, 09:54:21 am »
Test your knowledge of the news with our Big Fat Quiz of the Week
Questions cover penalty fares on trains, Welsh language signs, and yet more roadworks

8/10 for me

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/test-your-knowledge-news-big-28785028
Local News & Discussion / Re: CCBC costs and cutting
« Last post by SteveH on March 24, 2024, 09:51:29 am »
Well said, I agree completely with the above comments, especially the waste and misuse of our taxes.
Local News & Discussion / Re: CCBC costs and cutting
« Last post by Hugo on March 23, 2024, 06:15:38 pm »
I'm in the same boat as you Robert,  Band F and rates payable of 307.00 per month but we don't have the luxury of street lights,  road surfaces, pavements or surface water drainage.   Plus half the houses in the road are on septic tanks and the remainder on main drainage
You only have to look at reports on the forum and you can see the costly blunders that CCBC has made and continues to do so
What I don't like is the idea of Wales having a revaluation of the Council Tax bands.   Wales, like Scotland had a revaluation some years ago but England for some reason didn't have one and they certainly won't talk about it in this election year
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10