Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358486 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #345 on: April 19, 2016, 08:27:10 pm »
Muppets, I ride a bike for fun sometimes, very easy to follow the roadsigns!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #346 on: April 20, 2016, 12:13:28 pm »
First Minister Carwyn Jones wants to let the people of North Wales rename the A55

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/first-minister-wants-a55-renamed-11211019

And the replies......................

Here's what you think the A55 should be called

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/heres-what-you-think-a55-11212698

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #347 on: April 20, 2016, 01:01:10 pm »
Just goes to show how far out ot touch Carwyn Jones is with North Wales.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: April 20, 2016, 01:34:20 pm »
Roady McRoadface?

The NW car park?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #349 on: May 13, 2016, 09:14:17 am »
A55 'performing efficiently' says special transport report.

The A55 is performing efficiently most of the time according to a specially commissioned report on transport in Wales.
The new Welsh Government needs to overhaul the way Wales decides on major transport investments, according to the report by a leading expert.
In the report Moving Wales Forward commissioned by the Federation of Small Businesses in Wales, Professor Stuart Cole concludes that Wales needs a new methodology for making decisions when it comes to transport schemes.

He found that whilst many of the businesses questioned cited issues of road congestion, official journey speed maps for Wales showed that the average speed along major routes such as the A55 were 60-70mph.

He said this suggested that the road network is performing efficiently on major routes outside of peak-time pinch points like the Britannia bridge over the Menai Strait, at Llanfairfechan and at the Ewloe (A494) and Post House/ Wrexham bypass junction (A483).

MORE   http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/a55-performing-efficiently-says-special-11325564

Offline Hugo

« Reply #350 on: May 28, 2016, 11:09:45 am »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2016, 07:21:50 pm »
Another nutter on the A55 in Colwyn Bay but will the Police follow up the bad driving and no tax or MOT on the car and therefore no valid insurance either?           &shake&

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/watch-shocking-moment-a55-driver-11408302

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2016, 07:37:12 am »
I was just wondering if they'd also do the person filming it for crimes against music...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #353 on: June 01, 2016, 08:16:40 am »
It's a generally held misconception that not having an MOT or Road Fund Licence, or even having a defective tyre, invalidates car insurance. It does not, however, the insurance company might in some cases, only on pay out third party claims in the event of an accident.

With nearly 200,000 people injured on UK roads every year, with 1,750 deaths, I just don't believe that safety on UK roads is taken seriously. Would society accept four jumbo jets crashing in the UK every year?

Also, have you noticed the 'cash-back' schemes on small inexpensive cars like Saxo's etc? The 'cash-back' is in effect, for teenage drivers to pay for their insurance. Who are the most dangerous drivers? Plus, the lack of dedicated Road Policing Officers makes a substantial difference.

Please don't whinge to me about 'Draconian' speeding fines and penalties for poor driving, I personally would double the sentences and make them mandatory. Locally, someone with a diabolical driving record killed three people driving at 90mph in a 30 mph area well over the limit having taken drink and drugs. He was out of prison in 5 years. For killing three young people.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #354 on: June 01, 2016, 11:01:57 pm »
It's a generally held misconception that not having an MOT or Road Fund Licence, or even having a defective tyre, invalidates car insurance. It does not, however, the insurance company might in some cases, only on pay out third party claims in the event of an accident.

Bosun, you are quite correct on that point but I wouldn't advise anyone to put it to the test because the Insurance companies are notorious for not paying out whenever they can avoid it.
In this instance they would have had a valid reason not to.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #355 on: June 02, 2016, 08:20:37 am »

Bosun, you are quite correct on that point but I wouldn't advise anyone to put it to the test because the Insurance companies are notorious for not paying out whenever they can avoid it.
In this instance they would have had a valid reason not to.

As I said, the absence of an MOT, Road Fund Licence or a minor vehicle defect does not invalidate legitimately held insurance. It would take a major issue, of which the owner of the vehicle must have been aware, for the insurance company to invalidate a claim.

The only case that I know of personally was where a Rover steering column was repaired by the owner of the vehicle who lost the nut holding the steering wheel on. To hold the steering wheel on, he panned over the end of the steering column with a hammer. Pulling out onto a dual carriageway, (unsurprisingly) the steering wheel came off and the car veered across the carriageway and was struck by a lorry killing the female passenger. The driver was detained in hospital with a Police guard because of (understandable) threats from the passenger's family to his life. In that case, unsurprisingly, the insurance company denied the drivers claim, but paid out for third party liability.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #356 on: June 27, 2016, 04:58:59 pm »
I was gobsmacked reading this, so I thought I would share my gobsmackiness with you all.     &shake&

Trailer bristling with blades that could have cut someone's legs off stopped on A55
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/trailer-blades-a55-police-llandegai-11532798

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #357 on: June 27, 2016, 05:44:38 pm »
Unbelievable! How stupid can you be to do that?  &shake&

Offline SteveH

« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2016, 11:18:13 am »
Another 'hidden' speed camera van spotted near Glan Conwy.

The GoSafe van was spotted by a driver from Ty’n-y-Groes in the Conwy valley just after 10pm on a stretch of the A470.

It was parked at the changeover from a 60mph to 30mph zone and a spokesman for Go Safe said the vehicle was operating “within guidelines for the positioning of speed detection vans”.

“The van was parked well outside the centre of Glan Conwy at a quiet spot where there were no pedestrians and I can never remember this being a place where there have been accidents in the past.

“When they use a speed van at dusk at a point where the speed limit goes from 60mph to 30mph and there are no real safety issues you get the feeling it is more about catching out drivers than improving road safety.”

MORE and 11 comments .......  http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/another-hidden-speed-camera-van-11539332

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:07 pm »
The horrible speed tax cameras are just out to get cash. Time to get rid of them!  $angry$