Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358091 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #525 on: February 12, 2017, 05:13:39 pm »
Yesterday I was returning home on the A470 from Betws Y Coed  in a line of traffic and twice I was overtaken by cars who had overtaken 2 or three cars behind me and then they pulled up in front of me braking hard and causing me to do the same.
Luckily I had left sufficient room and no accident was caused.
Within minutes they were off again doing the same thing and not indicating while overtaking either.
I've got a dashcam on the car I was driving which is handy in case I need evidence  but my language on it would be unprintable.      :-[

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #526 on: February 13, 2017, 04:31:50 pm »
Car's front end split in two by lamp post in Llandudno crash
The vehicle, driven by an elderly man, smashed into a lamp post close to Asda in Mostyn Broadway this afternoon.
The front of the car was severely damaged in the accident.
The driver, an elderly man, was given a check up but did not require hospital treatment.

Video
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-asda-crash-car-bonnet-12598429

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #527 on: February 14, 2017, 03:20:28 pm »
Quite impressed by the strength of the lamp post, I often thought they looked a little flimsy
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #528 on: February 14, 2017, 04:16:14 pm »
Quite impressed by the strength of the lamp post, I often thought they looked a little flimsy

I thought the same myself, considering it was a BMW, also it must have been moving fast and that area is quite built up?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #529 on: February 14, 2017, 04:56:14 pm »
It was luck no one was passing by as there would have been a serious injury there.     I've seen damage to railings and lamp posts caused by other drivers and wondered who pays for that damage.
Would Asda make a claim through that driver's insurance policy?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #530 on: February 14, 2017, 08:38:54 pm »
It's still baffeling me how it got there ,that is not a lamppost it is the camera post ,the great daily post reporting it was on the main road oops .

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #531 on: February 14, 2017, 09:44:13 pm »

I thought the same myself, considering it was a BMW, also it must have been moving fast and that area is quite built up?

Modern cars are very 'soft' at the front and designed to just collapse in a collision so if a person is hit by the vehicle they have a better chance of survival.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #532 on: March 01, 2017, 11:55:36 am »
It's a step in the right direction but it should be similar to those people caught drink driving and anyone using a hand held mobile phone while driving should be banned automatically.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39118523

Offline Hugo

« Reply #533 on: March 05, 2017, 01:04:15 pm »
Just as well that I didn't go to the steam railway gala in Llangollen as I would have gone that way to get there.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-snow-hits-wrexham-denbighshire-12694228

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #534 on: March 05, 2017, 04:55:57 pm »
The family arrived for the day and said that they had been in 2 minds about carrying on the snow was so heavy.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #535 on: March 06, 2017, 08:56:20 am »
It took 4 1/2 hours to make the return journey as they hit rain, snow and standing traffic on the M60. Not to be recommended with a 4 year old !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #536 on: March 06, 2017, 09:09:57 am »
That's a scary journey Nemesis but at least they all got home safe and sound in the end.    $good$

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #537 on: March 07, 2017, 09:18:57 am »
Although I have done quite a few miles in the north recently, it's not often that I venture south of the West Midlands, but went I drove to 'sarff' London last week and was shocked at the state of the roads in the south. You had to actively dodge the potholes (a dangerous enough action in itself) to avoid buckling a rim (or braking an alloy) and these were not confined to 'B' roads, 'A' roads and motorway surfaces were awful in some places with large holes right on the driving line. They would be killers for motor-cyclists, I was glad my biking days are over. One particular hole on a right hand bend just outside Hatfield right in the nearside tyre line could have taken a standard sized bucket.

I'm glad to say that the roads in the north are just one of the multitude of things that are better than the south...
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #538 on: March 08, 2017, 08:22:28 pm »
Helmet cam captures van hitting motor biker.     With the standard of driving nowadays a camera can capture an accident and prove who was at fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-39203190

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #539 on: March 09, 2017, 08:20:17 am »
There was a collision yesterday between a child cyclist and a minibus on the road between Trefriw and Crafnant. The child had to be airlifted to Liverpool.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.