Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358901 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #390 on: July 03, 2016, 09:59:12 pm »
Sorry ME, but on consideration, I don't think that irony is the only thing that wasted on you.  ;D
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #391 on: July 03, 2016, 11:08:47 pm »
Not bothered what you think, so b****r off!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #392 on: July 04, 2016, 12:39:19 am »
Ian,  I reiterate my request for a filter facility.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #393 on: July 04, 2016, 03:42:13 pm »
Drivers on the Black Cat roundabout did a double take this morning after spotting a boat blocking one of the lanes.

The motor cruiser had fallen off a trailer as it was being towed across the roundabout at Llandudno Junction.

No-one was hurt in the incident which caused minimal traffic disruption for around half an hour.

“Everybody was driving a little slower as I don’t think they could believe what they were seeing.”

North Wales Police did not attend the incident and the boat was placed back on the trailer at 10.43am
refDP

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #394 on: July 04, 2016, 06:41:45 pm »
Police did not attend to an unsafe load? That should give hope to all, doing 55mph on the A55 through Colwyn Bay!

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #395 on: July 04, 2016, 11:56:58 pm »
Are you a follower of Safespeed.org, ME?

I've had a chance to look at Safespeed.org and there are similar websites giving rational explanations for advocating that Elvis is alive and well and that a higher percentage of people from Alabama than Georgia have been abducted by aliens.

Wikipedia sums up safespeed.org.uk thus:

There have been few formal studies evaluating the claims made by Safe Speed:
George Monbiot has argued that Safe Speed is much more about speed than safety,[3] and is part of a "culture of speed".[4]
The claim that "one third of road deaths are due to speed cameras" was disputed by the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety (PACTS) and by the National Safety Camera Scheme which cite seatbelt and alcohol laws introduced prior to the 1990s, and recent increased road use and mobile phone use as better explanations for the perceived increase in casualties. Safe Speed's method of extrapolating from two years' data is also disputed.[5]
Which? magazine reported that the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety (PACTS) and the National Safety Camera Liaison (NSCL) cite three studies which do allow for long-term trends, and which confirm the correlation between speed cameras and accident reduction. The magazine also reported that the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) disputes Safe Speed’s interpretation of TRL 323.[5] In particular they state that the study was dependent on subjective judgements of primary cause, and that many of the other primary causes listed also implied excessive speed.[5] Other TRL studies (e.g. 421 and 511) have examined the relationship between speed and accidents and suggest a strong association. A study of over 300 roads, encompassing several hundred thousand observations, demonstrated that the higher the average speed of traffic on a given type of road, the more accidents there are. The study also demonstrated that injury accidents rise as average speed increases (if all else remains constant). (My emphasis.)

These are not opinions, they are scientific studies, the conclusion's of which are the obvious correlation between speed and accidents.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #396 on: July 05, 2016, 08:53:24 pm »
Back along I traveled up to Cairo with a Police Inspector from Ras Gharib on the Gulf of Suez. During the journey I ask him what he thought of the new high speed road that had just been completed between Suez and Hurghada. I'm delighted he said because it will make my life so much easier. From now on I shall just have to dispose of the dead bodies, instead of having to look after lots of people with minor injuries.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #397 on: July 06, 2016, 07:51:53 am »
The chap who now looks after Safespeed.org is the same chap who programmed the titles and game graphics in the TV show, Catchphrase. I've known him for years and he's a bright bloke, but debating with him is pointless on this subject since he's convinced speed cameras cause more deaths than they prevent. When you point out to him that the stats don't support that he then argues that some abstruse mathematical method was contrived to suggest that by the Government.   
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #398 on: July 06, 2016, 08:59:22 am »
The chap who now looks after Safespeed.org is the same chap who programmed the titles and game graphics in the TV show, Catchphrase.
I hope he's better at that than at website design. It was like going back in time to 1996.  :laugh:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: July 06, 2016, 09:05:18 am »
I think it was even earlier when he did it. Wasn't it early-'90s?  Mind you, it was Paul Smith who started it, but he died.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #400 on: July 06, 2016, 09:35:54 am »
I think it was even earlier when he did it. Wasn't it early-'90s?  Mind you, it was Paul Smith who started it, but he died.
The first website I designed was back in 1994, I used Netscape Composer.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: July 06, 2016, 10:51:46 am »
Can't remember what I first used. But you do have the advantage of a creative and artistic mind. The Safespeed site was designed by a mathematician. But I agree it's rather tired.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: July 23, 2016, 08:46:39 am »
Well, on the busiest Saturday in the year for arrivals, here's a good site to watch the A55 at various points:

http://www.tindish.com/cams/a55/

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #403 on: July 23, 2016, 10:41:53 am »
A very helpful link, for those busy weekends, and checking road conditions especially in the winter.    $good$

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #404 on: July 23, 2016, 10:45:38 am »
That's really useful, thanks.