Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358385 times)

Offline cygnusx-1

Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #496 on: January 08, 2017, 08:49:45 pm »
Well the other 2 cars are up to the white line in their spaces so the lady may have been blocked on both sides if cars in the next spaces parked to the white line.
Personally....I would have gone further away and walked a few yards.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #497 on: January 08, 2017, 09:24:09 pm »
Well the other 2 cars are up to the white line in their spaces so the lady may have been blocked on both sides if cars in the next spaces parked to the white line.
Personally....I would have gone further away and walked a few yards.

Lady??? Where does it state it was a lady Mr Misogynist?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: January 09, 2017, 08:45:22 am »
Parking spaces in the UK are notoriously undersized, both for the increasing size of cars and the general level of driver competence. We always park well away from other cars and walk to the shop. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #499 on: January 09, 2017, 09:14:50 am »
You are bang on with the undersizied car parking spaces Ian and the Morrison Car Park in Colwyn Bay is notorious for that.    One woman driver (sorry SDQ)   did £300.00 worth of damage to my car  when she drove in to the parking space next to mine.    Then she drove off without leaving her details.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #500 on: January 09, 2017, 11:37:13 am »
Thought someone would fall for my error.......restores my faith in human nature  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #501 on: January 09, 2017, 04:51:16 pm »
Put " Car tax checker" into Google then go into the  DVLA site that appears.    If you put the registration number and make in, it will give you the info.

The DVLA has a new systen called Beta which is unfortunate as it is much worse than the previous system, if I can't find the vehicle there I use another website

Just as a matter of curiosity I asked the DVLA about a car that was not on their data base but appeared on Halford's data base and this is the reply I got:-

"I am sorry, we are unable to confirm whether a vehicle is still in existence or not.

If you would like to find out this information you would need to do a 'car history check' this would be through a third party company, you can find more information online."

Since the car tax discs have been abolished just how many cars are being driven that are untaxed?      If the DVLA doesn't know about the vehicle then who does.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:22:40 pm by Ian »

Offline Dave

« Reply #502 on: January 09, 2017, 06:09:07 pm »
Put " Car tax checker" into Google then go into the  DVLA site that appears.    If you put the registration number and make in, it will give you the info.

The DVLA has a new systen called Beta which is unfortunate as it is much worse than the previous system, if I can't find the vehicle there I use another website

Just as a matter of curiosity I asked the DVLA about a car that was not on their data base but appeared on Halford's data base and this is the reply I got:-

"I am sorry, we are unable to confirm whether a vehicle is still in existence or not.

If you would like to find out this information you would need to do a 'car history check' this would be through a third party company, you can find more information online."

Since the car tax discs have been abolished just how many cars are being driven that are untaxed?      If the DVLA doesn't know about the vehicle then who does.

You have to have the vehicle make as well as registration to do the check. You can't just put a number in for some reason.
If it's on Halford's database is it a recent visit or going back some time? If the car had transferred the number plate that might be a reason for you not finding it.
I put in a car make and reg on one that I had up to 1987. According to the DVLA it was last taxed up to some date in 1999 which would assume it was scrapped then.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:23:16 pm by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #503 on: January 09, 2017, 06:23:51 pm »
Possibly to do with Data protection.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #504 on: January 09, 2017, 10:24:01 pm »
I've put the reg, make and model in and found it on their records but to find out if it is taxed or MOT'd  I would have to pay a fee and I'm not prepared to do that.
That info should be held by the DVLA anyway and not by a private firm.

I think that the DVLA's action in abolishing road tax discs has been false economy and it has backfired on them and now there are many motorists driving around without tax or insurance.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #505 on: January 10, 2017, 11:16:20 am »
I put in a car make and reg on one that I had up to 1987. According to the DVLA it was last taxed up to some date in 1999 which would assume it was scrapped then.

Dave,  I scrapped my car about two years ago and the scrap yard has to notify the DVLA when the car is scrapped and that way the DVLA has a full history of the vehicle.
The new data base that the DVLA has is called BETA and it's worse than the one before.   I have checked for an untaxed vehicle before and there is no trace of that vehicle on the new system even though that vehicle can be seen on the road quite often.

My curiosity in this case is only because I saw Police Traffic Officers on TV and wasn't impressed with their questioning when they stopped a motorist who had committed a road traffic offence.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #506 on: January 10, 2017, 02:21:19 pm »
The new data base that the DVLA has is called BETA and it's worse than the one before.

BETA is usually just a term used for computing applications that are still in a testing phase. They reckon they are good enough to be used but may have some errors that need to be corrected further down the line. If you have come across any issues you should let them know in the hope they can be corrected in the final (release) version. (An ALPHA release is usually so bug ridden it is only used and tested internally)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #507 on: January 10, 2017, 04:52:49 pm »
Thanks for that info OrmeMac and I have given the DVLA some feedback on their system.     :-[

It'll be interesting to see whether there will be any improvement in the system, only time will tell.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #508 on: January 10, 2017, 07:05:51 pm »
Just to prove I am impartial regarding peoples parking habits.......look were this bloke broke down(?) yesterday lunch time! :o

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2017, 11:09:03 am »
A long way from the Three Towns Area (Kirkcaldy in Fife, Scotland to be exact) but hopefully worth sharing anyway. Oh and I don't know if it was a male or female driver!

How about this for parking in a railway station car park?

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/345806/video-double-decker-car-pile-kirkcaldy-train-station/