Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 358421 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #1350 on: September 21, 2021, 04:05:18 pm »
I have just driven back from Llangernyw via Eglwysbach.  On the steep hairpin bend down Pennant Hill into Eglwysbach met a long artic carrying heavy plant - stuck as he tried to get round the bend - an impossibility.  He did manage to reverse then drive forward into the farm track so I, and the postman behind me, could get past, and the oncoming queue could also get past.  I advised him to walk to the farm and see if he could turn round there, then he would be the right way to take the road up from the hairpin.  I didn't wait to see if that suggestion worked!

I followed the postman down the hill to find a coach turning round in the next entrance, just managed it but took some of the banking out.  That, in turn, meant that the three cars coming up all had to reverse some distance down hill.

Seems people were going that way, having left the A470 at Tal-y-Cafn due to the blockage mentioned above (which I was aware of as it had been on the radio), and then the road from Graig to Bodnant was closed for some reason.

Aren't sat navs wonderful ?

Incidentally, I used to be in a pop group called the Broken Sat Navs ... we didn't get anywhere !!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1351 on: September 22, 2021, 03:30:32 pm »
That reminds me of the time when there was a blockage on the A55 between Aber and Tal Y Bont.    Traffic was not moving at all and one lorry driver who was fed up of it all used his Sat Nav in order to avoid the delay.
Anyway the Sat Nav took him down Yr Hen Ffordd and if anyone has had the misfortune to go down that single track lane they will know about the problems there.
He inevitably got stuck in the lane and it took the recovery vehicle seven hours to release him, so much for Sat Navs and being impatient.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1352 on: September 29, 2021, 02:08:57 pm »
farmer Rhodri Lloyd-Williams posted the tongue-in-cheek picture...Who needs petrol ? ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1353 on: October 18, 2021, 11:50:01 am »
Reduced speed limits and more cameras on the A55 to help with roadworks
More speed limits have been introduced on a stretch of the A55 as work continues on the road.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/reduced-speed-limits-more-cameras-21884525

Offline Dave

« Reply #1354 on: October 19, 2021, 06:37:40 pm »
Sadly it appears someone died this afternoon as a result of an accident involving two cars on the A470 near Bodysgallen hall.
It might not save me but I am pleased I have invested in a dash camera for many reasons.

Offline SteveH

Re: Roads in the area......A55
« Reply #1355 on: October 21, 2021, 01:43:10 pm »
A large stretch of the westbound A55 is to be closed for six nights to carry out carriageway repairs,

The work will affect the westbound carriageway between junction 27 at St Asaph and junction 24 at Abergele.

It will be carried out in two phases, the first being on Wednesday and Thursday, October 27-28.

Westbound lanes will be closed for a further four nights from Monday to Thursday, November 1-4.

The closures will remain in place from 8pm to 6am between the junction 27 offslip and junction 24 onslip roads.

Traffic will be diverted at junction 27 at St Asaph along the A525 towards Rhuddlan, then along the A547 towards Abergele, before returning onto the westbound A55 carriageway at junction 24 at Abergele.

Vehicles over three metres will be prohibited from travelling along the diversion route.

Traffic Wales said the closures are needed to complete “essential CAT 1 surface repairs”.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/seven-mile-long-stretch-a55-21923051

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1356 on: October 21, 2021, 05:09:43 pm »
Vehicles over three metres will be prohibited from travelling along the diversion route.

But most cars are longer than 3m...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1357 on: October 21, 2021, 08:58:55 pm »
My car being 4.5 metres long (Honda Civic) I googled out of curiosity and found this ...

What is the shortest car in the UK?
Smallest cars on sale in the UK 2021

Renault Twizy (2,319mm)
    Smart ForTwo (2,695mm) ...
    Toyota Aygo (3,465mm) ...
    Citroen C1 (3,466mm) ...
    Peugeot 108 (3,475mm) ...
    Smart ForFour (3,495mm) ...
    Fiat 500 (3,571mm) ...
    Kia Picanto (3,595mm) ...

I think they mean 3 metres WIDE (my Civic is just on 2 metres) otherwise you won't be able to use the diversion unless you're driving a short  SMART or a Twizy !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1358 on: October 23, 2021, 10:36:32 am »
Just after 8.00 am this morning I was driving down the unadopted part of Pen Y Bryn Road Colwyn Bay and stopped at the T junction at the top of the hill.     Traffic coming up King's Drive has the right of way anyway but it is always safer to stop and look out for traffic coming from both directions.      No vehicles were coming so I was prepared to go down the hill when out of the darkness a young guy appeared on an electric scooter and he went down the hill. 
The road is surrounded by tall trees and has numerous bends in it and it is always dark driving along it.    The scooter had no lights on it and the guy wore dark clothes with no helmet either.
I had to follow him down the hill until it was safe to overtake but he was doing over 20 mph on the scooter.     Further down the hill I could see a car coming down the hill at a fast speed with its headlights full on and thought that this situation was an accident waiting to happen.
I'm not sure whether it is legal to drive those electric scooters on the main roads in the UK but it's another obstacle to watch out for in future

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1359 on: October 23, 2021, 10:44:12 am »
To my knowledge it is illegal, also some unscrupulous sellers are telling buyers they are legal, which is not helping, pity cause I fancied one myself ! 

Offline Dave

« Reply #1360 on: October 24, 2021, 01:40:59 pm »
I read it's illegal to use one on a public highway without insurance and no insurance companies are offering cover unless it's to a scooter rental company. I imagine as such they can, if caught, be impounded by the police and scrapped, just like they can cars that are uninsured too.
They certainly shouldn't be used on pavements either!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1361 on: October 24, 2021, 03:38:09 pm »
Dave,  I think that it is illegal anyway to drive an electric scooter on a public road, with or without insurance.      If you are familiar with King's Drive in Colwyn Bay you'll know how dangerous it can be just driving in a car.
Wearing dark clothes, no helmet or lights and going downhill at over 20 mph is a recipe for disaster.    I was very aware of the guy but I'm not sure about the car about 100 yards  behind me because he was driving like a bat out of hell.

It does scare you and I was very aware of the scooter rider when I came down the hill this morning but others may not have experienced what I did yesterday

Offline Dave

« Reply #1362 on: October 25, 2021, 09:21:42 am »
I decided to investigate further Hugo!
They are without a doubt a menace when in the wrong hands and ridden irresponsibly.
https://www.nationalworld.com/news/transport/are-e-scooters-legal-the-uk-laws-on-when-and-where-you-can-ride-them-and-are-they-safe-3316708

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1363 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:13 am »
Thanks for posting that Dave as it was interesting to read but also disturbing to think that this type of transport is increasing.     Coming down King's Drive is quite daunting at the best of times.      There are blind left hand bends with no pavement on that side and the standard of driving isn't the best, especially during peak times and school runs

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1364 on: November 01, 2021, 12:36:39 pm »
8 cars seized at Tesco and North Wales resort beach by police in anti-social driving crackdown
Another 12 were slapped with notices and orders, as officers took action over the weekend
Well done NWP          $good$

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/8-cars-seized-tesco-north-22027208