Author Topic: Football  (Read 230226 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Football
« Reply #525 on: February 06, 2020, 07:41:54 am »

Offline Bri Roberts

RIP - Harry Gregg
« Reply #526 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:40 am »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #527 on: February 18, 2020, 03:35:41 pm »
There are two very interesting articles in the Daily Mirror today about Harry and one goes on to say that when Harry moved from Doncaster Rovers to United in 1957 it was the largest fee ever paid for a goalkeeper and Harry received a signing on bonus of £30.00

I was lucky enough to see him playing for Man Utd many times but only in the post Munich period.  As I've said before I have a photo of some of the Utd players when they stayed at The Towers Hotel in Trinity Square and can remember that Tommy Taylor was on it but can't remember if Harry was on it too.
I'm still looking for that photo but will post it if I ever find it again

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #528 on: February 18, 2020, 06:31:07 pm »
I remember going home from JBGS on a bus in 1963 and seeing the Man Utd players on Maesdu golf course so I got off with another two lads to get their autographs which I still have today on a page from my school exercise book.

I got most of them in the changing rooms until Bobby Charlton quite rightly asked me to leave.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #529 on: March 17, 2020, 01:34:25 pm »
Euro 2020 has been postponed by one year until 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic, says the Norwegian FA.

Uefa, European football's governing body, has been holding an emergency video conference involving major stakeholders on Tuesday.

The Norwegian FA says it was decided that the tournament will now take place from 11 June to 11 July next year.

BBC Sport understands the decision will be signed off by Uefa later on Tuesday.    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51909518

Offline Hugo

« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2020, 12:28:08 pm »
Premier League teams have promised to finish the season no matter how long it takes, even if those matches have to be played behind closed doors.
Apparently the £3 billion TV contract is pushing the Premier League to get games back on again
Thank goodness for that as we  ( LFC ) have waited 30 years already so 30 days or so won't matter now.

On a lighter note I read in the Daily Mirror today about Mason Mount the Chelsea player who failed to self isolate when told by the club to do it .  It went on to say that players of a previous generation wouldn't have self isolated and came up with this quote
" In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol "  George Best once said  "  It was the worst 20 minutes of my life"       

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #531 on: March 20, 2020, 09:17:27 pm »
This evening, I paused my Sky Sports subscription until live sport resumes.

To be fair, Sky have made it very easy to do.

I hope BT soon make a similar arrangement.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #532 on: March 20, 2020, 10:51:50 pm »
We shouldn't have to get in touch with them Bri they should automatically cacel it till its back on.

Offline hollins

« Reply #533 on: March 21, 2020, 08:00:40 pm »
That was a good tip, thanks Bri. Not like Sky to give you anything back. Please let us know if BT do the same.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #534 on: March 22, 2020, 07:48:17 am »
Will do.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #535 on: March 28, 2020, 11:21:00 am »

Offline hollins

« Reply #536 on: March 28, 2020, 04:02:00 pm »
Thanks again. The donation idea a good one.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #537 on: April 18, 2020, 02:34:54 pm »
The Premier League may restart on the 8th June 2020 with the games behind closed doors because of the Coronavirus outbreak.
It'll be good to see the matches again

Liverpool FC      Champions elect  and if the club plays their anthem " You'll never walk alone" it will be a fitting tribute to everyone

Offline mull

« Reply #538 on: April 19, 2020, 10:34:32 am »
The seasons over ------ Finished.

How can you play football and maintain social distancing. Not just the players but managers/physios/ ambulance crews.

Oh dear Liverpool missed out again.  Try again next year.  COYB.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #539 on: April 19, 2020, 11:03:31 am »
The seasons over ------ Finished.

How can you play football and maintain social distancing. Not just the players but managers/physios/ ambulance crews.

Oh dear Liverpool missed out again.  Try again next year.  COYB.

Don't say that Mull, it's been a long 30 years since we last won the title and we only need 6 more points to make it certain       :(
Money talks and unless they play the matches they may have to pay back many hundreds of millions back to Sky and other TV companies
They could blast out " You'll never walk alone"  to give the game its atmosphere, but one thing to be serious about is that all players  should be Coronavirus tested just before the start of the game.          All that hugging and kissing yuck! should be banned