Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Politics & Current Affairs / Re: Points to Ponder
« Last post by mull on April 08, 2024, 09:16:11 am »
Private owners of Royal Mail took on the job including Service obligation which is important Service has been rubbish ever since , we are lucky if we see a postman 3 times a week at most and RM management think all is OK when it is not.
We still have Special Delivery service which is expensive and is daily by 1700 hours due later arrival of ferries and distances which could be up to 2 hours travel once on the island.

Hope yo have all safely survived Storm Kathleen, been a rough weekend up here and storm went on for nearly 2 days.

Isle of Tiree, 18 miles west of us on the Ross of Mull managed to get a ferry on Saturday. Very impressive ship handling and rope handling by the pier staff.

https://lifeontiree.blog/2024/04/06/when-experience-counts/

Science and Technology / Re: Health
« Last post by Hugo on April 07, 2024, 12:51:03 pm »
When I was first diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes I immediately gave up eating chocolates and cakes which I loved and found it easier than expected.    We sent off for a few books on eating with Diabetes and one, an American one was rubbish and it went in the bin.  The other was helpful and I'm sure that Katie Caldesi's book would be a good help to anyone who has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes,
Walks in North Wales / Re: Walking
« Last post by Hugo on April 07, 2024, 12:25:02 pm »
That's how we always used to go up Snowdon.   We knew of a free parking space in Llanberis and caught the bus up to Pen Y Pass using our OAP bus pass.    No cost whatsoever to us and no inconvenience to any residents in the area
Walks in North Wales / Re: Walking........We try out a park and ride bus
« Last post by SteveH on April 07, 2024, 09:47:23 am »
We try out a park and ride bus to see if it helps avoid Eryri traffic mayhem
Is this an alternative to driving in tourist-clogged national park?

Concerns about over tourism, parking chaos, littering and general friction have blighted the start of the tourist season in parts of Eryri - and the situation will only get more fraught in the coming months.

Daytrippers are urged to use the park and ride buses rather than park illegally but just how viable are they? Aiming to find out if it was a potential answer to avoiding traffic mayhem, I drove to the park and ride car park in Nant Peris (LL55 4UF) near Llanberis.

It's certainly well-signposted with a large "P" and picture of a bus off the A4086. I was surprised at how big the car park was and the toilets are modern and clean. (Inside, there were pictures of a costumed warrior with the anti-litter message suggesting "Legends leave no trace").

I paid ?5 to park for up to eight hours, which gave me more than enough time, and joined the queue for the Number S5 service to Pen-y-Pass.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/try-out-park-ride-bus-28942294?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589
Science and Technology / Re: Health
« Last post by SteveH on April 07, 2024, 09:44:14 am »
Do you have type 2 diabetes? Here's how you should be eating

Cookbook author and restaurateur Katie Caldesi's husband Giancarlo was diagnosed over 10 years ago, she shares her secret to eating well

A cookbook author and restaurateur has shared the secret to eating well with type 2 diabetes, and a low-carb diet seems to be the way forward. When Katie Caldesi's husband, Giancarlo, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes more than a decade ago, they 'didn't take it seriously' at first.

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/do-you-have-type-2-diabetes-heres-how-you-should-be-eating/
Times Past / Re: Welsh History ....'Lady of the Little Orme' at Llandudno Museum
« Last post by SteveH on April 07, 2024, 09:38:38 am »
How hard working 'Lady of the Little Orme' was years ahead of her time
Skeletal remains dating from 3,500BC and found in crevice by 19th Century engineer can still teach us lessons today

Researchers have found a Neolithic woman who more than pulled her weight with heavy lifting as long ago as 3,500BC. Her remains, which were discovered in a crevice on Llandudno's Little Orme in the 19th Century, shed light on women's emancipation as long ago as the Stone Age.

Scores of history buffs will be able to learn all about this Lady of the Little Orme at Llandudno Museum https://llandudnomuseum.co.uk/
this year. Her remaining bones are among an astonishing 9,000 artefacts at the centre, although there isn't room for all of them to be on display.

cont/photo https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/how-hard-working-lady-little-28925445?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589
Games, Jokes & Quizzes / Re: Quiz Time!
« Last post by Hammy on April 06, 2024, 05:35:51 pm »
9 out of 10 this week, better set of guesses!
Politics & Current Affairs / Re: Points to Ponder
« Last post by Hugo on April 06, 2024, 02:47:21 pm »
It seems that the Royal Mail may be doing away with the second class letter delivery but could be reintroducing it under their second option
The second option was to extend the delivery times for letters, so it would take three or more days for most letters but with a pricier next-day delivery service available.
I wonder if that next day delivery would apply to the Scottish Islands?      You know how reliable  the ferries are like Mull and Storms like Storm Kathleen are getting more and more frequent
Games, Jokes & Quizzes / Re: Quiz Time!
« Last post by Hugo on April 06, 2024, 02:29:52 pm »
I got 8 out of 10 this week with a couple of good guesses
Local News & Discussion / Re: The UK's fraud epidemic.
« Last post by Meleri on April 06, 2024, 02:14:51 pm »
I haven't heard of that before Ian, so thanks for letting me know very much appreciated.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]