Author Topic: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno  (Read 130555 times)

Waffagolf

Re: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2011, 11:32:56 pm »
It's wonderful that all those things still exist at the Grand Theatre. Fantastic pictures, quite wonderful. How sad they are out of sight though. A well known comedian once told me I should go into the Grand Theatre (in the days when it had been closed for years and was decaying) and do two things, stand on the stage with the old footlights on, and sit in the stalls. Each time feeling the theatre atmosphere.

One day I got the chance to do just that. There were only two of us in the building. I walked onto the stage in picth darkness, followed by the sound of the clunk, clunk, clunk of the footlights being switched on. It was Magical, what a feeling. The theatre spoke to me. I know it sounds daft, but it really did. I could feel the Music Hall, the wonderful acts that had trodden the boards there, they were in the walls. It was a feeling like no other and one I'll never forget. The same thing happened as I sat in the stalls.

The person who showed me around suggested I went up into the Gods for another experience, which I duly did. On reaching the Gods, this guy was on the stage looking up at me, and in almost a whisper asked, "well ***, what do you think". I could hear his every word, right up in the Gods. The accoustics were / are incredible WOW!!!

I had the whole tour, even to under the stage with the coffin. It was one of those unforgettable moments...

Here's an old programme from the theatre

Waffagolf

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:04 pm »
Heres the next few pages

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2011, 08:19:20 pm »
A contract for comedian Richard 'Stinker' Murdoch to appear at the Pier Pavilion, Llandudno, on April 4th 1947 at 7.45pm 'for not less than 20 minutes'. He received 75 Guineas as payment.

[smg id=2472]
(Click to view full size)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Murdoch

Offline Trojan

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2011, 09:59:44 am »
A view of the Happy Valley Theatre.....1920's?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2011, 10:09:32 am »
A view of the Happy Valley Theatre.....1920's?
I would say so. It shows the original Happy Valley Theatre (destroyed by fire in 1933) and you can see that the rock gardens at upper left had not yet been fully constructed.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2011, 10:06:47 pm »
Some more photos of Alex Munro from the Archives...

Alex Munro in front of the Grand Theatre (now Broadway Boulevard):
[smg id=2602]

Alex on stage at Happy Valley:
[smg id=2600]

Alex dishes out the prizes at a talent competition...lemons again!
[smg id=2601]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2011, 10:41:53 pm »
I've been nosing lately at the archives of the North Wales Chronicle (available online for a small fee) and thought I'd do a bit of research into the Pier Pavilion's construction.

Early view of Pavilion:
[smg id=539]

Interior of Pavilion:
[smg id=2596]

We tend to look back on these sort of construction projects as an example of 'how it should be done these days' but, in the case of the Pavilion, its design and construction was an ongoing saga that gripped the town of Llandudno and was little sort of a disaster that nearly bankrupted the Llandudno Pier Company.

Work started in 1882 and included the building of what became known as the 'pier extension' - the section between the present promenade and the Happy Valley Valley road entrance. The total cost of the scheme was £10,000. Work was supposed to be completed by the 15th June 1883 in order for a grand opening in July but it never happened. Problems with the design and several sets of contractors abandoning the project due to its complexity meant that work was still progressing in January 1884 under the direct control of the Pier Company. After two years, the only part of the building to be open was the Reading Room (which was 'comfortably warmed' and with 'splendid views of the bay').

Gales had been hampering construction work for several days when, on Saturday 26th January 1884 at about 3pm (not during the night of January 25th, as was commonly thought), what was described as a 'hurricane' from the South-West caused the glass roof of the Pavilion to collapse, the section nearest the sea being first to give away, with workmen running for their lives as several further sections collapsed and glass panels shattered. Some large iron girders narrowly missed the fleeing workmen as they fell. Falling debris also damaged the side of the neighbouring Baths Hotel and glass covered Happy Valley Road.

Pier Pavilion after storm damage:
[smg id=541]

This was the last thing the Pier Company needed, the Pavilion project was running both over time and budget already. The Company's AGM took place in early February and it was announced that the architects and builders were were dismissed, to be replaced by Messrs Holmes & Vawdry of Liverpool (architects) and Mr Handysides of Derby (builders). Mr Vawdry surveyed the damage and declared that 'whoever had designed the upper part of the building had no experience/knowledge of what was required to make it fit for purpose'.  The redesign and repairs to the Pavilion roof were to cost £1500, with the idea of a glass roof being scrapped and a sturdy zinc one installed instead.  This sum, together with existing cost overruns, called into question the very future of the Pier Company, it was said that £11,000 being needed to stave off the  financial problems and the suggestion being made that the Pier Company should be 'wound up'. Fortunately, the largest shareholders all chipped in to save the day. The Directors did declare themselves pleased with the one area of the Pavilion that had opened to the Public - the sea water swimming baths in the basement - which had taken £25 8s 1d in the two weeks at the end of the 1883 season that it had been open!

The Pavilion eventually opened for business in September 1884 and was an immediate success. Besides the orchestral and vocal performances in the theatre, the Egyptian Hall Annexe also housed a Mr Reddish, a man who could remain underwater in a tank for nearly 4 minutes and was capable of 'eating and reading a newspaper underwater'!

To try and recoup some of their losses, the Pier Company's Directors decided to try and keep it open all year round, and installed a reading room and games such as chess, lawn tennis etc. A programme of regular concerts, featuring guest vocalists, was also arranged. The aim was to make it a 'home of amusements' in the Winter.

It took until 1888 for the Pier Company to get back onto a stable financial footing, with the directors admitting at the AGM that only the barest minimum of maintenance to the Pier had been carried out in the previous few years, with no money even being available for it to be painted. Some  things never change, eh?

Exterior - Seaward side - Pier Pavilion:
[smg id=2598]

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:07:34 am by DaveR »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2011, 11:23:36 pm »
 *&( very interesting article!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2011, 11:34:07 pm »
Great article Dave.
I can't get enough of pictures and information about the Pier Pavilion.
To see it resplendent and new on that very first picture is very poignant.

When it comes to the Pier Extension, I wonder, is it because of this 'project complexity' that the decking where the new part joins the original pier (at Happy Valley Gates) is not at the same level?
It slopes away toward the sea on the extension side,  and it seems to have been forced or contrived to join at an imperfect level.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2011, 07:34:34 pm »
The following is an excerpt from a letter published in the North Wales Chronicle in February 1887, written by a Dr Nichol who was chairman of the Llandudno Pier Company. It illustrates the hostility and deep distrust that existed between the Company and the Llandudno Improvement Commisioners.

[smg id=2605]
(Click to view full size)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »
I see in the NWWN that a new book about Llandudno's lost theatres has just been published, looks pretty good.

'Loves Lost In Llandudno' is available from Venue Cymru and Lewis' Bookshop in Madoc Street.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2011, 10:03:09 pm »
Postcard showing the newly completed Pier Pavilion Theatre. Click to view full size, it all looks very pristine and new!

[smg id=2615]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2012, 06:53:02 pm »
I see in the NWWN that a new book about Llandudno's lost theatres has just been published, looks pretty good.

'Loves Lost In Llandudno' is available from Venue Cymru and Lewis' Bookshop in Madoc Street.
I bought this book from Lewis' bookshop today. Its a 104 page large format paperback for £10 and is well worth the money. Quite a few previously unseen photos, including a 1970s shot of the interior of the Pier Pavilion and a rare interior view of the St Georges hall (now HMV). It's a must buy for anyone interested in the town's history.

Even my Alex Munro numbered programme made an appearance on page 84:

[smg id=465]

It appeared in the book courtesy of someone called John Lawson-Reay. Bit odd, as I own the only original copy with that particular 7181 number..but there you go!  :-X  :roll:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »
Easter attractions at the Pier Pavilion in 1954:

[smg id=2624]

[smg id=2623]

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2012, 12:27:46 pm »
That theatre book needed a good editor.  many spelling mistakes peir warshies etc. etc.