Author Topic: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno  (Read 130788 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2011, 09:50:42 pm »
Alex Munro (right) and the 'Mad Musician' Billy Crockett pose for a promotional shot in the foyer of the Grand Theatre, Llandudno, sometime in the 1970s:

[smg id=2400]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:39:50 am by DaveR »

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2011, 10:16:14 pm »
I remember Billy playing lots of different instruments, brilliant

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »
Alex Munro and John Creese-Parsons outside the Grand Theatre one Christmas in the late 1970s. Mr. Creese-Parsons was the owner of the Grand Theatre at that time.

[smg id=2426]

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2011, 10:35:47 pm »
With the Royal Wedding fast approaching (yawn!) it brings back memories of the last time I went to Happy Valley to see the Alex Munro Show. My brother & all his friends had no interest in the wedding of Charles & Diana so they decided to have a Not The Royal Wedding get together & actually persuaded Alex to let my cousin's rock group set up at his show & play a gig after his normal show had ended. They were called Fear Of Flying & had quite a lot of gear which took up most of the stage much to Alex's surprise. The word was passed around and the audience was one of the largest he'd had for a few years made up of a lot of youths dressed in denim & leather with a sprinkling of the 'blue rinse brigade' for good measure. He took it in good humour even when Paddy McDermott got up on stage in his talent contest & proceeded to smash up a guitar as part of his act! As everyone was a 'local' we all knew Alex well so gave him a great reception for his show which seemed to put a bit of a twinkle in his eye & the high kicking Stan Ryder also went down a storm. Even the weather was good & a great day was had by all.
I hope I haven't bored anyone but it's my biggest memory of Alex Munro when I was a youngster.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Trojan

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2011, 10:41:22 pm »
I hope I haven't bored anyone but it's my biggest memory of Alex Munro when I was a youngster.

No, not at all......great memories!  :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2011, 09:39:32 pm »
This is the Running Order sheet for the final ever Summer Show back at the Pier Pavilion Theatre in 1984. Next to each act is written in pencil the name of the backdrop to be used, so I assume this piece of paper used to be pinned up somewhere backstage. I found it whilst exploring the derelict Pier Pavilion a couple of years before it was destroyed by fire:

[smg id=2445]
(Click image to view full size)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2011, 09:52:28 pm »
1979 saw Bobby Crush headlining at the Pier Pavilion.

[smg id=2448]
(Click image to see full size)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2011, 10:07:31 pm »
You can still book your seats for Alex Munro's Music Hall with 'full star company'.

[smg id=2451]
(Click image to view full size)

Waffagolf

« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2011, 10:21:03 pm »
Alex used to have sheet music for a song all about Llandudno called "Lovely, Lively Llandudno". Does anyone know where I might obtain a copy? I've only ever seen one copy.

Waffagolf

« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2011, 10:29:30 pm »
The Happy Valley Entertainers before Alex

Waffagolf

« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2011, 10:33:11 pm »
The Grand Theatre before the revamp by Jeff Dukenfield

Waffagolf

« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2011, 10:35:54 pm »
In the picture above is Jeff Dukenfield former owner of the Grand Theatre, along with Comedian Peter Goodwright, Welsh Singer Tammy Jones, Clive Stock, Ian Turner and the cast of the Arcadia Theatre Summer show of that season.

Waffagolf

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2011, 10:38:18 pm »
As far as I'm aware, the fire curtain that Peter Goodwright is standing in front of on the Grand Theatre stage, is still there fully intact (I'd like to think it is anyway). This next picture is of Peter with Tammy Jones and Arcadia Theatre cast in one of the Grand Theatres boxes.

Waffagolf

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2011, 10:48:21 pm »
Here is a copy of the Official Opening Gala Night invitation of the Grand Theatre under it's then new name 'Revivals' (I was never keen on that name).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2011, 10:58:11 pm »
Some fantastic photos, Waffagolf, thanks for sharing. The Fire Curtain at the Grand is still intact, I went round all the surviving bits of the theatre last year - the photos of my visit are all here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davellandudno/sets/72157623521219490/

Back of the Fire Curtain as it is now, seen from across the Fly Tower:

Grand Theatre Tour - Llandudno by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr