Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358337 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Road conditions in the area
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2015, 08:09:45 pm »

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:55 pm »
Something to look forward to in 2017

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/a55-two-year-traffic-misery-10295540

There's not a lot of room for the two east bound slip ways when you consider the proximity of the railway lines.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2015, 08:48:00 pm »
They should have thought of that when they designed the A55,  but it was all done as cheaply as possible and now there are ongoing problems with it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2015, 09:04:35 am »
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2015, 11:40:55 am »
They should have thought of that when they designed the A55,  but it was all done as cheaply as possible and now there are ongoing problems with it.
The work to remove the roundabouts is long overdue, but can only cause traffic chaos whilst it is being carried out. As has been said, it should have been done properly in the first place.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2015, 11:45:25 am »
       When we were returning home from a day trip to Dublin very early this morning there were traffic lights in operation at about 1 a.m. on either side of the Penmaenbach tunnel, (which is completely closed at night for the lighting updating work), and only one lane at a time in operation using only the outer lane around the headland.
     We were lucky as the lights were on green as we approached from the Penmaenmawr side and we were in amongst a large convoy of HGVs from the ferries which docked in Holyhead around midnight but there were quite a few queueing on the Conwy side at the red light en route to catch the outgoing ferries. I don't know what time this system comes into operation every night but as we were going to Holyhead yesterday morning at about 7 a.m. there was just one lane using the tunnel and no delays although the road was very busy.
     I realise that there is no alternative to this system as there is definitely not much room for two of those massive HGVs on a contraflow system around the the outer lanes of the headland, but if there is any problem on the one lane in the tunnel  travelling towards Bangor (as I believe there was on Tuesday) there is no alternative route available to use once you are "trapped" on the A55, although I note that there are plans to install ECRs ( emergency crossing routes/gates) like the ones between Aber and Llandegai every 2.5k in the future but that won't help in the Penmaenbach area with the present system.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2015, 11:50:37 am »
The Tunnels are another example of penny pinching when the A55 was built, using the old route as one lane is obviously unsuitable for a major road but was a lot cheaper than building two tunnels.

Offline Dave

« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2015, 05:31:42 pm »
The Tunnels are another example of penny pinching when the A55 was built, using the old route as one lane is obviously unsuitable for a major road but was a lot cheaper than building two tunnels.

The odd thing is that it's a 30mph limit now that traffic is using it as a dual carriage way, when things were coming at you head on it was the maximum speed limit if I recall correctly.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: October 23, 2015, 07:44:52 am »
I think you're right. As Dave R has said to leave that convoluted road in place as one carriageway was just penny pinching.   
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #279 on: November 30, 2015, 05:23:21 pm »
Not exactly road conditions but these efforts at parking don't help anyone.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-worst-parking-back-10517518

Offline Hugo

« Reply #280 on: December 12, 2015, 03:56:06 pm »
There was quite a lot of flood water on the road from Llandudno Junction to Deganwy earlier today but some places have had it worse.

Flood warnings as rain affects travel in north and mid Wales

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35077060

Offline Hugo

« Reply #281 on: December 26, 2015, 05:05:03 pm »
Homes evacuated and A5 and A55 shut in north Wales floods

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35181479

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: December 27, 2015, 10:59:15 am »
Update: A470 closed both ways between Glan Conwy and Betwys. A5 closed at Corwen.

Upon approaching one of the chaps from the Environment agency in Llanrwst last night and asking him where was the expensive flood barrier defence installed in 2012, he replied "The key's in Llandudno...".  He might not have been telling the truth, I suppose, but I do know from their website how badly organised the Environment Agency is. Could they be so inept that the key required to activate the flood defence system is kept in Llandudno?  That'd make a nice piece for the Daily Post...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #283 on: December 27, 2015, 02:26:19 pm »
We went for lunch yesterday to Tyddyn Llan in Llandrillo and had to drive through the River Dee flood at Corwen. The water was crashing across the road like a stormy sea and that was just the water from the fields going across the road, not the torrent that was going under the bridge.
Quite a scary sight and not a good day for driving anywhere.
Fab lunch though, Dover sole!

$dins$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: December 29, 2015, 11:19:07 am »
Once again, the A55 has been closed due to flooding, and this is after £3,000,000 of work was carried out to prevent flooding back in 2013. From what I've seen myself, the work consisted of relaying a French drain along the side of the road - how anyone could think that would be able to cope with the massive volumes of water seen draining off the fields during heavy rain is beyond me? If you study the topography of the land at that point, the answer is straightforward - build large ditches on either side of the road that drain the floodwater straight into the Ogwen river that is only several hundred feet away in the Bangor direction.

Photo courtesy of Gerallt Jones.