Author Topic: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno  (Read 131055 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Alex Munro & Live Entertainment in Llandudno
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2014, 06:47:57 pm »
DaveR, Llandudno Musical Productions put on a show at the bandstand on a Sunday afternoon as well as in the Town Hall on a Tuesday evening.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2014, 07:04:46 pm »
Cannot dispute the viability of the bandstand, much easier access etc. and why not, but , that does not help the Happy Valley situation, in the meantime all we can do is explore all the possabilities

craigollerton

« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2014, 07:10:35 pm »
Cannot dispute the viability of the bandstand, much easier access etc. and why not, but , that does not help the Happy Valley situation, in the meantime all we can do is explore all the possabilities

Have you tried accessing the Minack Theatre Steve? go there one day, only then will you know what I mean. Hardly a stroll in the Park to get there yet the flocks come. From the photos I've seen of 'Aberdeen Hill' that didn't put people going up there. All this negativity.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2014, 02:19:55 pm »
DaveR, Llandudno Musical Productions put on a show at the bandstand on a Sunday afternoon as well as in the Town Hall on a Tuesday evening.
Thing is, Bri, I've never seen any Bandstand Shows mentioned anywhere on a poster? How will these Shows get a decent audience if people don't know about them?

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2014, 09:55:55 am »
I know the Porthcurno area very well and access to the Minack is good .
There is plenty of parking, tarmac area for visitors during the day and extra parking for performances in the evening and matinaes.
Any attracation of this sort needs easy access.
Can anyone come up with how this could be achieved in the Happy Valley area.
How about demolshing the Grand Hotel and make use of the Pier Pavillion site for this purpose.
Visitors travel 30/50 to attend perfomances at the Minack and would not come if parking was not available on the site, this would be no different if you tried to operate a similar theartre in Llandudno.

craigollerton

« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2014, 12:09:12 pm »
I know the Porthcurno area very well and access to the Minack is good .
There is plenty of parking, tarmac area for visitors during the day and extra parking for performances in the evening and matinaes.
Any attracation of this sort needs easy access.
Can anyone come up with how this could be achieved in the Happy Valley area.
How about demolshing the Grand Hotel and make use of the Pier Pavillion site for this purpose.
Visitors travel 30/50 to attend perfomances at the Minack and would not come if parking was not available on the site, this would be no different if you tried to operate a similar theartre in Llandudno.

Of course people would come, parking isn't in issue. You only have to look historically at the site in use, it never prevented people in the past, and it wouldn't prevent people now. If your in the town on holiday parked up with your hotel, and your capable of walking the full length of the prom, or even negating the Great Orme (as most visitors do), then walking up to Happy Valley to see a performance isn't an issue here. Yes people tend to go out their way to get to the Minack, but the issue isn't quite the same here. There is already sufficient access for minibuses/taxi's, and a footpath along the Colonnade.

I'm not quite sure where the idea came from about demolishing the Grand Hotel. That isn't going to happen, nor would I support the idea. It part of the scene and that classic image you see time and time again when looking over towards the Orme and Pier. Could you really imagine Llandudno without it?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2014, 12:38:43 pm »
Just needs a very long stair lift up to Happy Valley, Thora Hird may be able to help!  :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

craigollerton

« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2014, 01:03:31 pm »
Your legs that bad Merddin?

_))*

Offline SteveH

« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2014, 02:03:57 pm »
I think we could go round and round this issue, but looking back, both the Minack and Happy Valley had two determined characters, responsible for their success, and the more I think about this, I feel that we need the same,somebody willing to take on H.V.   a manager who could run the site, both the gardens and the entertainment and make it a viable proposition,  or find another "ALEX"

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2014, 02:07:38 pm »
Regarding Alex Munro, about whom I know absolutely nothing. 
I have been reliably informed that some chap called Rockford has all the files.  Apparently in the past generally referred to as The Rockford Files!  However, I am also further informed by the media, that the said Rockford passed away a short time ago and the files went with him, as did his Oscars, and other personal effects.
Hope this helps.
 _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

craigollerton

« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2014, 02:21:59 pm »
I think we could go round and round this issue, but looking back, both the Minack and Happy Valley had two determined characters, responsible for their success, and the more I think about this, I feel that we need the same,somebody willing to take on H.V.   a manager who could run the site, both the gardens and the entertainment and make it a viable proposition,  or find another "ALEX"

I doubt we could find a replacement for Alex, however I like your suggestion for management of the Happy Valley site as a whole, I am sure there is scope to develop the area further. It is a shame there isn't something like a butterfly jungle up there in the middle of the gardens, or a large hot house with tropical plants, terrapins and Koi Carp which people I am sure would pay to go in and see, I visited a place like that once somewhere not so long ago, but can't think where now. It all sounds rather imaginative I know, but i'm a visionary.

craigollerton

« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2014, 02:23:33 pm »
Regarding Alex Munro, about whom I know absolutely nothing. 
I have been reliably informed that some chap called Rockford has all the files.  Apparently in the past generally referred to as The Rockford Files!  However, I am also further informed by the media, that the said Rockford passed away a short time ago and the files went with him, as did his Oscars, and other personal effects.
Hope this helps.
 _))*

Rockford Files? must be before my time? &shake& never heard of it lol.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2014, 02:38:43 pm »
Nothing wrong with vision, and I like your ideas, and I am sure there are many more inexpensive ideas that a manager could build on....     now all we need is someone in the council with a bit of this elusive vision .

craigollerton

« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2014, 02:39:51 pm »
Nothing wrong with vision, and I like your ideas, and I am sure there are many more inexpensive ideas that a manager could build on....     now all we need is someone in the council with a bit of this elusive vision .

$good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2014, 04:25:51 pm »
Craig, was there not a Butterfly Jungle in the gardens at Bodlondeb?  Don't know if it is still there.  ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero